Sad state at the local gamecenter

Freelancer

Banned
Went to the local arcade/gamecenter (whatever you want to call it) today to play some KOF2002 and SVC Chaos. Since SVC Chaos has been out on XBOX for about a month now, I figured for certain that I'd have some worthwhile opponents to play against in person. Man, was I in for a surprise. The number of challengers I encountered for the 1 and half hours I was there was...brace yourselves....zero! Not one challenger! Hell, not one person even came up anywhere NEAR the two MVS machines in the entire time I was there!

But of course, the fags were at it with their beloved gay DDR machines! Those overweight tubmasters were skipping and bouncing around on those godforsaken machines causing the entire floor to shake and reek of perspiration. I'm shocked and saddened...is this how it is everywhere in the US nowadays, even with the proliferation of Neo games on the mainstream consoles? :crying:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Freelancer said:
But of course, the fags were at it with their beloved gay DDR machines! Those overweight tubmasters were skipping and bouncing around on those godforsaken machines causing the entire floor to shake and reek of perspiration. I'm shocked and saddened...is this how it is everywhere in the US nowadays, even with the proliferation of Neo games on the mainstream consoles? :crying:

Only a few arcades have some competition left.
I'm thinking about 70% are nearing death, or turning into a
Gun, Driving, and Dancing game center. One of my local arcades
turned into one these not long ago, all fighters were wiped out,
only games from the genres above are now on the floor. Only
three good arcades around my area have competition: Sunnyvale Golfland,
Bearcade (UC Berkeley), and the tilt arcade in Solano county, everything
else is dead, or turned into one of the above mentioned.

I really hate those faggots dancing on those ddr machines. Some of them
get so into it, that don't seem to realize that people walk around by and
usually bump into them. It's hard to accept that this is what US arcades
are turning into, but I guess we have to live with it..

Last edited:

datalogik

Zero's Tailor,
DDR is awesome.

Believe it or not it gives you a good cardio workout.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
At least you guys still have games machines there. The arcades I used to go to as a child are now full of one arm bandits. Not a video game in sight, not even a ddr.

SNKJorge

datalogik said:
DDR is awesome.

Believe it or not it gives you a good cardio workout.

I think the only people who should really play these games are
asians. They don't look as ridiculous as the overgrown fucktards
I see dancing on these pieces of shit.
That's what the gym is for.

Freelancer

Banned
xtoo_short20x said:
Only a few arcades have some competition left.
I'm thinking about 70% are nearing death, or turning into a
Gun, Driving, and Dancing game center. One of my local arcades
turned into one these not long ago, all fighters were wiped out,
only games from the genres above are now on the floor. Only
three good arcades around my area have competition: Sunnyvale Golfland,
Bearcade (UC Berkeley), and the tilt arcade in Solano county, everything
else is dead, or turned into one of the above mentioned.

I really hate those faggots dancing on those ddr machines. Some of them
get so into it, that don't seem to realize that people walk around by and
usually bump into them. It's hard to accept that this what the US arcades
are turning into, but I guess we have to live with it..

Yeah, I mean, 6 months ago (the last time I was at this particular arcade), there were a few people who'd challenge you at KOF2k2. Me having the MVS version at home to practice with, I usually managed to hold my own. SVC back then was pretty much the same...nobody played it simply because they assumed it "was old" compared to the retarded Marvel vs. Capcom game next to it.

But now, nothing. The Tekken 4 machine got more plays today than any of the 2D fighters. I guess online gaming really is the only true way to get any sort of competition going as far as fighters are concerned. Oh how I wish I lived in Japan.... :crying:

SNKJorge

Freelancer said:
But now, nothing. The Tekken 4 machine got more plays today than any of the 2D fighters. I guess online gaming really is the only true way to get any sort of competition going as far as fighters are concerned. Oh how I wish I lived in Japan.... :crying:

Well, I'm sure most people are more familiar with Tekken than with any
other 2D fighter (Other than SFII)...

Not only that, Tekken is '3D' so that's a plus to them.

I'm glad I'll be leaving this country after graduation (Still a few yrs from happening
but eventually the time will come).

The Latin American arcades are still going, just as strong as they're in Japan,
if not more.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Well, I just discovered a pretty good arcade near my place, its got only 1 DDR machine(surprise surprise)They've got Soul Calibur 2, CvS2, MvC2, SvC, MvSF, and my favorite, MOTW(WITH NO MOTHER FUCKING D BUTTON :very_ang: ) There is a lot of good competition for CvS2, MvC2, and SC2, but everything else gets pretty neglected, most people will play SvC while they're waiting for their turn in CvS2.

Family Fun Arcade is about 45min away from me, and there is some of the best competition there in all of the states in damn near all fighters, they recently got CFJ, so I might go check that out sooner or later.

datalogik

Zero's Tailor,
xtoo_short20x said:

LOL. The home version.

There's no way in hell I'm going to make a fool of myself in public.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Freelancer said:
Went to the local arcade/gamecenter (whatever you want to call it) today to play some KOF2002 and SVC Chaos. Since SVC Chaos has been out on XBOX for about a month now, I figured for certain that I'd have some worthwhile opponents to play against in person. Man, was I in for a surprise. The number of challengers I encountered for the 1 and half hours I was there was...brace yourselves....zero! Not one challenger! Hell, not one person even came up anywhere NEAR the two MVS machines in the entire time I was there!
Believe it or not, I found a little competition at...Best Buy. Over the last week, whenever I go in there, they have it on the big screen with always a small group of people standing around and playing. I can't really get the feel for the Xbox controller, but it's still pretty fun to play against real people. The other thing that surprises me is the number of people picking SNK characters. One guy today had a Kasumi who whooped my ass twice pretty quickly. I wouldn't have expected the average schmo on the street to even know who she was, much less how to combo with her and her exceed (especially on an xbox controller). Fun.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
SouthtownKid said:
Believe it or not, I found a little competition at...Best Buy. Over the last week, whenever I go in there, they have it on the big screen with always a small group of people standing around and playing. I can't really get the feel for the Xbox controller, but it's still pretty fun to play against real people. The other thing that surprises me is the number of people picking SNK characters. One guy today had a Kasumi who whooped my ass twice pretty quickly. I wouldn't have expected the average schmo on the street to even know who she was, much less how to combo with her and her exceed (especially on an xbox controller). Fun.

Hahaha...which Best Buy is this, may have to stop by.

As for fighting competition, every time I go to arcades around here, SVC is by far the most crowded around (besides the icon of faggotry that is DDR). Much moreso than Third Strike...which is a damn shame actually. Even got loads of competition in '03 and MOTW.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shirt in a Can said:
Hahaha...which Best Buy is this, may have to stop by.
Sawtelle and Pico in West L.A.... I'm tempted to bring a stick...

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:

I seen this guy get on the ddr machine and start running back and forth on the hardest setting across both pads getting nil perfect..

On one hand i was like this guy is nuts after noting that he had just dropped his BRIEFCASE from getting off his office job. The guy was in a business suit.

And on the other i was amazed to see this white dude kicking everyones ass on the game in the arcade who was playing it at the time. LOL

Thought it was funny. Anyhow i have never tried the game.. and the best players i have ever seen were white guys, I was at orbits and these white dudes were running the asians on there own ddr pads (a complete asian mall with some of the best setup candycabs back to back i have ever seen). Not all of them are dorky overclunked uncoordinated dipshits.

eclypse

Banned
Maybe they just need to make free fighting game hang outs hehe Maybe dropin the quarter or 50 cent is just stupid for us now adays with the console being so popular.. Just put a damn neo geo system in there and put it free play.. hehe. That'll bring'em back!

Then they can make money sellin snacks and drinks..ect.

mvsplayer

Cheng's Errand Boy
eclypse said:
Maybe they just need to make free fighting game hang outs hehe Maybe dropin the quarter or 50 cent is just stupid for us now adays with the console being so popular.. Just put a damn neo geo system in there and put it free play.. hehe. That'll bring'em back!

Then they can make money sellin snacks and drinks..ect.

hell ya!

a arcade with a two drink minimum!

I hate dancing. I hate looking like an immature fool. So therefore I would hate^2 playing on a DDR machine.

I'm so fucking ashamed of the arcade scene but I guess its just the next step in the marketingness of it all. PS2, Xbox, and GC all have had gfx equal to arcade games for some time now, as we all know well enough. We grew up with arcades, now we have to let them die as now they are just ticket munching, activity-oriented play stations, no pun intended.

Seems now the American arcade scene is more for kids than ever before. Ticket machines, coin soccer, and novelty gun/driving/DDR machines. Hell why the fuck aren't Pachinko machines not blazing fires in the states anyway?

Fuck all that man, we all got our NEO's and other Jamma shit. I'm happy I can still hold onto what I got.

EDIT: Dave n Busters is the worst fucking arcade ever designed. $7 drinks, cliche mainstream mee too popular ipod tweenebopper soccer lovin coin munchin ticket eatin rid teh motorbike kuz it will imprez my uber hot date in 4" heels b/c I hear this is teh dope place to get laid after kuz all teh Playstationkids are here with teh uber ticket cups geting more dumb shit pookie items at the store? Oh should I get a Dave n Buster's towel? NO NO I want a MnM toy. NO YOU DICK I want those bracelets kuz Suzie will like'em too.

Fuck. Film at fucking eleven:help:

Last edited:

eclypse

Banned
AHhh thats it man get it all out!

Yes it sucks! I guess we must hope that more realistic games will come out and save the arcade seen.. Stuff like a real motion fighting game maybe or better real virtual fighting.

I dont understand why the local arcades aint takin hint to the new multiplayer aspect of online gaming by installing multipal gaming rigs in there arcade for major lan parties.

Division

Crossed Swords Squire
Last time I had fun in an arcade was back in the days of Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, and Fatal Fury 2.

I played SFII for 5 1/2 hours on $0.50....nobody could beat me. Best run I ever had I think. Nothing like getting other gamers so pissed they punch and crack the glass on the cab and get hauled off to the hospital by cops because of their broken hand. ROFL!!!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yep, mine has a SVC machine and even a Time Crisis machine, and everyone is playing that craptastic DDR!

eclypse

Banned
heh someone needs to get out there and bust up all those DDR machines!

Yup SFII was the days! THat was the best time at the local arcade. Hell i helped bring in the Mortal Combat machine in our local arcade and i was one of the frsit to play it hehe..

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
eclypse said:
heh someone needs to get out there and bust up all those DDR machines!

Yup SFII was the days! THat was the best time at the local arcade. Hell i helped bring in the Mortal Combat machine in our local arcade and i was one of the frsit to play it hehe..
hey I still can remember when at seven I was standing on a box playing street fighter 2 but now I look for comp in laundromats and shit. So once in a blue moon I meet someone who knows what they're doing and we have it out.

xtoo_short20x said:

haha. Asians? I find that hard to believe.

SNKJorge

Phil ver0 (TFF) said:
haha. Asians? I find that hard to believe.

It's much better to see a pair of asian girls, who actually know what they're doing,
than an overweight faggot who is only there to look 'cool'. :oh_no:

Point is, these machines are pointless pieces of shit, all arcades are turning
into this, sad.