S-video prob. Red/Blue Grid

syringe

Banned
While the picture is much sharper than composite I'm getting a grid of alternating red and blue vertical lines composed of dots, when using s-video

While lowering the sharpness on my tv helps a bit.

Is there any way to fix this or am I just going to have to live with it?

*using a gold plated $10 svideo cable from radio shack

*27' Panasonic Standard Tube TV, manufactured in 2001. 2003 vers of my tv

The problem appears using my s-video switch box, and when it's directly jacked into my tv although to a slightly lesser extent.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Wallace

Sieger's Squire
Can you give a little more information regarding what it is you are having trouble with.

Are you using an RGB Encoder, DVD Player, Neo Geo Home System with S-Video, Upscan Converter, other Video Game System....or?????

syringe

Banned
oops sorry,It's a late model japanese AES system. the problem only shows up on the neo-geo, not any of my other consoles , if I use them through the switchbox , or directly into the svid port.

*s-video internal mod
*stereo mod
*my dvd player is using the component inputs so I'm not using it as a pass through if thats what you mean.

Last edited:

syringe

Banned
nope I don't have another tv in the house with S-Vid to test it on, edit it shows up on composite too, just too a lesser extent :(

Last edited:

syringe

Banned
*bump*

I brought it to my friend's house for a few rounds of SNK vs Capcom over there. It turns out he has Svid, so I tried it over there and the red/blue lines show up on his 27' Trinitron, and composite.

I borrowed one of his cables, and the cabling isn't a factor.

So it's not my tv, or the cables, I also unplugged the sound because others mentioned it might be a shielding issue, and there's absolutely no change.

So once again, can someone offer a solution, or advice that would aid me in fixing this problem.

SSS

neo retired
Where is this "grid" appearing on the screen? Only on stuff like semi transparent life bars, or all over?

syringe

Banned
all over the screen top to bottom, it's just more apparent on the life bars, and whenever there's a solid amount of black, red or really any color on the screen. especially at the intro to SvC, it's also absolutely stationary.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Scanline said:
all over the screen top to bottom, it's just more apparent on the life bars, and whenever there's a solid amount of black, red or really any color on the screen. especially at the intro to SvC, it's also absolutely stationary.

Is it anything similar to what's going on in the mist in the picture below?

ss2colors.gif

syringe

Banned
kind of but it's red/blue only, it's screen wide, slightly fainter so it's like a "ghost image" over the entire screen and the lines are more dottish (is that even a word?)

SSS

neo retired
That picture was taken from one of my systems through composite video. The bars of color stay still. I've seen other systems where they scroll very fast so you don't really notice them. I only notice them on objects the neo geo tries to simulate transparencies with a mesh like block of pixels. The mist is ss2, the panels in Basara's stage in SS3, Hanzo's galford's arms, power bars in KOF 96 etc.... Never noticed them all over the screen.

The svideo mod in one of my systems helps eliminate them for the most part, but they still show up time to time. I have no knowlege of electronics, but I think it has to do with the RGB signal getting crammed into the composite. Most svideo mods where the crap is soldered on top of the video chips is kind of just a patch. For best results for svideo you'd want to run the RGB directly into a seperate video converter, like the JROK. You won't notice that "rainbow" effect on arcade cabs and superguns/consolized systems that have a decent video converter.

Your problem might be something entirely different. See if you could somehow get a screen shot. Through a TV card, video capture etc..

Robert Wallace

Sieger's Squire
Try asking KennyBoy about it, Im sure he may be able to help you.

If you are not comfortable soldering or working with electronics such as IC's and/or resistors then you may want to send it in to be repaired.

Did you do the Mod yourself or did you just buy it already Modded?

I've never tried the AES S-Video Mod but it looks like it can be confusing if you dont know what you are doing:

mod28b.jpg

http://www.neogeousa.com/mod-index.html

syringe

Banned
Theoretically if I can find a neo-geo scart/rgb cable, would using a rgb-yuv convertor box like this:
img_1_46.jpg
be a decent alternative to getting a really clean signal, as my tv has component inputs despite lacking progressive scan.

FABombjoy

n00b
Have you checked for shorts between the chroma/luma signals, both pre and post the buffer circuits?

Last edited: