S-video & component on a NES???

voodoodoctorx

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
i have searched the web and i cannot find a shred of info for doing such a thing. a few days ago i rescued a NES from the neighbors garbage, and im looking to transform this poor forgotten little guy into the ultimate 8-bit machine. so does anyone have any links or info for me? :help:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
That's a tricky mod. It's been done, to some extent, but it's not easy.

The best starting point would be to convert it to RGB output, then use an encoder to do whatever you want after that (the NES doesn't support RGB without swapping parts).

Look at the NES section on this page:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:av_mods

Also, this has been discussed in this thread:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133743

You may also find this article interesting:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.classic/msg/d9e6fc53133bcb76

Last edited:

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
Not a realistic goal in my opnion unless you are like the most hard core NES fan ever. You would first have to do an RGB mod on your nes and then get a 100+ dollar RGB to YPrPb video board for it to work on a standard american componenet TV.

If you just want to expirence NES games in component and sterio I recommend a mod'ed xbox running a good NES emu.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
moding your NES for RGB is not an easy task, more so in the pursuit of the piece required rather then actual labor. The actual NES itself does not output RGB natively. In order to get it to output to RGB you will need the board out of a Nintendo playchoice arcade cab. Being that all arcade boards are made for RGB. That is a problem at 2 points...first, find someone with a board they are willing to sell, and unless somebody is willing to render a working playchoice uselss, thats not gonna happen. and second...yeah, its hard as shit to do anyways. If you want good info on it and cant find it on any posts, contact my buddy Mark, usernam acem77 on here. He did the mod on his, lucky bastard got the board on ebay out of a broken machine for like $18. Im sure he has all the info you will need. good luck.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
Ive got a playchoice 10, but Id only get rid of it as a set most likely.

voodoodoctorx

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
wow thanks Murray for all the great info! after reading through it all im starting to believe it really isnt worth the effort. in the end the color pallet is off and some games become glitchy. i dunno i think ill just keep an eye out for a donor board and go from there.

ulasamosa: apparently VS. duckhunt and tennis use the same chip as the playchoice so finding one of those shouldnt be too hard. the mod itself doesnt look too bad but im sure desoldering those chips isnt fun.

oh yeah check out what i snatched up yesterday from a little church flea market i passed by on the way to the bar. i figured what the hell they might have some loose nes carts but to my surprise i found....
07-17-06_0102.jpg

complete gem mint zeldas plus a few other mint boxed games like RC Pro-Am and bunch of loose carts for $40 bucks :buttrock: ive always heard of people finding cool stuff at those things but everytime ive gone to one ive only found junk.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
It's too bad that all of the unofficial NES systems don't have RGB from the video chip. Some of them have an entire NES on a chip. It would be pretty cool to look into them some more and see if it can be done somehow. Still, the original NES with a TV that has digital comb filtering hooked through composite isn't all too bad really. Someone could easily do a chip project of some sort and eprom burn a chip of some sort. It would probably have to be a series of chips though. One of these days I guess it will happen.