S-C.com CLOSES EARLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
Fygee said:
To say I'm pissed right now would be an understatement. Bad enough they were going to close it, but to just pull this out of nowhere is a complete disservice to the members who have given a lot of time and input to the forums. Free or not, we deserve an explanation.

07-04-03_ownedCat.jpg

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
who cares?

s-c.com is gay, and trieu is lame imo

like shito said, he's all about having the exclusive news/hype

back when svc had it's first videos showing at E3, nruva just went in, took some videos on his camera, checked out what was there, and went home and posted the vids/pics

trieu was hanging around the SNK booth handing out posters acting like he worked there (from what i heard)

so trieu arrives home and wanted to be the first one with this big news, but nruva beat him to the punch

trieu then holds a big grudge against nruva for it

how gay.

radrad

n00b
Ok, I myself have been at SNK-Capcom since May of 2003, in other words, when it first opened its doors. That's right, I'm one of the few.

Explaination or not, I'm glad to see it get a quick painless death rather then a long, slow, and agonizing one. Whether you liked it, or you didn't, SNK-Capcom had a fine community of people who weren't ALL that worried about tier lists and such. I myself will never discount myself as tournament caliber. That's why I usually stay away from such places as ON & SRK.

But anyways, you say S-C people are welcome here? Ok, I'll give this place a shot in the near future, as long as you're kind to me, a Hotaru fanboy. We'll see how it works out.

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
An explanation from TRIEU at the new site:

First of all, accept Chris and my apologies for pulling the plug early. This was not a move that Chris and I had a say in.

We would never disrespect any of our members that way and can understand if some people were very upset at the timing.

The situation that led to s-c.com's closure is purely a legal one, something that is lengthy and more importantly, confidential, which means a public explanation is not possible. This general explanation alone should suffice to give you an understanding of what we're going through.

Posting the reason on our own site does not help the situation as the parties we're involved against reads it on a daily basis.

Any other theories of s-c.com's closure should be thrown out the window. Anyone who thinks this was a marketing scheme to promote s-c.com's name should really be ashamed of themselves. The foundation of the site was based on the growing information, reviews database and forums section, NOT from drama or speculation. THIS was the reason for the growing number of fans for s-c.com.

I can only say that our team (legal and staff) is working on things and we make no promises as to the current situation, as it's not within our complete control.

We are truly honored that the legacy of s-c.com continues here. Great work...especially when it's verbatim. =)

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
radrad said:
Ok, I'll give this place a shot in the near future, as long as you're kind to me, a Hotaru fanboy. We'll see how it works out.

Hotaru fanboys are always welcome in my book. :)

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Seeing how he is selling carts that he sold from Dion (from what some members here are saying, or from what I understand), and seeing how Shawn is supposedly the official seller for AES, I wonder if it has something to do along those lines, then again japangamesnow.com are still selling carts. So I doubt it has something to do with SNKP. Which leaves me with a doubt on whether Capcom is somewhat involved in this...

I really don't care but my guess is something along the lines of either SNKP or Capcom....

aria

Former Moderator
KDash31987 said:

[cut for length, see post above]

There is one lawyer and two law students in our mod squad, along with several other very intelligent individuals who work in technology, science and other fields...

We simply cannot figure out what the hell happened.

Legal issue?

Let's see what legal issues could (even in theory) be on the table:

- ROM dealing? This would make a lot of sense, but I know that site was as hostile towards ROM trading as this one, so no -not in this case.

- Artwork? theoretically possible, but I doubt it. Every game site rips artwork and the companies don't mind because it generates interest in their products.

- Trademark? Again, theoretically possible, but it wouldn't make sense because the site didn't pretend to be SNK or Capcom. Unless they lost the URL to one of the companies, in which case you simply could move the website do a different URL -doesn't make sense here.

- defamation? hah-hah, no. If that happened we'd all go down :D

- Contract dispute? The problem is I can't figure out over what. Hosting? Vinh already said he's got more than enough money to keep the site running, so this doesn't really work. Also, his store is still functioning so clearly it didn't have to do with any of his business stuff.

All of this talk of him having enough money to run the site seems to go against whatever other legal issues that could be thrown up there. I just don't think it's legal (or even a publicity stunt, this would ruin a site's publicity, never help it and Vinh's smart and knows that).

My Theory:
A person can get bored of their own pet website and want to move on and do something else -maybe move somewhere new, get a new job, go back to school, move to a tropical island in the Pacific (there's a ton of possibilities). Do you tell everyone "I'm bored and I want to get out of this so I'm not paying the bills anymore", or do you come up with some "legal issues under confidentiality agreement" that will absolve you of having to say what you really want to say but lets you at least say something.
Hmm... the later? Ding-ding-ding!

------
[It's fun to play detective. Part of what makes this site great is that we welcome all sorts of theory-making. It's helped the community many times before in far more negative, scammer-related, issues.]

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Bobak said:
[It's fun to play detective. Part of what makes this site great is that we welcome all sorts of theory-making. It's helped the community many times before in far more negative, scammer-related, issues.]
heh
NG.com
xfiles.jpg

The Truth Is Out There

icon25.gif

aria

Former Moderator
Kazuki Dash said:
heh
NG.com

The Truth Is Out There

icon25.gif

Shawn is an alien... have proof.... stay vigilant -more to come...

[seriously though, which version sounds more plausible?]

Last edited:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Don't know but this is just getting weirder everytime.

I don't know what to make out of it....

The other thing I can think of is revealing company secrets, though he did say he had insider news, I doubt that was the case, he usually was very vague about it.

BTW, LMAO about the Xfiles.....

aria

Former Moderator
jeff bogard said:
The other thing I can think of is revealing company secrets, though he did say he had insider news, I doubt that was the case, he usually was very vague about it.

Yeah, that's definitely plausible -but can anyone think of anything he might have written? (I never visited their forums much)

That's the danger of trying to be a media source and being close to the company which you're reporting on -you can cause a major screw up if you tip too many of your cards.

Still, I doubt it would've caused the website to get sued into oblivion. I'm sure one strongly worded letter from the offended party's lawyers would've had the offending content removed instantly. Also: the probably result of revealing some secret would've been a souring of relations between the site and the company, but rarely a lawsuit unless S-C.com tried to really screw the bigger company. As a theory, I just don't see its legs.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
KDash31987 said:

This is almost getting dillusional.
Its ridiculous.
SNK Playmore doesnt give a shit. The only proven affiliation they had with a fan site was this one, and this site got actual releases of games to prove it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
KDash31987 said:
Trieu said:
Anyone who thinks this was a marketing scheme to promote s-c.com's name should really be ashamed of themselves.
Blah blah blah, who cares.

You don't want to say what happened, but you don't want people to speculate? Get over it. I've dealt with you, you're a great seller. I've met you in person; you're a nice guy. But grow up. You want people to feel ashamed for absently considering some far out theory? Hahahaha

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If he and Chris had become tired with the website, I don't understand they couldn't have just handed it over to someone else. There was certainly no shortage of people willing to take on the responsibility.

If there is a legal issue, it has to be something with the hosting or something else behind the scenes. Any trademark/copyright issues could've been resolved without totally shutting the site down.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Fygee said:
If he and Chris had become tired with the website, I don't understand they couldn't have just handed it over to someone else. There was certainly no shortage of people willing to take on the responsibility.

If there is a legal issue, it has to be something with the hosting or something else behind the scenes. Any trademark/copyright issues could've been resolved without totally shutting the site down.

$$$$$$$$$

Hosting bills on a website of that size are no doubt huge. Especially considering the amount of media they were hosting.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
c.t.h said:
$$$$$$$$$

Hosting bills on a website of that size are no doubt huge. Especially considering the amount of media they were hosting.

Not entirely true man. My website has a good amount of space and I could host tons of vids. Its not much for me.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
radrad said:
Ok, I myself have been at SNK-Capcom since May of 2003, in other words, when it first opened its doors. That's right, I'm one of the few.

Explaination or not, I'm glad to see it get a quick painless death rather then a long, slow, and agonizing one. Whether you liked it, or you didn't, SNK-Capcom had a fine community of people who weren't ALL that worried about tier lists and such. I myself will never discount myself as tournament caliber. That's why I usually stay away from such places as ON & SRK.

But anyways, you say S-C people are welcome here? Ok, I'll give this place a shot in the near future, as long as you're kind to me, a Hotaru fanboy. We'll see how it works out.

of course you guys are welcome. for every person who gives you shit someone wont... its the internet what can u expect.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
crazynigga9xd.jpg

"I shit on this thread dawg. You bring yor asses up in here
Imma' tear it a new ass yo. Drift small fry! NIGGAZ FO' LIFE!"

:mr_t:

nothingxs

King's Dry Cleaner
Fygee said:
Its not just one guy, its that Neo-Geo.com has a more hostile tone to it overall. I can live with it, but...meh.

The reason being too_short is apparently somehow important to the community even when he's overly -- perhaps religiously -- fanatical about his love for conserving the purity of the Neogeo. Kind of like extremist Christians who think the members of another sect of the overall religion will burn in hell, you know?

I had been posting on S-C every now and then and not been here for a long time. Nice to see the site still doesn't really talk about gameplay at all.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
nothingxs said:
The reason being too_short is apparently somehow important to the community even when he's overly -- perhaps religiously -- fanatical about his love for conserving the purity of the Neogeo. Kind of like extremist Christians who think the members of another sect of the overall religion will burn in hell, you know?

I had been posting on S-C every now and then and not been here for a long time. Nice to see the site still doesn't really talk about gameplay at all.

LOL... I was about to say "He's NOT a mod!" but you edited your post in the midst of my reply :D

We talk about gameplay in gameplay forums. outside we support teh drama and other assorted nonsense.

;) Welcome back!

nothingxs

King's Dry Cleaner
Bobak said:
LOL... I was about to say "He's NOT a mod!" but you edited your post in the midst of my reply

Hell, I caught myself. I was like "holy shit, I wish I could read."

Thanks. But no, there never really is any Gameplay discussion here worth talking about. The most I get of that is IMing The Answer on SRK and shooting the shit about 2K2.

Which I need to talk to him more about. I need to get a team set and get my ass ready for Evo2k5. I intend to put down my hate for 2002 for a year just to represent for SNK at Evo.

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
X-Files? They cannot resolve this. The mistery is big enough.

My Theory: He got bored.

@Jeff: Oh the Location gave me away. I like this site i never gave it a shot, but i will now.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Thing is, nobody gives a fuck here. It's more like it was a dick move, but again we don't give a fuck.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
just here for the +1

i stopped posting there after releasing the svc chaos vids neojedi and i worked on.

might have downloaded a vid or two after that, but didn't ever feel compelled to stick around for anything.

arcadeshock was pretty cool, though.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
kafuin_gaira said:
just here for the +1

i stopped posting there after releasing the svc chaos vids neojedi and i worked on.

might have downloaded a vid or two after that, but didn't ever feel compelled to stick around for anything.

arcadeshock was pretty cool, though.

Yeah after SVC: Chaos came out I basically stopped going there. Hell for a time I didn't even come here. Once I decided to come back I would check there from time to time, but never really post.

Status
Not open for further replies.