Road To Halloween: Classic horror movies from the 20s to the 80s

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I drink your blood is a favorite of mine. Satanic hippies get rabies, fun ensues.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks for all the cool suggestions, guys. I've added some of them to my list. Keep 'em coming!

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Watched Psycho last night for the first time. Wow such a great movie!

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Here are some more suggestions:

Bad Taste (A Peter Jackson special, I enjoyed it.)
The Gate
Wolfen
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
The Hidden
The Sentinel

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I am watching John Carpenters The Fog....

It's Cool... Jamie Lee Curtis was once HAWT...

xROTx

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Just want to add that I also like trashy b-movie stuff :)

Student Bodies. It can't get any more 'b' than this, so, if you really watch it through, you'll get the Purple Heart for sure...

o_STUDENT_BODIES_front.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Tak,
I am not sure if you like movies from Asia. Mr. Vampire (1985), produced by Samo Hung, is a classic horror + kung fu + comedy from Hong Kong. The Japanese audience liked it so much that they made a Mr. Vampire game for the NES: Reigen Doushi (Famicom) Phantom Fighter (NES)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089371/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Vampire

Cheers mate, thanks to you I just watched this. Thankfully the full movie was up on a streaming video site with a Mandarin dub.

It's a goofy, mid-80s Hong Kong movie - with those expectations, I was satisfied.

I like that scene in the beginning at the restaurant, where egg tarts and coffee is considered high class...man. Makes me wonder if there were any movies filmed in a McDonald's back in that era where people dressed all nice and it was considered chic as well.

Also, it was Phantom Fighter?! I thought I knew everything there was to know about NES games, and here's the first new thing I learned in 10 years...

Good lookout for the cookout, brodeo.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
This is what I've bought so far:

Pumpkinhead
The Funhouse
In The Mouth Of Madness
The Omen
La Terza Madre
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Salem's Lot (1975)
Phantasm
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
Tenebre

However, lots of other good stuff has been named here so I guess I'll have to do some more shopping. I had some of the movies I bought on DVD on VHS already but most of them are quite worn-out now so I thought it can't hurt to expand my library a little more.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

Pumpkinhead
The Funhouse
In The Mouth Of Madness
The Omen
La Terza Madre
Salem's Lot (1975)
Phantasm
Tenebre

However, lots of other good stuff has been named here so I guess I'll have to do some more shopping. I had some of the movies I bought on DVD on VHS already but most of them are quite worn-out now so I thought it can't hurt to expand my library a little more.

Interested in what you do regarding the language on films - obviously you speak English, do you watch English films in English? That might seem like an obvious question but if your other half doesn't speak English then maybe it's not quite so straightforward.

Dubbed versus subtitles?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Interested in what you do regarding the language on films - obviously you speak English, do you watch English films in English? That might seem like an obvious question but if your other half doesn't speak English then maybe it's not quite so straightforward.

Dubbed versus subtitles?

I mostly watch them in English/the original language, on some I activate subtitles if available.

There are some very good German dubs of older movies, though. Voice acting is a big thing over here and translations usually are okay, at least in older stuff. A good example would be Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, they even nailed the timbre of the original voices to a T.

Naika

Street Hoop Star

Pumpkinhead
The Funhouse
In The Mouth Of Madness
The Omen
La Terza Madre
Salem's Lot (1975)
Phantasm
Tenebre

The Omen is my opinion is well made and features some great suspense / build-up. Damien is just a creepy, creepy kid. Amazing film!