Right fekkers listen

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
This Sony=inferior build quality is beginning to annoy me.
Now I don't know how much you people are into importing, but I import everything. I only play JPN games.
Over the years I have come to find that SCEI (Japan) produce is always of high quality.
It's only once SCEA (USA) and SCEE (Europe) get their hands on things that the quality goes downhill. This PSP thing is an exception to the rule, but 5,000 out of 500,000 isn't really many at all.
I still have my SCPH-1000 PlayStation and it works as good as the day I bought it in December 1994. I have over 600 games for it so it's not like it gets little use or anything. I also have my SCPH-10000 PS2, which I bought on 04th March, 2000. This too has never, ever given me any problems and I am currently well past the 150 games mark. I've heard numerous stories from my friends and on forums about "OMG I got a DRE!" Always these people have had NTSC/U/C or PAL consoles, never NTSC/J.
My PSP has given me no problems. It contains 0 dead pixels, the UMD drive door is tight, the analogue nub is tight. The right d-pad and Square buttons feel slightly different to the others due to the design, but they work fine, everytime. Sure, maybe when the PSP gets a western release it may be even worse than the few dodgy models that we've seen so far, but hey I always import so I'm alright Jack. I know of two other people, who like me own only NTSC/J Sony hardware and they also have never, ever had any problems with it. Maybe Sony Japan look after their own? I don't know.

Anyway that's my rant, you can flame the hell outta me if you like, but hey I think you first-time importers and Sony-haters need to stop with this, well rubbish.
Hijin!

Last edited:

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
sonys tvs and other eletroincs(non gaming)= good

Gaming systems and games= piece of FUCKING SHIT!

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
iamyagami22 said:
sonys tvs and other eletroincs(non gaming)= good

Gaming systems and games= piece of FUCKING SHIT!

Can you even read? If so you missed my point entirely.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Yes 5000 isn't very much... But when it's a problem that every psp has, and sony says it was ment to be like that wtf kinda shit is that?

They won't take the psp's with dead pixels, because that includes pretty much every one released. :D

Mr-Megalo

Morden's Lackey
my SCPH10000 PS2 is still going strong - I disagree about the PS tho, the 1000 series were terrible, IMVHO the best PS was the 5502 and 5552 - better cd unit - easy as fuck to chip

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
yes i can and i disagree, psx may be good quality but wtf do i care it's out dated and sucks ass, sonys new shit is pure garbage and kutaragi don't care.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
iamyagami22 said:
yes i can and i disagree, psx may be good quality but wtf do i care it's out dated and sucks ass, sonys new shit is pure garbage and kutaragi don't care.
So you own NTSC/J Sony launch hardware? If not you have no basis on which to disagree. See below.
Mr-Megalo said:
my SCPH10000 PS2 is still going strong
Also that would mean that you did indeed miss my point entirely.

Last edited:

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
still didn't miss your point, i too have a ps2 and it won't read my dvds isn't that just perfect, thanks sony for selling me an utter piece of shit with about 5 or 6 quality games(half of which are metal gear solid series). I READ YOUR POST I SEE YOUR POINT, I DISAGREE COMPLETELY.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
iamyagami22 said:
still didn't miss your point, i too have a ps2 and it won't read my dvds isn't that just perfect, thanks sony for selling me an utter piece of shit with about 5 or 6 quality games(half of which are metal gear solid series). I READ YOUR POST I SEE YOUR POINT, I DISAGREE COMPLETELY.

Sigh. Where is your PS2 from? What model number is it? You don't see my point, really you don't. Trust me, I'm English.

Last edited:

Mr-Megalo

Morden's Lackey
J0e Musashi said:
Also that would mean that you did indeed miss my point entirely

and what exactly was your point ? ? I thought your point was that you buy release-day machines, you prefer the japanese variants (you think they are off higher quality) and all your machines are immortal

I too buy primarily the japanese variants on day of release (with the exception of PSP - I have little interest in it at the moment) and have done since 1989, before that my first import machine was the Mattel NES
I said my PS2 is still going strong, my statement was neither in agreement or disagreement with your 'point' as it was a statement.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Mr-Megalo said:
I said my PS2 is still going strong, my statement was neither in agreement or disagreement with your 'point' as it was a statement.
Where did you see me saying that you had agreed with my 'point'? Nowhere, because I never said it. I used your example that your SCPH-1000 PS2 was still going strong to back up my comments that Sony's JPN launch hardware is of better quality than later releases, which I believe is due to Sony losing profit with launch hardware then redesigning a cheaper-to-produce version, which is when the problems start, even with NTSC/J versions. Apparently it worked. I think people are wrong to categorise the JPN PSP with other "non-launch" Sony hardware, which fails just because 5,000 out of 500,000 units had to be returned.

Mr-megalo said:
and all your machines are immortal
Now you're just being silly.

barf

Maxima's Barber
It contains 0 dead pixels

lucky you :)

anyway, i just play love my psp. I have so much to do right now and so little time. I started to get into metal gear acid and am addicted to it now, to the point that for the second day i missed my subway station because i was playing (and had to go backward with another train).

I have unlocked not even 10 percents of Minna no golf stuff in about 6 hours of play, i am less than 50% done in ridge racers after hours, i have not unlocked all the themes in lumines nor passed beyond level 4 puzzles of mojipittan.

In fact, i am damned happy the launch titles fit my tastes so well, as if the console were made for me :)

Manscraft-wise, my console was verry well polished, zero problem on the cover, no controls issue, verry well done plastic molding for every pieces. The only issue i got is the made in china screen -stupid fully lit pixel, i hate you pixel- (the LCD and the WiFi blocks are made in china, the other parts and assembly in japan iirc).

Last edited:

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Its not just 5000 psps that have the problem. Every PSP has it.
The design of the psp itself is flawed in a way that it effects gameplay. The square button wont register all the time and becomes sticky because its on the outer edge of the screen. Sonys acceptance and refusal to fix this issue just shows how crappy their customer support is for thier hardware.
And its not just the psp where they show this kind of attitude. The PS1 and PS2 have the same DRE problems. Its just a common fact. JAP ,PAL , NTSC alike they all have the same problems. If anything the launch models are more prone to this then the later generation. And again Sony refuses to even acknowledge the problem. But they would be happy to fix it for $100.00.
And I seem to recall the launch JP PS2s having a problem with scratching DVDs.
Sony's game hardware = shit. Regardless of what region you are from.

kiun

Zero's Tailor
I think Shinji Mikami (Director of RE) once claimed that PS2 were poorly built, and many have to buy a second system. So Japanese system might have similar problems too.

Actually .6% on launch is a terrible defective rate. THat's a one-month defective rate, not even PSP's that have been around for a year or so.

Me and JHendrix when debating the Sony quality issue have always touched upon the fact that over 2% wouild be a terrible showing for the PS2, and we may be talking about significantly more than that within a year if a one-month sales shows us already .6%.

Keep in mind agian that .6% does not count dead pixels, which are not even returnable and some importers have accused of being a widespread problem.

Also, the .6% is truely "defective" buttons, d-pad, not counting ones that just work shoddy. Lots of people are going tot ough through that.

Last edited:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Mr.Nemoperson said:
The design of the psp itself is flawed in a way that it effects gameplay. The square button wont register all the time and becomes sticky because its on the outer edge of the screen.

Right, so you never saw
Joe Musashi said:
The right d-pad and Square buttons feel slightly different to the others due to the design, but they work fine, everytime.
then?

Mr.Nemoperson said:
And I seem to recall the launch JP PS2s having a problem with scratching DVDs.
Sony's game hardware = shit. Regardless of what region you are from.
This was Xbox, not PS2. There was a problem with the DVD drivers, which allowed you to run USA R1 DVDs. I've always seen this as more of a bonus than a problem.

It's clear that not many of you have bothered to read my thread properly as your answers do not make sense in regards to what I said. I don't see how you can even comment unless you own JPN launch hardware. Everything I have said comes from my own and others experiences with JPN launch hardware. If you own an 18-month-after launch USA model, which has given you problems then you have no basis on which to comment. I feel that everything I have tried to get across has not been understood. I will stick to calling people n00bs in chat from now on.

Mr-Megalo

Morden's Lackey
@ J0e - I'm neither being argumentative nor am I agreeing or disagreeing with your point

my apologies if I emphasised the wrong words, I have since re-read through the thread I took it when you said : "Also that would mean that you did indeed miss my point entirely" that it was aimed at me, on re-reading I've come to the conclusion it was aimed at iamyagami22

Ideally I should also have highlighted as follows

I said my PS2 is still going strong, my statement was neither in agreement or disagreement with 'your point' as it was a statement

if I came across as argumentative than again my apologies but I'm sticking with what i said, I am neither in agreement or disagreement that 1st release Japanese machines are usually best because design flaws can and will happen - although to add some fuel to this fire - the Japanese DC has heatsink and fan , UK and US Dreamcasts only have a fan :shame: so its not only Sony that cut corners for outside of japan released machines.

Well sorry if we didn't play by your rules, Mr. Joe Kutaragi, but most of us see no reason to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what has become accepted int he gaming industry.

PSX's overheat - Sony and its fans tell us there's no problem
Launch PS2's overheat like fucking mad - Sony and its fans tell us there's no problem
PS2's break down en mass - Sony and its fans tell us there's no problem
Mikami Shinji rips a major title off of PS2 in objection to Sony's shoddy quality - Sony and its fanboys tell us there's no problem
Sony agrees to fix SPCH-30000 models when a class action lawsuit makes waves - Sony and its fanboys tell us there's no problem
Flying UMD videos (now confirmed by major gaming mags) - Sony and its fanboys tell us there's no problem
The PSP turns out to have worse dead pixels issus than the DS which was being harped on for its relatively small dead pixel problem - Sony and its fnaboys tell us there's no problem
The buttons don't work right in a large number of units- Sony and its fnaboys tell us there's no problem

Call me crazy, but I see a pattern in the defense of Sony, and it's just not credible a case for the gaming public.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Well I guess your right Joe. I suppose we can all just ignore the majority of peoples complaints about Sony's shoddy manufacturing and just be happy knowing that your JP launch ps1 and 2 never broke down.

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
I have never seen any comparitive statistics, myself. It has become accepted internet wisdom that Sony build crap hardware, but it's all been hearsay. With the PS and PS2 they have sure built more hardware than anyone else so the total number of failures is probably higher, but what's the rate per 1000? And how does anyone else's hardware compare?

Even these recent statistics about the PSP, although they sound pretty high, have no context. What are the equivalent return rates for the DS? The SP? The GBA?

barf

Maxima's Barber
Mr.Nemoperson said:
The design of the psp itself is flawed in a way that it effects gameplay. The square button wont register all the time and becomes sticky because its on the outer edge of the screen.

Odd... i don t have problems with my square button and i am not really gentle with the buttons.

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
I myself have never had issues with Sony's products until I got my first PSP which was DOA.

Shit happens I guess, but that will not prevent me from buying Sony products.

My Sony 36" WEGA TV works flawlessly

My Sony Home Digital Theater system works flawlessly

My Sony DVD player works Flawlessly

My Sony Mini Disc unit works flawlessly

My Sony 4' home theater speakers work flawlessly

My Sony T616 cell phone worked great even after I droped it a dozen times. Switched to Sprint so I couldn't use that GSM phone on thier service. But I still have the phone.

My Sony headphones (any that I ever bought) never failed to work

My Sony PS1 worked flawlessly even after I modded it to play burn games and imports. And it still works for my buddies son and him even to this day.

My Sony Japanese PS2 (first of the run) system works flawlessly and I bought that off the Bay second hand (could have been in 3 other peoples hand before me)?

My Sony US PS2 system GT-3 package system still works flawlessly, cant say that for my Xbox though, it farts out every now and then.

My Sony Vaio 16" laptop worked flawlessly and I sold it to my best friend when I got my Mac G4 Powerbook, and it in turn still works flawlessly even though he treats it like crap.

My Sony Color Clie worked Flawlessly and still works great for the friend I sold it to.

My Sony Vaio 1.8ghz desktop computer worked flawlessly until I sold that to another friend, and it still works for them to.

My second Sony PSP works like a champ, it has 4 dead pixels...funny thing is they actually work on the correct color when playing games or on the menu screen. Only time I see them as dead pixels is on the light black screen upon boot up or shut down. STRANGE? And I played 6 hours straight on one battery charge. WiFi off and brightness at max. I played 2 hours stopped got something to eat, came back and played for just over another 4 hours before it shut down. I was able to unlock so many cars and tracks. Cool thing was when the PSP shut down I plugged the charger in and it had started replaying the game right where I left off in the middle of a race.

My only bad Sony product was my DOA first PSP.

And that my friends is not a bad run of Sony products in my opionion.

Call it good luck I guess?

I do feel for those that have problems, I really do. And I really think Sony needs to address these issues and fix them without hesitation.
However I just don't see why people that have had an issue make it sound like Sony is the worse company on the planet.

Last edited:

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
i think the point that everyone needs to see is that yeah sony makes good nongaming stuff but makes some of the biggest shit as far as game systems and games scea is bull shit and needs to die a horrible death, then burn like fuck in the raging fires of hell. :glee: :)

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
All the people who diss the psp build quality have obviously never played on one.