RGB to s-video / composite idea

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
I'm building another supergun, which of course means I need another video encoder. I have the parts from Digikey to build the one here ( http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/28/how-to-consolize-an-arcade-game/ ), but then I realized I might have another option. Old game systems like the Genesis are probably doing this work already, so I wonder if I can get a working encoder from there? At one point I had at least half a dozen Genesises sitting around, so it probably wouldn't cost me anything if it was viable.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The AD725 is known to have compatibility issues with a considerable amount of boards. The CXA1145 in the Megadrive is not a great encoder either, the S-Video output leaves a bit to be desired..

If I was you, I would try to get hold of a Sony CXA1645 as used in some MD2's. Great results with both composite and s-video, and more compatible than the AD725.

bk2099

New Challenger
Have you considered just buying one? They're $30 at excellentcom.net. I've built encoders with both the cxa1645 and the ad725 and from my experience it just wasnt worth the time and effort now that RGB encoders are so cheap.

RGB_TVB.jpg

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
I ordered AD725ARZ-ND IC ENCODER RGB TO NTSC 16-SOIC from Digi-Key, I planned to build the video encoder here http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/28/how-to-consolize-an-arcade-game/

I have a JROK in my Supergun at work, but was reluctant to order another one at that price if I could build it way cheaper. I'll look into that Excellentcom one if I mess up, $30 is cheap.

I figured I would make this thread on the off chance someone was like "Yeah totally just grab this off the Genesis motherboard and you'll have an instant RGB to s-video encoder"

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
$30 isn't a bad price but after you factor in shipping you might as well just get a jrok as it would be the same end price.