RGB -> NTSC (Which encoder to get?)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Help a brother out.

Way back in the dark ages of 2002 I built a supergun using a Jrok encoder.

It featured not so good component out and S-vid out.

Now there are many more encoders on the market - whats the story on these and which do you guys like?

I want to upgrade my supergun.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
When i was in the process of planning my supergun I was contemplating the JROK 4.1 with component, svid and all that. I ended up getting an RGB monitor though.
Just my luck I found one in my area for about $60 usd

I would go the JROK for sure, seems to be the most used around here and is extremely easy to set up. They're even cheaper if you've got some soldering skill and get a DIY kit.

Their track record on component seems pretty good, you always get the odd PCB that doesnt want to be your friend though. Seems more a TV having an issue with the signal its recieving though.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Make sure you don't use an encoder that uses an AD 725 integrated circuit. They're crap for compatibility; I have a "video encoder" pcb that uses one and the only thing I can get it to work with is MVS.

I know that the Sony CXA1645 is supposed to be the best one. You can get the IC itself on ebay which I will eventually do when I get around to it, to upgrade my supergun also.

(Everything I just said up until this point is probably useless for you?)

I hear JROK is good but I've never used one. I know there are different models, so make sure in any case that whatever you get doesn't use the AD 725.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lochlan said:
Make sure you don't use an encoder that uses an AD 725 integrated circuit. They're crap for compatibility; I have a "video encoder" pcb that uses one and the only thing I can get it to work with is MVS.

I know that the Sony CXA1645 is supposed to be the best one. You can get the IC itself on ebay which I will eventually do when I get around to it, to upgrade my supergun also.

(Everything I just said up until this point is probably useless for you?)

No, it's not useless information. I can follow and understand basic circuit diagrams. But bear in mind that i'm talking about basic stuff as far as comprehension. I could theoretically put together a circuit beyond my understanding if I had the plans. I could probably put together an encoder so long as i had directions (at minimum a circuit diagram).

I couldn't for example, buy that Sony IC you you want to get, look at its spec sheet, and then build an RGB -> NTSC converter myself. I'd need a diagram of it used in the application I wanted to use it for.

I wouldn't even be able to build a useful circuit by myself that wasn't much more then basic switches. Basically I can and follow directions and am not afraid to solder. I even used to have some AD chips back in the day that I got as "free samples" heh - not sure what ever happened to those.

Does that make sense?

For what it's worth I did build my own Supergun. I can dig up the thread if you want to see it.

I hear JROK is good but I've never used one. I know there are different models, so make sure in any case that whatever you get doesn't use the AD 725.

Pssssst - you're supposed to tell me what encoders use what chips. At least when I got my original JROK encoder I don't think he was disclosing what IC he was using so as to prevent people from just copying his work. IIRC the chip name was scratched off the IC.

I've only ever used my SG with MVS and CPS2, though i'd like to start getting some JAMMA PCBs - so video compatibility will be an issue.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Does that make sense?

Yes. As I mentioned, the only place I know where to get the sony ICs is off ebay -- but only the surface mount ones, which are a pain in the ass to solder to. (Supposedly you can use razor blades to separate the legs to make it easier, but I've never tried that method) There's a DIP version out there somewhere (i.e. larger package, bigger legs/pins) but I don't know where to acquire it. I know that the encoder was used for a lot of systems like the 1001 model PS1 and certain sega genesis models also.

There's actually a thread about this somewhere out there...I think assembler games maybe? Anyway, I know you said you couldn't do this, but there is an official sony spec sheet floating around that has the recommended circuit on it, but that will only be useful for you if you can read circuit diagrams (albiet simple ones, so you'd need to know what a capacitor or a resistor looks like for instance).

Little mini prototyping boards are out there for around $1, so potentially you could build a really rad video encoder board for less that $30ish worth of parts if you're enough of a badass.

Pssssst - you're supposed to tell me what encoders use what chips.

I honestly have no idea about what's out there. Only that I have a "craze arcade.com" encoder which uses the AD 725 and is total crap. It's what I use to play MVS (Neo Geo 4 Lyfe), and the reds are set all wrong (and there are no pots to change settings with, even though there could easily be some). Ugh.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Building my own encoder will most likely be a project for another day. Though i'd like to try.

I just want to drop in a new encoder right now, take out the old one, and possibly think up a project to use the old one with (perhaps build a newer, smaller SG).

Of course, I really wouldn't mind owning a cheap RGB monitor. I can never remember the model of that Commodore monitor that takes RGB, i think through a DB9?

I want an encoder that has Composite, S-Vid, and Component.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
what problems are you experiencing with the jrok?

do you have rgb adjustment pots?

i built a supergun about a year or two ago with the little jrok, composite and svideo. it was the one without built in pots. i added pots to r g and b, and the picture was perfect.worked with mvs, cps2, and esp.ra.de.

so much better than my crazearcade one that i didnt add pots to. it only looks decent with mvs, and its still too bright.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
what problems are you experiencing with the jrok?

do you have rgb adjustment pots?

i built a supergun about a year or two ago with the little jrok, composite and svideo. it was the one without built in pots. i added pots to r g and b, and the picture was perfect.worked with mvs, cps2, and esp.ra.de.

so much better than my crazearcade one that i didnt add pots to. it only looks decent with mvs, and its still too bright.

I'm not having any problems truthfully.

I'd like improved composite video and I heard the revisions of the jrok after the one I have feature just that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm not having any problems truthfully.

I'd like improved composite video and I heard the revisions of the jrok after the one I have feature just that.

Jrok did improve his composite at one point.... I don't remember what the revision was.. .But it was like 4 years ago.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Jrok did improve his composite at one point.... I don't remember what the revision was.. .But it was like 4 years ago.

Well I did build my first supergun about 6 years ago, heh. Hard to believe it's been that long.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should just Consolize my two slot, or just upgrade my supergun.

I'm thinking about doing both, honestly.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just get a Jrok with a sync cleaner. This is a non-question.

I think you're going to be choosing between a NeoBitz or a JROK.

neo bitz compatibility according to D-Lite
It says he didn't test S-video, and I can name some in that list already just glancing at it that I know don't work with S-video.

Well I did build my first supergun about 6 years ago, heh. Hard to believe it's been that long.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should just Consolize my two slot, or just upgrade my supergun.

I'm thinking about doing both, honestly.
That's what I did. You're copying me.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why do you even use composite? Is that the only connection available on your TV? Just like Neo Alec said, get a sync cleaner for your jrok or build the CXA1645 circuit.

Of course ideally you would want a supergun with 2 ICs that have opposite compatibility since there is no such thing as 1 godly encoder, yet.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Of course ideally you would want a supergun with 2 ICs that have opposite compatibility since there is no such thing as 1 godly encoder, yet.
That would really be overkill. I have a lot of boards now and none that don't work with the Jrok. The sync cleaner is needed though.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Component J-Rok user here. I use it on my Wega and it looks beautifull, it doesn't work well with HD Tv's though, but the good old Wega rivals any RGB monitor in the house. I refuse to upgrade my main gaming TV, hell I even bought a 32" second wega just so I could tate the old 27" and use the bigger one for the horis.

Lags, my advice in all honesty is that HD TV's are overrated for old school gaming, you could just do a bit of craigs list and find a nice size Wega for 100 bucks all day long, trust me is all worth it! Give it a shot before you spend big bucks on a flat screen or anything new.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That would really be overkill. I have a lot of boards now and none that don't work with the Jrok. The sync cleaner is needed though.

So far it's the same here but when I do come across a board that proves me right I will let you guys know.