Retropie (TEH ROMZZZZ)

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Can someone explain in plain English how to change the selected emulator for a game? I tired out another emulator with super Mario world but now can't change it back? Apparently it's something to do with permissions in the config file?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
When you start the game there is a window of a couple seconds where you can press a button to go into a menu. From there you can set a few different options, including which emulator to use. Just be careful since one option will change the emulator selection for just the selected game and the other will change it for all games on that system.

This is really handy for arcade games since each different rom seems to work better with a different version of MAME/FBA/etc.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Gohan, did you try Recalbox? If so, which one is better for PSX, Retropie or Recalbox?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
When you start the game there is a window of a couple seconds where you can press a button to go into a menu. From there you can set a few different options, including which emulator to use. Just be careful since one option will change the emulator selection for just the selected game and the other will change it for all games on that system.

This is really handy for arcade games since each different rom seems to work better with a different version of MAME/FBA/etc.

There is an option so you can change the emulator used for that ROM only. MAME 2010 and FBA 2012 are the emulators that have better compatibility for arcade games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Gohan, did you try Recalbox? If so, which one is better for PSX, Retropie or Recalbox?

Nah, by the time I heard about Recalbox I already had using RetroPie down so I haven't tried it. I haven't played much PSX on the Retropie, mainly just Ridge Racer and SotN. Both ran great but they aren't exactly taxing the emulator either.

theMot

10 Year Member

That's what I did but now can't change it back. Apparently this is to do with the permissions set on the config file?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
What controller you using?

For my PS3 controller, I have to press select at that screen that pops up and use the left stick to move the cursor and press select to...select...an option there.

There's another way though the RetroPie setup as well. Can't think how at the moment, though.

theMot

10 Year Member
Using 8bitdo snes controllers. I changed the Snes emulator to SNES9X for SMW but wont to change it back to the default emulator but it wont let me. :(

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
How much free space is there on the drive, it's mounted properly in linux?
Is the setup only using Retropie?

How about a keyboard does that work?

Last edited:

theMot

10 Year Member
How much free space is there on the drive, it's mounted properly in linux?
Is the setup only using Retropie?

How about a keyboard does that work?

I think it is set up right. Yes just Retropie, keyboard works fine.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Will it save it with a keyboard?
Can you open the raspberry pi config menu in setup?
How much free space does the sd card have?

theMot

10 Year Member
Will not save with keyboard, I can enter the config menu, have about 20gb free.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
After you set it up did you go into the pi-config menu and select expand filesystem?
Should be one of the first options.

If so

Hit f4 on the keyboard type this in the terminal:
cd /
sudo mkdir boot
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
exit

be sure to pay attention to the spaces
does it tell you drive is already mounted?

Last edited:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't currently own Garou: Mark of the Wolves on any system. Should I build a RetroPie to play it or should I just download the PS4 version now that it's been patched?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The PS4 version plays fine locally, it was just worthless online. You have a lot more emulator and controller options on the Pi.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
The PS4 version plays fine locally, it was just worthless online. You have a lot more emulator and controller options on the Pi.
Is it easy to get a PS4 controller working with the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you're okay with wired, just plug a USB cable in and it works with no hassle. Getting it to work with bluetooth is trickier, and I don't really recommend it since bluetooth controllers tend to lag on the Pi.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
my retropie set up uses attractmode. On my 60" hdtv there's at least a split second lag which is highly noticable but on my smaller 37" hdtv the lag is less apparent. I use the buffalo usb snes pad which works great.

Ive been trying to configure my usb arcade joysticks but have been unsuccessful.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ive been trying to configure my usb arcade joysticks but have been unsuccessful.

What sticks have you tried Kyosuke? I'm on the fence about purchasing a PI and was thinking of trying a Hori VLX and PS3 Virtua High Grade with it.

Streets of Rage Remake might just get me to buy one....

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
RetroPie is cool because it'll help introduce people to one of my favorite 16-bit fighting games Weaponlord. I've got the original cartridge but I mostly play it on my Wii nowadays via Snes9xGX.

theMot

10 Year Member
Last edited: