Retroblox modular retro console

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
It's the Retroblox, a modular retro Hybrid Emulation(patent pending) console. Coming April 2017 to a Kickstarter near you!

http://retroblox.com

I'm thinking Coleco Chameleon 2.0 - now with DVD power! The module in the lower-right looks like it has a Neo-Geo sized cart slot.

What's up with that console design? Too much TurboGrafx-16 and not enough Jaguar. Hopefully a SNES Mini motherboard will fit into the mockup.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
:lolz:

Their logo fucking sucks, looks like retroblo.

Another vaporware system.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The Australian version will be called Retroblokes.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
"...patented Hybrid Emulation", "A NEW WAY TO PLAY", "... in glorious HD", "...a platform of unlimited possibilities, bound only by imagination", "...ultimate living-room worthy retro...", "...show off your collection, and even stream..."

I've never heard such utter balls in my entire life. Just let this "retro" corpse die with dignity already and... "share screenshots and videos to Facebook or Twitter" afterwards.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
with forsters livery

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
depending on what this is capable of and how well it can do it, this might be the perfect gift for some people. i'd rather spend money on something like this than a lame ass NES emulator that i have to kill someoen's kid in Walmart for on launch day

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I see a lot of marketing hype, and no actual hardware specifications. Sounds familiar.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nintendo Switch :keke:

423.gif

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
Has he poked his head out since the Retro VGS?

Since the Coleco Chameleon you mean. He's moved that Retro magazine to Patreon, to a model where they won't make another print until they reach around 10K per issue.:oh_no:
If you want the latest come visit the AtariAge thread on the CC. It's is still going strong... :D

About thsi console... it's basically EMUALLSYSTEMS! http://www.facebook.com/emuallsystems/
Reirom pls.

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
There's an idea with some value in there somewhere, but everything about this reads like a misfire.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Someone post a summary of the coleco chameleon story because I totally missed that.
I suppose the thing had nothing to do with the actual old company coleco and someone just bought the rights to the name, kinda how they're selling shitty rebranded chinese smartphones undet the commodre label these days?

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
A SNES in a Jag shell. That about sums most of it up.

Remember that time it was a random VGA capture board in a clear Jag shell? That was fun!

Here's a pretty good article on the whole mess from last year.

As far as this newcomer is concerned, I see this as falling into the same pitfalls, regardless of whether or not they have, or will ever have, a prototype. This company is saying they're going to be developing loads of peripherals and modular slots to put on this thing, and that's just the hardware side.

From the looks of it, they're also going to have some pretty extensive software in the thing. Who knows what the hell they mean by "hybrid emulation" (pat pend.). But by the screenshots it looks like they even want to have a robust digital distribution platform. The biggest criticism I and others had with the Coleco Chameleon before it went up in smoke was what developer is going to plan on supporting this thing in the long run? (Who knows if they even got Sega, Square Enix and others' permission to use game logos and artwork on their site?) If a company wants to re-release some classic games, they're going to release them on a more established platform like PS4, XBox One, Steam, or even the Switch, not some niche-appeal console's digital download service that'll be getting 100 users per month not long after release. Same deal for "retro-inspired indies" that the Chameleon seemed to be courting so heavily.

At the end of the day, this is an awful lot to ask of a game company starting from nothing. Even if this rains crowdfunding from the heavens, they have an extremely uphill battle. A large percentage of Kickstarter game *software* projects that succeeded in funding, still wind up failing after they realize they didn't ask for enough money. Imagine trying to develop a whole game *console* out of that.

Last edited: