Retro Gamer Issue 45

strider

duck duck goose
RG_045.jpg

The Making of NiGHTS: Into Dreams
We go behind the scenes and discover the fascinating creation of one of the Sega Saturn's greatest games.

The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark
It's arguably one of gaming's earliest film licences, but what made this Atari 2600 hit so special?

Arcade Inspection - Taito F-Board Series
Mike bevan takes an in-depth look at the boards that powered some of Taito's greatest arcade games.

The Big Feature - Pinball Spinoffs
In a break from his definitives, Stuart Campbell uncovers the arcade classics that were converted into pinball tables.

Christmas Special
With Christmas just around the corner there's never been a better time to see how the holiday season has affected the world of videogames.

The Making of Treasure Island Dizzy
With Dizzy proving to be a slow-burning hit, the Oliver twins soon found themselves working on a sequel. The twins reveal the difficulties on making the anticipated follow-up.

Retroinspection - Sinclair ZX81
It may have shipped with a paltry 1K, but there was still plenty to shout about if you owned Sir Clive's machine.

The Making of the Strike Franchise
Part blaster, part strategy title, EA's Strike games had something for everyone.

The Big Interview - Rings of Saturn
Single format mags weren’t always bad. So join us as we meet the crew of the official Sega Saturn Magazine.

And much more including.
Skate or Die
Battle Garegga
Dark Castle
Zoo Keeper
Buggy Boy
Road Rash
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
hmmm a Garegga feature, think I will take a squint.

Oliver_UK

n00b
The official Saturn magazine was awesome, great writers and a perfect team, cant wait to read the article!.Richard Leadbetter - legend.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
RG rocks, I just wish is wasn't so expensive...

aria

Former Moderator
so we're now sprinkling this in every forum?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
+1 before the move to +1

Damn I wish I could get this....

What's up with the H2G2?

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Garegga...nice.

Not too often do you see Raizing games in English language magazines.

strider

duck duck goose
Bobak said:
so we're now sprinkling this in every forum?
No I've spoken to Shaun and he said I can mention the mag on the forum. Everyone moaned when I put it in news, so I thought it was best to stick it here.

Oh and Shaun is being interviewed next month

Ukyo

20 Year Member
I'm still waiting on my issue #44 in the mail; it used to arrive on the 24th or 25th every month; now the last 2 months my issues have come late.

Strider; do you know if there has been a change with your mailing service, or the printing of the magazine? It's understandable since I'm in the U.S; but Retro Gamer used to arrive on the dot.

aria

Former Moderator
strider said:
No I've spoken to Shaun and he said I can mention the mag on the forum. Everyone moaned when I put it in news, so I thought it was best to stick it here.

Oh and Shaun is being interviewed next month

Yeah, he mentioned it later in the day. (Shawn ;) )

strider

duck duck goose
Ukyo said:
I'm still waiting on my issue #44 in the mail; it used to arrive on the 24th or 25th every month; now the last 2 months my issues have come late.

Strider; do you know if there has been a change with your mailing service, or the printing of the magazine? It's understandable since I'm in the U.S; but Retro Gamer used to arrive on the dot.
email the sub's department and they should be able to offer you some advice.

Darran

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
..I want...

...a free years subsciption and naked pics of all the members of staff....

MAKE IT SO!

xROTx

PS. Never read the mag.... just give me the abridged version pls....

lordnikon

Another Striker
From the cover: "Yuji Naka looks back at the creation of one of the Sega Saturns Most Sensational games"

I hate to be a picky Sega fan, but to truly pay homage to the original Saturn game, I would think it would have been appropriate to use actual artwork/logos for the original NiGHTs into Dreams.

Instead they are using art from the new Wii game, which is being handled by the Japan/USA hybrid developer Sonic Team USA. Who was responsible for Shadow of the Hedgehog and the precedural desaturation of color from titles like Sonic Secret of the Rings and Sonic Riders 2 (which looks like mud compared to the original Sonic Riders).

Plus Yuji Naka isn't even with Sega/Sonic Team of Japan anymore, and is currently involved with his own independent(but still has close ties to Sega) studio "Prope".

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Oliver_UK said:
The official Saturn magazine was awesome, great writers and a perfect team, cant wait to read the article!.Richard Leadbetter - legend.

Indeed it was.

I had the honor to interview former SSM editor Rich Leadbetter and writer Gary Cutlack 3 years ago now. My interview with them can be read over at my website:

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7443/367301.html

BTW, that's a f'n sweet-ass cover.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
^ Good to see you around here.

Nights_Saturn.jpg

How's the Saturn quote go? "This Is COOL"? I'd say so.

How long did that take you to make? BTW, ironic useless information, that is the same date that I saw my snes "rebirth" :p