Retro Gamer Issue 44

strider

duck duck goose
RG_044.jpg

Complete History DOOM
Prepare to get scared senseless as Retro Gamer looks back at one of gaming's most terrifying franchises

Classic Game
Spy Hunter
Move over James Bond, because we've found a spy theme tune that's even better than yours

The Making of…
Rescue on Fractalus
Find out how a failed Star Wars pitch turned into a monstrous hit and helped launch LucasArts

Conversion Capers
Green Beret
It's a well known arcade hit from the Eighties, but how was it converted to the Speccy? Retro Gamer investigates

Run N Gun Special
There's an insane number of classic run n gun titles available, but which ones are worth your actual time? Retro Gamer has the answers

The Making of…
Populous
It's one of Bullfrog's most popular games and helped launch a brand new genre: the god sim. Retro Gamer talks to its creators and finds out how it all began

Retroinspection
Master System
Nintendo's NES may have dominated the 8-bit market, but Sega wasn't willing to go down without a fight.

The Making of…
James Pond trilogy
Prepare for plenty of bad puns as Retro Gamer investigates the puntastic James Pond trilogy

Desert Island Disks
Rob Fulop
From creating Atari coin-op conversions for the Atari 2600 to creating desktop cats and dogs. Meet Rob Fulop

And much much more including
Collector's Corner
Scuba Dive
Chiki Chiki Boys
Yume Penguin Monogatari
Lucky & Wild
A Nightmare on Elm Street
ET
Fort Apocalypse
Magic Mushrooms

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I don't think I've ever seen so much Neo Geo stuff in one magazine!

Reminds me of back in the day when Dion was boasting that he had the rights to the US AES release of Populous and then Shawn trumped him with an official release... lol

I hear it's pretty hard to find a James Pond complete mvs kit nowadays... still the CD version is pretty common

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
kernow said:
populous is coming out on DS soon \\o

Hey Kern, do you remember Doom on the Hyper 64?

No... i don't either... :rolleyes:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've never read retro gamer, too pricey for me, I can find out stuff on the interweb

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Retrogamer is a really nice magazine and I loved the two issues I received and I wish I could get more, but it is far to expensive and far to difficult to obtain to make it all worthwhile.

In a way, I agree with Kernow, but on the other hand, they've had some pretty cool articles I can't find (easily) on the internet.

The gaming illuminati article was good, but flawed by not having a more critical approach against the 'hoarders' of ultimately silly game content and memorabilia.

Other than that, yes, the magazine is a stylish regurgitation of me surfing ebay for classic game goods.

aria

Former Moderator
Haha, being the US we're still on issue 43 (Donkey Kong cover) --but its a good one. It has a two-page spread on Twinkle Star Sprites and a few other SNK mentions. Its sitting in the lobby of my work, as all US-new issues do until I archive them in my office.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
They have the first 30 issues on DVD (without all the software, though) for 20 pounds. A must-buy I dare say.

strider

duck duck goose
We've got a MVS piece in the works and the Neo Geo AES is long overdue (we have quotes and everything).

I appreciate that some of you find the magazine expensive, but have you tried ordering directly from our own website? It might work out cheaper than buying it via barnes and noble.

Oh and I checked with the site owner and he said it was fine to post on the forum (although to be fair, maybe I shouldn't have chosen news)

Darran

a really nice magazine. never had troubles so far ordering directly through website.
i'm looking hardly forward for that neo geo cover feature.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I played the hell <pun possibly intended> out of the original Populous... great game with the difficulty cranked up. The Promised Lands (first expansion) was good too... lego blocks and circuit board zones. :)

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
james pond 2 was a great game, much improved over the first

love the penguin bars and jellies and so forth

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
strider said:
We've got a MVS piece in the works and the Neo Geo AES is long overdue (we have quotes and everything).

I appreciate that some of you find the magazine expensive, but have you tried ordering directly from our own website? It might work out cheaper than buying it via barnes and noble.

Oh and I checked with the site owner and he said it was fine to post on the forum (although to be fair, maybe I shouldn't have chosen news)

Darran

with a nickname as "Strider" you could only belong to Retrogamer.:)
it´s nice to see some Neo games getting some coverage on the latest issues.Maybe the interest grew after the SNK article.

Anyway...on the last issue,the top 25...BEST RUN AND GUN GAME: Sin an Punishment?

aria

Former Moderator
strider said:

Darran

News is fine --I think this mag is worth the attention.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
I love this magazine!

My local Barnes and Noble ususally sells out within 48 hours of putting it out for sale (usually on the 10th or the 11th of each month), which makes it frustrating to track down at times.

On a side note, the only magazines I read/subscribe to are UK ones: Economist, Retro Gamer, and Elle Decoration UK (for my wife).

Keep up the brilliant work guys!

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
strider said:

Darran

I find it's about 70% dearer to buy from the website than in the newsagent. So far the newsagent though has missed 3 issues since the very start, I've now since bought 2 of those 3... so the website is definitely a nice to have facility for when the newsagent screws up.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Me myself discovered the magazine a few days ago, and I was literally shocked: top quality stuff !!!

I automatically ordered the DVD from the site, and I'll be waiting for the 2nd one to be released !

Mike Bevan

n00b
Sorry to drag up this old thread but for some reason I'm unable to create a new one..

Just wanted to mention that this months issue of Retro Gamer (54 with the Outrun cover) has a 6-page 'Arcade Inspection' of the NeoGeo MVS, and we also pick ten of our favourite games for the system (feel free to let us know what you think we left out:). Andfor those interested there's a rather nice interview with Yu Suzuki...

It's available now in the UK, and I presume in about 4 weeks in the US.

RG_054.jpg

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
Sorry to drag up this old thread but for some reason I'm unable to create a new one..

Just wanted to mention that this months issue of Retro Gamer (54 with the Outrun cover) has a 6-page 'Arcade Inspection' of the NeoGeo MVS, and we also pick ten of our favourite games for the system (feel free to let us know what you think we left out:). Andfor those interested there's a rather nice interview with Yu Suzuki...

It's available now in the UK, and I presume in about 4 weeks in the US.

RG_054.jpg

Awesome --I'll keep an eye out for it when it gets here. I have this month's issue in my car, but I forgot what was on the cover.

That Zelda cover was just too awesome, btw.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Haha, being the US we're still on issue 43 (Donkey Kong cover) --but its a good one. It has a two-page spread on Twinkle Star Sprites and a few other SNK mentions. Its sitting in the lobby of my work, as all US-new issues do until I archive them in my office.

Good thing only stiffs come into your office.

Or that shit would turn up missing.