Resident Evil Directors Cut PS1, or REmake?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I have the PS1 version (shotty on cover), and love it. Like the soundtrack.

I hear nothing but great things about the REmake, but can't find out what soundtrack is included, or if both are.

Which is better?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
REmake has a new arrangement of the original soundtrack from the PSX version.

As for which one is better, I think that while the Gamecube/HD arrangement sounds better, it is mostly a retread of the original material, and that carries far greater resonance for me.

So I'd vote the original PSX OST.

And for god's sake, avoid the Director's Cut OST. It's terrible.

EDIT: If you're asking which version of the game to play, if you like the original then you should not miss out on REmake. It's a superior version of the game in every way.

That said, it's like the OSTs for me. While the REmake is the superior build, it doesn't carry the same relevance for me as the PSX version. Bad voice acting, dated graphics and all.

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
The REmake has a quite different soundtrack, with no option to select a different one to my knowledge. Unless you can find a hack version that replaces the music. I really love the original's soundtrack as well, but the remake's is good as well, and sets a good tone for the game.

If you're a fan of the original Resident Evil you owe it to yourself to play the remake.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
NOt sure what you're asking for, the game or the OST/AST whatever the case may be, it is worth playing both. The Remake has some extra goodies, if you're an RE fan you'll enjoy it. Get through the 1st one and then jump on the remake. The DS one is really good too, pretty much PS1 on a nice little screen, it makes it look relevant and not so dated, at less you can play your PS1 on a CRT which helps a lot.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The REmake has a quite different soundtrack, with no option to select a different one to my knowledge. Unless you can find a hack version that replaces the music. I really love the original's soundtrack as well, but the remake's is good as well, and sets a good tone for the game.

Example of differences:

Spoiler:

If you're a fan of the original Resident Evil you owe it to yourself to play the remake.

The tracks you've selected are from two different narrative sequences in the game.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
The tracks you've selected are from two different narrative sequences in the game.

Oh, lol. Don't mind me then. I know you know your shit when it comes to Resident Evil. REmake is still a great game, definitely worth playing.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The Remake also has crappy acting/voices, don't delude yourself now...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Oh, lol. Don't mind me then. REmake is still a great game, definitely worth playing.

The track from the PSX OST you shared is what you hear in the mansion once you have free reign to roam around the environment.

The REmake track you selected is only from the scene when Chris/Jill emerges from the dining room to discover that Wesker has disappeared. Once you leave the room, it reverts to the track in your first video.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
just trying to figure out if the new one is the definitive version, if so I would sell my old PS1 version. Thanks for the input.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The Remake also has crappy acting/voices, don't delude yourself now...

True story, but I never said that REmake had good voice acting. It has BETTER voice acting, but that isn't saying anything.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
The track from the PSX OST you shared is what you hear in the mansion once you have free reign to roam around the environment.

The REmake track you selected is only from the scene when Chris/Jill emerges from the dining room to discover that Wesker has disappeared. Once you leave the room, it reverts to the track in your first video.

Ahh, okay. It's been a while since I've played through the REmake tbh. I guess I need a refresher, need to download the HD REmake and play through that one now.

Now that I listened to it closer, this one sounds like the REmake arranged version of the original Main Hall theme, correct?

Spoiler:

True story, but I never said that REmake had good voice acting. It has BETTER voice acting, but that isn't saying anything.

The voice acting is definitely better in the REmake, still quite stiff though. The original's is classically hilarious.

I'm really excited for the Resident Evil 2 remake. That one is my favorite of the series. I just hope Capcom does it justice.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
They should just combine RE 2 and 3 into one big game since they both take place at roughly the same time anyway.

But they won't do that because that would be cool.

Maybe the 3 content will be sold as DLC that you can also unlock by playing RE 2 Mercenaries or something.

Cashcom. I loved you once.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
They should just combine RE 2 and 3 into one big game since they both take place at roughly the same time anyway.

Maybe the 3 content will be sold as DLC that you can also unlock by playing RE 2 Mercenaries or something.

Cashcom. I loved you once.

You'll only get the knife to start. You can pick up ammo, but the guns won't be available till an update comes out six months after release.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
You'll only get the knife to start. You can pick up ammo, but the guns won't be available till an update comes out six months after release.

And when you complain about it online, hardcore players will excuse the shortcomings, tell you that the game is fine as is and you should just go play it and stop being a pussy.

Video games in 2016.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
And when you complain about it online, hardcore players will excuse the shortcomings, tell you that the game is fine as is and you should just go play it and stop being a pussy.

Video games in 2016.

TBH I wish I had that much passion for games nowadays.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Age grants perspective.

True. I'm just in a weird place with games. I ditched all the retro stuff so I could just focus on new releases, but with time stretched as thin as it is, I find myself gravitating back more and more to older stuff. I bought a Famicom and get in about 20 minutes of gameplay a day and find myself having a great time with it.

Back OT, RE Deadly Silence is a ton of fun and I highly recommend that version.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd say RE: DS is the definitive version of that build.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
just trying to figure out if the new one is the definitive version, if so I would sell my old PS1 version. Thanks for the input.

That's pretty stupid.

edit: the video Taiso posted is gold. wow, makes me realize we may not have another video game like that again.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Think about that hard Taiso. Does it make sense? Both games happen somewhat simultaneously but the scenarios are very different. Stage wise RE2 has more in common with 1 than 3, so how can you expect them to work two totally different environments and make them in the same game, maybe a double release would be cool, but not all in the same game, it just makes the game too big for 2 very separate stories. I'm surprised you even said such thing.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I'd say RE: DS is the definitive version of that build.

Seconded. I find that version handles better in general, and the addition of Quickturn, and having a dedicated button for your knife so it's not taking up inventory space make a HUGE difference in playability of that game. Tried going back to the OG version after playing through Deadly Silence a few times, and MAN. The clunkiness is real. Finished it again, shelved it, will never go back to that build. Plus all of those awesome extras/modes, and the fact that it uses the og soundtrack, and not that directors cut one, it adds up. If I'm gonna jam on RE 1, it's gonna be ReMake or Deadly Silence.

Also; never forget

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
How about the Saturn build, doesn't anyone love the hard polygons?!

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
How about the Saturn build, doesn't anyone love the hard polygons?!

The Saturn version was the one I originally played and finished way back when. I especially loved Battle Game mode after you finished the game, it was hard as hell.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ha ha! Me too! First RE I played, same with Tomb Raider, lol.