Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Done two playthroughs now. Enjoyable game. I like that it's easy to pick up and play. Like the atmosphere. Like the characters. My problem with this game is the same as with the original; it doesn't feel as grand as other RE games. I also don't like Nemesis and that the main hook of the game is that its chasing you around. Still a fun game though. It would suck if the next remake is not Code Veronica.

Thoughts?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think Resident Evil 4 is the next game to get the remake treatment.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I like the game well enough but think Nemesis sucks for most of this game. Last fight is pretty cool. Dodge mechanic is interesting, especially if you tech it for some slow motion punishment. The grinding mechanic is also an interesting implementation. I really like the weapon mod system.

The best parts of the game are the Carlos parts. I loved the hospital standoff set piece.

It's missing the alternate choice pathways and sadly, many of the memorable areas from the original are missing this time around, as they were in 2 Remake.

Overall, it's fun to play but unremarkable.

4 doesn't need a remake. CV should be next.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Carlos new design is pretty offputting (worse than Jill without miniskirt... aaaaa!!!) but I'm warming up to it. I'm way late to the party but I bought RE2 when the corona thing started to make people go home, thought it was pretty stupid after the first bossfight and only went back to it again today. Needless to say the game went from a boring and frustrating experience to a 10/10 tense and fun one. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and I'm gonna tell you something: no game gave me chills LITERALLY like Resi 2 remake, not the originals, not any Silent Hill entry, nothing. The feeling of high risk/high reward and helplessness is so much potent on the remake vs. RE1 for instance.

Got the Irons' keycard and I'm loving it. If this keeps up I might have to buy 3 when I finish it... absolutely phenomenal.

(I know peeps on the internet have issues with some underdeveloped stuff compared to the original but I was more of a Resident Evil 1 guy and I never cared about 2, so for me the remake is a blank slate.)

CV should be next.

Code Veronica doesn't need a remake... it needs to be memory holed forever, that's what it needs. Fucking lame ass game with a boring setting and the game responsible for inventing "Wesker didn't really die in RE1 and he now has tons of bullshit superpowers because VIRUS". I know RE was never a work of art narrative wise but come on.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I played through the series around 2008 (RE0 ~ RE4) and having fond memories of CV on DC, I felt it was underwhelming for me too. It was the least enjoyable. RE3, which I thought was meh on release, turned out quite fun though.

Also, the Wiimote aiming in RE4 for Wii worked very well. Couldn't bring myself to play another version after that.

PS: fuck Jill's mini skirt in og RE3. Who the fuck goas around wearing that during a zombie outbreak?

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Done two playthroughs now. Enjoyable game. I like that it's easy to pick up and play. Like the atmosphere. Like the characters. My problem with this game is the same as with the original; it doesn't feel as grand as other RE games.

It always felt like Resident Evil 2: Alternate Scenario to me.

Which, uhhh, is essentially what it is, I guess.

Can we talk about Resident Evil 0? I never played it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
but y tho?

Was it because of the lame leeches? Or the zapping system? Or just an unexplainable 'meh' feeling?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
RE0 is very nice, but not as good as REmake. Inventory management is a chore and makes some parts very stressful.

I would personally place it after RE1 and RE2.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Can we talk about Resident Evil 0? I never played it.

I like RE0. It was a really nice looking game for the time. I liked Billy and Rebecca as a change up from the usual cast. I liked the team work aspect, but like someone mentioned, item management was a chore sometimes. The leeches were kinda lame but some of the settings were cool, like the train. I liked the game. Would still like to find out what happened to Billy some day.

What about the Relevation games? I got both on the shelf but never played them.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Code Veronica was great, fuck the haters.

The latest one didn't click with me at all, got it a few years ago and I'm yet to progress past the house. I mean, the fight with bayou dad in the garage where he jumps behind the wheel of his 80's Knight rider muscle car and starts doing doughnuts inside the garage, that was a full retard moment of there ever was one.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I liked RE7 a lot despite having motion sickness with first person games. I loved how they ditched the jackie chan shit from the previous entries and returned things to being simple and horror-centered. Your job is to survive, not to save the world and chase after villians with super powers.

IWhat about the Relevation games? I got both on the shelf but never played them.

They had some interesting elements but felt mediocre overall with meh stories. Unless you absolutely loved the gameplay in RE5 or RE6, I would say skip them.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Personally I liked the mythology of Umbrella and the whole science gone haywire thing best; zombies in general are meh.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
As much as I enjoyed RE2 Remake, this 3 Remake is the 1st RE game I've played on a 4K GSYNC monitor. Freakin' awesome. It did feel a bit shorter then 2 however... and that kind of bummed me out.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Personally I liked the mythology of Umbrella and the whole science gone haywire thing best; zombies in general are meh.

I agree with this.

I like the post Umbrella world, the evolution of RE's game world, the idea that people know about zombie outbreaks and that organizations like the BSAA are actively working to stem the tide of bioterrorism resulting from Umbrella's activities.

I like that the series became more action oriented because the series' world became more action oriented.

I'm fine with them doing horror oriented sequels like RE 7 and satisfying survival horror fans with the remakes and stuff. But in a post-T Virus world, it's more interesting to tell stories and make games about a society living with the threat than it is to ape Romero over and over.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Oh man, ditto. I didn't own a Playstation in the 90s but I was fascinated with the RE lore. I even bought a strategy guide to read more about the monsters even though I couldn't play the game. I actually bought a few of the RE comics way back then, the only one that comes to mind is a bullied nerd who injects himself with the G-virus and then goes on a murderous rampage, Umbrella finds him and then cures him and offers him a job. Lots of cool worldbuilding in RE, but I haven't paid much attention to the series post-Code Veronica.