Reset button for MVS 2 Slot?

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
I know it's possible to soft reset when using the Unibios. Is there anyway to do so w/out it? Some odd combination that can be wired up, anything? I'm still on the fence over Unibios. It's a lot of function that I don't know I'd use.

I've got it setup to be able to flip the last jumper for "Freeze Mode" so that I can handle bio breaks while playing (I know not to leave it for too long for burn-in). I've also wired up J1 so that I can get in and out of service more to tweak settings and such. It'd be nice to have a way to reset the cab without having to just cut the power.

Thanks

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Enter test mode and then exit...

That's usually how I handle it. Not as convienent as a reset button but it works.

The only other thing I can think of is an interlock, but then you are just killing power to reset.

I'm sure something could be rigged up, but I don't reset my machines enough for it to be of benefit and really have not put much thought into it over the years.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Enter test mode and then exit...

That's usually how I handle it. Not as convienent as a reset button but it works.

Test mode? I'm assuming this isn't the same thing that you get to when you've got Hard Dip 1 on and start up the machine and get to the mode screen, is it? How do you get into Test mode?

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Test mode? I'm assuming this isn't the same thing that you get to when you've got Hard Dip 1 on and start up the machine and get to the mode screen, is it? How do you get into Test mode?

You may have a putton as well depending on your cab.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
It's the same.

Same menu, gotcha.

You may have a putton as well depending on your cab.

I see on the jamma diagram for the Neo something about a test button, I'm assuming this is said button? Does it let you pop into the test menu at any time? As it is now, the only way I know to get in there would be to flip hard dip 1 on, then start up the machine. Then I can do whatever tinkering I want and either go to exit on the menu and flip hard dip 1 off, or in the case of hardware test, just shut the machine down.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yes, the test button brings you in to the test menu at any time.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Good to know, thanks. Should be a piece of cake to wire up. May already be wired and just not have a button connected, I'll have to stick my head in the cab on Monday. Thanks!

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Cool, glad to help. I have seen them wired in to standard microswitch that is then screwed into the cab wood (normally by the mobo) but usually there is a button mounted right beside the on/off switch inside the cab.

Button eliminates the need to touch dip 1 period. Way easier then flipping the control panel up etc.

Last edited:

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Cool, glad to help. I have seen them wired in to standard microswitch that is then screwed into the cab wood (normally by the mobo) but usually there is a button mounted right beside the on/off switch inside the cab.

Button eliminates the need to touch dip 1 period. Way easier then flipping the control panel up etc.

Yeah. It's why I've got wires run for Dip 1.

Then again, I could also just get my hands on a Unibios chip and get the "pause" and reset functionality from that.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Just thought of something. For the test switch, will a momentary type switch work, or does it need a toggle? That is to say, once the circuit's closed, does it go and stay in the test menu, or does the circuit need to stay closed for it to stay in the test menu? As for exiting, will pressing the test switch again, or do you just have to chose the "Exit" option from the menu?

Thanks again folks.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Last one... probably... If you have Unibios installed, does the test switch take you to either the in game menu or the Bios menu? Thanks

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I can't help you with unibios questions -- haven't gotten around to getting one yet...