Replacing the monitor in my converted Data East cab

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
I've been casually searching craigslist off and on for something I can use to replace the monitor in my cab and have had no luck the past couple months. Anyone have any good tips for getting a replacement monitor?

For the short term I'm hoping to find a $30 or less solution for fixing this, but if that's not realistic I can wait longer until I have some cash.

For longer term, I'd like to keep the budget for this under $150, anything over that and I could probably just get another cab off craigslist that's better than mine was in the first place.

What size is your monitor? If it's 25 inches I could buy your broken one depending on the problem to help you get some cash for a new one (I am in Burien, so I could pick it up locally).

I don't have any tips, I've been looking for monitors on craigslist too, no luck at all.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Just fix your monitor. Buying a soldering kit from Radio Shack and a cap kit from Zanen is cheap.

Man up! Learn how to solder!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There are many different 19" TVs that you can swap tubes with. ;)

It's a cheap source of burn free tubes.

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
There are many different 19" TVs that you can swap tubes with. ;)

It's a cheap source of burn free tubes.

Yeah, I had found some tutorials on this a few months ago when I first looked into it, and asked around on KLOV. Finding 19" CRT TVs is surprisingly difficult around here, and the one time I found a few TVs that might be the right size (at a Goodwill) they were too expensive to just blindly purchase a bunch and hope for the best. It's a significant time investment, and I don't have much time or space for hobbies like this right now, unfortunately.

Here's the KLOV thread I asked about doing a tube replacement a while back, looks like it's had a lot of replies since the last time I remembered to check it
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=151726&page=2

I came back here to ask because I realized I hadn't been active on these forums in a while and this is a cool place so I figured I would post again, and I'm leaning more and more towards just scrapping the cab and getting a new one. Here's kind of my thought process of my options:

1-New, functional cab off Craigslist: $150 - $300 (this cab was $80).
2-New / used monitor. Not sure on price, or how to get one. Seems easier than trying to scrounge out parts from random TVs.
3-This tube swap with a 19" TV strategy. Seems cool on paper, but here's my breakdown of time and costs:
--Read the information available on tube swapping enough to get an idea of what I am looking for, and maximize my chances of purchasing a TV that will be tube swappable. I'm thinking 2 hours of reading some websites here, as well as printing out the information to have with me.
--Find a 19" TV to tube swap. This is surprisingly difficult. When I first asked about this a few months ago, I went to a couple thrift shops to see what was up. Not a lot of TVs in thrift shops in the area, and 19" is a really odd size, so I think I found one Goodwill that had some. The TVs seemed to be $30 - $50 used, which is too expensive to just blindly buy some and hope they work. I'm thinking this will end up with about 5 shopping sessions at 4 hours each, just troweling through thrift shops until I find a 19" TV that will work. I can do maybe one of these a week, if I'm lucky.
--Do the actual work of swapping the tube. Besides the obvious technical challenges, I moved last summer and no longer have room to do this kind of work anymore in my apartment.

I'm willing to try this, doing it for $50 after parts and stuff would be great, but it's a hell of a lot of work.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Jomac from jomac.net.au can supply a chassis to work with just about any CRT imaginable. They aren't cheap, but they are fully refurbished and guaranteed.

The odds of getting some random TV with a CRT to suit your chassis is very unlikely. The other option is to grab an old TV off the side of the road and perform an RGB mod on it, which in most cases is extremely easy to do.

Last edited: