Replacing MVS cart shells

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I just bought a multicart, and I really like the shell that it came with - its a nice looking translucent green/turquoise with a kind of rough texture. I want to sell all but one or two of my real carts, but I think it would look good to replace the official shells with one of those green shells.

Is it common practice to do something like this? I like the PGM carts because they're all the same color, and they look great being all uniform on the shelf.

Do you guys consider this type of thing blasphemy against the church of Neo? What bothered me about MVS carts is that they were all different colors, and it looked kind of weird when they were next to each other. Im on the fence about shockboxes (plastic boxes to protect plastic carts?), so I don't really mind loose carts on a shelf.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Not only do they protect them, they keep dust out. That alone is worth it.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Swap them out or be a true fan and play the boards plugged directly into your system.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I've always thought having cart shells of different colors is part of the charm of the mvs.DSC00013-1.jpg

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
So do Windy sleeves.

This reminds me that I'm really close to pulling the trigger on buying windy sleeves for my whole collection, rather than finish the last half with shockboxes like my first half. Shocks are just too fucking big... Bad ass, but wastes my precious game shelf space.

OP, I personally like the multi colored, sometimes beat to shit shells, it's part of the MVS swagger. But I can appreciate wanting to get your collection uniform as well. I think you might want to check out those Windy sleeves too.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Omega red shells is The solution. You should get about 500 so shadow can start producing them :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
It's not common practice for all that I have observed. When you go with MVS you don't look for "shelf candy"... I guess if you did you should be looking into the home versions. As has been said, it makes more sense to 'invest' in Windy sleeves, NeoMiniBoxes or Shockboxes.

Even if you do replace the shells, you shouldn't throw out the old cases if the labels are in good condition - some people look for nice labels... ^^

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
A lot of my old shells are barely holding together. If anyone needs shells now, post on the market forums to get all the surplus stock out of the mix.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
I swapped my banana yellow multicart for a nice black one from a shit MVS donor game.

Anything else is fine but yellow! :thevt:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I swapped my banana yellow multicart for a nice black one from a shit MVS donor game.

Anything else is fine but yellow! :thevt:

I dunno, I'm kind of ok with the yellow. Plus, it's not like there's no official yellow MVS carts anyway. Translucent (of any colors) are my favorites. I like being able to quickly see the interior and confirming it's not a boot without having to open them. But I keep all my 160 something carts in shockboxes, so it's not like they need to look alike on the shelf to fit together.

I would say that changing the shell on a boot, or a multicart is fine (it's not like it's a genuine shell anyway), but changing the shells on original (especially if it has an intact label) is kind of silly. I thought the Omega shell looked awesome (better than anything else out there, including original), but to me, it's weird to take out the PCBs and putting the original shell aside. You can't throw it away, so what, you end up keeping 2 shells? That's weird. Same feeling as those games that comes with extra bonus steelbook cases, that if you want to use it, you would have to set aside the original case.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
I dunno, I'm kind of ok with the yellow. Plus, it's not like there's no official yellow MVS carts anyway. Translucent (of any colors) are my favorites. I like being able to quickly see the interior and confirming it's not a boot without having to open them. But I keep all my 160 something carts in shockboxes, so it's not like they need to look alike on the shelf to fit together.

I would say that changing the shell on a boot, or a multicart is fine (it's not like it's a genuine shell anyway), but changing the shells on original (especially if it has an intact label) is kind of silly. I thought the Omega shell looked awesome (better than anything else out there, including original), but to me, it's weird to take out the PCBs and putting the original shell aside. You can't throw it away, so what, you end up keeping 2 shells? That's weird. Same feeling as those games that comes with extra bonus steelbook cases, that if you want to use it, you would have to set aside the original case.

I wanted a clear one so I could see the chips/board inside but settled on black to be more in keeping with my MV-1B and supergun setup