Rene Auberjonois dead at age 79

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
'Star Trek' actor Rene Auberjonois dead at age 79

Los Angeles (AFP) - Actor Rene Auberjonois, known for his television roles on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and the US sitcom "Benson," died Sunday in Los Angeles after a battle with cancer. He was 79.

"We are heartbroken to confirm that Rene passed away today," a statement on the actor's website said.

In his official biography, the cause given was metastatic lung cancer.

Auberjonois earned legions of fans for his role as Odo, the shape-shifting head of security on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," one of the many spinoff series spawned by the legendary science fiction show.

He became a fan favorite at "Star Trek" conventions for years, donating the proceeds from autographed items to charities, such as Doctors Without Borders.

"I have had my share of successes and my share of flops. But nothing has ever been like this. 'Deep Space Nine' is completely beyond anything that I have ever experienced," the actor once said.

But he also was known for his portrayal in the 1980s of Clayton Endicott III, the chief of staff to a governor on the long-running sitcom "Benson."

Other career highlights include his appearance in Robert Altman's 1970 film "MASH" as Father Mulcahy; a role on the quirky TV drama "Boston Legal"; and a host of voice roles in animated fare, including his performance as Chef Louis in Disney's "The Little Mermaid."

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Saw this earlier tonight. Great actor, RIP.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I remember him from Police Academy, but know him most as Odo from DS9.

Lung cancer is a terrible way to die. The cancer spreads all over your lungs. You have trouble breathing, then eventually you can't anymore. My girlfriend's cancer started off as colorectal, but spread into her lungs and that's how she passed. Watching her struggle to breathe her final week was the hardest thing.

R.I.P.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
He was a solid actor. I know everyone remembers him as Odo, but I always remembered him as 'the guy with the voice from Benson.' RIP Rene.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
See you in a couple hundred years.

latest

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
this makes me sad - I hate that 70's is the new norm for men to die

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Another actor from my favorite Trek series gone, RIP Rene and Eisenberg

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
RIP Odo!
This year has not been kind to DS9 actors.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm often surprised when a heavily make-upped actor dies, he could have been 50 or 100 as far as I knew.

Farewell fellow Ferenghi detester.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Just to throw it out there, he did a boat load of voice acting and really did shine at it. Also, a voice for a fun character in one of my favorite movies.