Removal of serial numbers

Dizrythmia

n00b
I've bought a few MVS cartridges from www.amusementworx.com.au in the past month & I've noticed that while all of them have the sticker with the name of the game on it, there are a few that I have purchased that have had the serial numbers cut out. I just think that this is a bit odd & was wondering if someone can shed some light on why someone would do this. All of their carts are second hand & have been used by vendors for use in the local arcades but I cannot think of a reason why vendors or collectors would need to remove them.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Supposedly arcade operators were not supposed to sell their MVS cartridges in the aftermarket, so they scratched off the serials so that SNK wouldn't be able to track them down and haul them off to concentration camps :). That's the only plausible explanation I've heard, anyway.

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Dizrythmia said:
I've bought a few MVS cartridges from www.amusementworx.com.au in the past month & I've noticed that while all of them have the sticker with the name of the game on it, there are a few that I have purchased that have had the serial numbers cut out. I just think that this is a bit odd & was wondering if someone can shed some light on why someone would do this. All of their carts are second hand & have been used by vendors for use in the local arcades but I cannot think of a reason why vendors or collectors would need to remove them.

Hey there Dizrythmia!! Although your question has been answered to some degree already, I just wanted to say that at last it seems I'm not alone with my Neo addiction in our sleepy little city!!! I'm in North Adelaide man! Where you at?? :eek:

Dizrythmia

n00b
John_Smith said:
Hey there Dizrythmia!! Although your question has been answered to some degree already, I just wanted to say that at last it seems I'm not alone with my Neo addiction in our sleepy little city!!! I'm in North Adelaide man! Where you at?? :eek:

I'm at Mawson Lakes. There are more SA Neo fans than I originally thought it would seem.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
collectors cut off the serial number and store it in a plastic baggie

metalslug5

n00b
SNK gave $25 credit to serial numbers mailed in

SNK Corp. used to give $25 credit to owners who mailed there serial numbers to SNK USA or SNK Japan. :multi_co:

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
metalslug5 said:
SNK Corp. used to give $25 credit to owners who mailed there serial numbers to SNK USA or SNK Japan. :multi_co:

Really? Why would they do that?