Record collecting

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The thing about carousel style jukes is that the discs are always moving. So they get lots of scuff from running all the time. The vertical ones are easily the worst since the discs are always sliding up and down.

My Rock Ola 488 also had the problem that the carousel would rotate any time that the juke was on and not in play mode. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be that way or if it had a bad logic circuit.

But I've seen plenty of 45's that were on location with marks on them from rotating in the carosel. The Nas 45 that I sold had them.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can't imagine any jukebox that is kind to the discs like a nice balanced tonearm.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Nice collection Xavi. I like collecting 45s but it's not my usual thing. I'm more of a fan of 12" maxi singles. Some awesome mixes back in the 80s on that.

I think I'll skip that sunset riders. Lol on 1000 being limited edition.

Love the artwork for Snatcher but I can get into the music. Preorders are also up for that.

https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/store/albums/snatcher

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm thinking about getting into Record collecting what do I need to get started?

I also wanted to note that I was at Bestbuy and they had a standard Sony PS turntable.

This should be a decent entry level table. Back in the 90's and early 2000's, those types of tables could be found in every electronics store. Then the Crap tables came out and forced the SONY, TEAC and other entry level tables out.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When you have a jukebox (or two), you pretty much buy 45's out of habit.
Hell, I was buying 45's for my "Jukebox" before I ever got one. Then you realize that you have 300 discs and your juke can only hold 40-100 discs (80 seems standard). Cutting it down is a chore.
Hell, I was buying 45's for my "Jukebox" before I ever got one.

The other thing that is different about collecting for juke is that you go after different types of 45's. The B-Side is almost as important as the A-side. With so few selections, you want to make sure you get something that can be enjoyed on a repeated basis. Reissues and double hit A-sides are suddenly important. Promo 45's (with the same song on both sides) are no longer desirable.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So I sold all of my "For Sale" LP's.

Some guy looking to start a record shop bought me out.

Back on the hunt.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
What do jukeboxes run you these days? I like that idea.

Last time I looked it was in the low thousands for a restored jukebox. Not sure if new ones are being made but I can't see them going for less than 3000.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
What do jukeboxes run you these days? I like that idea.
A few hundred to a grand depends on the model. Bubblers can go for a few grand, I frequently see 70's-80's 45 models that the sellers claim work for $200 (asking).
I've had several for that $400 range, clean(shopped out tuned up repaired), working and nice tunes. Not quick sellers, takes 6 months to 2 years to get rid of them usually. Some Reallllly old jukes sell for a few grand as well. Don't know why you'd want them, they hold something weird like 25 10" 78's or something.

I want to get some of these old NSMs with all the speakers to hear how they sound, they usually go for a couple hundred
http://www.betterdaze.co.uk/media/uploads/2016/08/08/nsm-concert-240-57225.jpg
These ones look cool as well and are also cheap: http://www.jukebox-uk.biz/images/stories/general_vinyl_jukeboxes/satellite-003.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I got mine for free.

Working 45rpm jukes can be had in the $200-$500 range. Though you should expect to have to do some repairs or maintenance.
Maybe pay $1000 for a fully shopped one.

For every nice aesthetically pleasing juke out there, there are two ass ugly 60's/70's machines and one not so ugly 70's 80's machine.

There are some really awful ugly jukes out there.
Like the aesthetic equivalent of a Lordsvale cab.

Last edited:

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
do not get one of the cheap Crosley setups.

There's 1000's of used turntables that are much much better.

Buying used is a great idea.
Check out an estate sale or two on the weekend, and you'll most likely find a deal.

I'd offer 20 or so less than they are selling it for, and then take it to get a nice tuneup, and you'll be set.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
If anyone cares. At noon est on wed jan 18th they're selling the 3rd pressing of Carpenter Brut's Trilogy.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Working 45rpm jukes can be had in the $200-$500 range. Though you should expect to have to do some repairs or maintenance. Maybe pay $1000 for a fully shopped one.
They can be rather low maintenance if you get it in good condition. Couple mechanical parts that need oil not much else. Friend of mine had one in his bar before he switched to a digital touch screen.

Late 80's model I think.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Alright y'all. I have a couple of inexpensive records that are a bit warped. What's the best way to try to restore them? I've seen the glass in the oven method but don't necessarily want to buy glass to bake my records.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
you might be able to restore with warm water

put it in a basin with something heavy over the water should be just warm enough heat up the plastic to where you can reform it

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If anyone cares. At noon est on wed jan 18th they're selling the 3rd pressing of Carpenter Brut's Trilogy.
saw that as well - good luck to anyone on the hunt.

got the 2nd press by sheer luck, motherfuckers need to produce sufficient numbers.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
saw that as well - good luck to anyone on the hunt.

got the 2nd press by sheer luck, motherfuckers need to produce sufficient numbers.

I'll need all the luck I can get for this

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They can be rather low maintenance if you get it in good condition. Couple mechanical parts that need oil not much else. Friend of mine had one in his bar before he switched to a digital touch screen.

Late 80's model I think.

Yes, they can be low maintenance if you get one fully shopped.

But it will take a stroke of luck to find a fully shopped one for $200.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Alright y'all. I have a couple of inexpensive records that are a bit warped. What's the best way to try to restore them? I've seen the glass in the oven method but don't necessarily want to buy glass to bake my records.

I'm going to try the glass.

I have some nice stuff that is too warped to play.

Joy Division Closer
Killing Joke
Replacements
Brian Eno

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm going to try the glass.

I have some nice stuff that is too warped to play.

Joy Division Closer
Killing Joke
Replacements
Brian Eno
Let me know how it goes, I'm not a fan of baking records but if it works why not

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I live with most warps. I thought about buying the Vinyl Flat but it seems like a ripoff.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I live with most warps. I thought about buying the Vinyl Flat but it seems like a ripoff.

These ones i'd do it on are too warped to play the first track or two.

I have lots of slight warps. It seems like modern pressing plant can't make a straight record weighing less than 180grams. And even some of the 180's are warped.