Reco PCB - JAMMA autofire & button remapping

gabe

Quiz Detective
As far as I can tell, there are no threads here to discuss this awesome device. Anyone else here using one? What games have you "fixed" with it, and how?

Details from the FS thread at shmups:

RGB said:
Reco PCB is a microcontroller based device that allows you to change the button layout in your arcade cabinet (or supergun’s joypad/arcade stick) on-the-fly. It also has a fully configurable autofire feature for every button.

Reco PCB plugs between a JAMMA PCB game and an arcade cabinet’s/supergun’s JAMMA harness. By pressing a combination of buttons, you can access the “configuration mode” which allows you to remap the buttons, enable autofire and access the PCB game’s test/service modes.

The official thread with full specs is here

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with RGB, or the Reco PCB. I just think it's the most useful arcade accessory I've purchased since the Unibios.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This would certainly be more convenient than my supergun remapping idea of having a bunch of terminals and wires and just hooking stuff up whenever remapping is needed. A bit pricier though lol but certainly worth the price.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Is this purely a software mod or the buttons need the new quick connects? Sounds like a really handy solution for my cabinet if my impression of it is correct?

gabe

Quiz Detective
Is this purely a software mod or the buttons need the new quick connects? Sounds like a really handy solution for my cabinet if my impression of it is correct?
Strictly software (if I'm understanding your question correctly). After the Reco PCB is installed, there's no reason to touch the quick connects on your buttons. More info on how Reco does JAMMA+ here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45870

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
It's very cool and I might grab one. My only minor nitpick is I wish the kick harness output was still the standard connector, making it truly a plug and play solution. As it stands now I'll need to create a new kick harness cable.

Still, a really awesome product.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I own one and I love it! test button mapping is nice and the autofire has alot of options!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Any lag?

Has anyone tried this with a Vs cable?

gabe

Quiz Detective
My only minor nitpick is I wish the kick harness output was still the standard connector, making it truly a plug and play solution. As it stands now I'll need to create a new kick harness cable.
I think the issue here is that there is no "standard." Different manufacturers have used different methods to add more buttons. You can order it with a CPS2 connector, which is probably the closest to a standard that there is.

Any lag?

Has anyone tried this with a Vs cable?
According to the tech thread at shmups, it is lagless. In my brief experience with it, that certainly seems to be the case. I haven't tried it with a VS cable, but it should work.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Whatever microcontroller code is running is probably very minimal and just a few cycles, and I'm sure the sampling rate is an order of magnitude finer than the game's framerate. Ought to be lagless. This isn't like console converters where it first has to untangle a signal into discrete inputs (where a lot of them take a hit on lag), it has discrete inputs from the get-go.

SSS

neo retired
Wow, that's pretty neat. Although as I understand it, you would need to reprogram every time you swap a game out. Doesn't save multiple schemes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

gabe

Quiz Detective
Although as I understand it, you would need to reprogram every time you swap a game out. Doesn't save multiple schemes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
That is correct, however it saves the last scheme used (even if switching games), and is quite easy to reprogram.