Real hardware with bootleg games or fake hardware with real games?

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I know this doesnt totally work in the context of neogeo but I was wondering whats the general conscious on this.

If you had to go one way or the other whats better. Is it better to play a bunch of legit games on something like a retron 5 or is it better to own a multicart game and play them on something like a aes?

Imho every situation has breaking point. I personally always like to own legit games on legit hardware but when either become moronically priced that option goes away. Its pretty much why playing legit AES isnt a valid option to the vast majority anymore.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Peanut Butter and Jelly or Jelly and Peanut Butter.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
No point in using real games if you use fake hardware.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I personally always like to own legit games on legit hardware

you have just answered your own question there.no one deliberately collects boot games to play on actual hardware or vice versa. people avoid playing retro games on emulators and ports to play on actual hardware for authenticity.so bootlegging is going to be out of the question. if price is an issue, then they avoid the aes and approach the mvs and neo cd.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
If no real thing exists, and the game hardware itself is simple enough, I'll go for a decent quality boot.

I mean, you can't buy a legit copy of Mother 3 in english for GBA, but the GBA cart hardware is pretty simple, so you can get a decent bootleg from french ebay sellers for like $15. They're just a storage medium.

Neo Geo carts are different. they hold more than just the program and art/sound assets.

Flash carts are the best though.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah pretty much all flash carts, hdd and sd for me for the most part. My hardcore game collecting days are over. I do still collect hardware so consoles, controllers. memory cards and other misc stuff I do keep.

so the answer real hardware with games loaded from flash carts, hdd and sd cards...and cdr/dvdr sometimes

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
No point in using real games if you use fake hardware.

Basically the crux of the matter. If you care primarily about gameplay (which you should) you need real hardware. How the game data gets to the CPU etc. is irrelevant, whether it be a 'legit' game or a flashcart.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Anything original, in a plain and simple-minded sense of the word, will add quality to whatever else you have in mind. On the other hand, it's all about fine tuning. If I had to choose between two set-ups, one being completely digital, but perfect all the way (top controller, pixel-perfect resolution, lag-free displaying etc.) and the other, being original, yet flawed (CVBS signal, an old small CRT, worn out or unsuitable controller and so on), then original would mean nothing to me.

It's only a matter of time, till original soft- & hardware grinds to a halt and will only exist as part of a neural-interactive simulation... emulation is just an intermediate step, still, I embrace it if it grants me perfection, with all the small imperfections I am used to, of course.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
Real hardware + a everdrive > real carts + retron or equivalent.

I've stopped buying SFC Carts in favor of this and for all future systems I'm going this way. I'm looking at a PC Engine and Turboeverdrive next.

In short I'm only buying MVS carts and everdrives from now on .

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I prefer Everdrives and other quality flash carts with real hardware + occasional legit game purchases to round it out. Retro gaming is very expensive now and the space taken up by physical media adds up. For current consoles and handhelds, I buy all games legitimately, primarily digitally, and try to wait for sales.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Flashcarts / boots on real hardware can be identical to the real thing. Playing real carts on an emulator is no different from playing ROMs on an emulator.

It's funny when idiots ask for everdrive support on a retron 5. That's gotta be the most ridiculous way to play ROMs on an emulator.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Real hardware original code. Everdrives and even things like the GDEmu which help loading performance are great.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If it passes the pepsi challenge, I don't see much of an issue. I think people's main gripe about emulation and clone systems is the lack of accuracy. If the neo geo x was spot on, it probably wouldn't get as many complaints as it did.

As most others here I would say original hardware with non original games. That seems to be best performance. The only advantage I've liked from emulation besides convenience was the ability to get the games to display at many different resolutions. I like the way CRT looks though, so I usually just hook up a system instead of emulate it.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
As most others here I would say original hardware with non original games. That seems to be best performance. The only advantage I've liked from emulation besides convenience was the ability to get the games to display at many different resolutions. I like the way CRT looks though, so I usually just hook up a system instead of emulate it.

Not to mention using the original controllers. Nothing beats a SNES controller

Not to mention using the original controllers. Nothing beats a SNES controller

SNES controller is good, but man I love wiggling that joystick and smashing those arcade buttons. I've never bothered to try out the snes advantage stick though.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I recently finished my own arcade stick with sanwa buttons and a JLF stick in a bamboo tea box.

I did a Toodles Cthulhu MC and the interchangeable RJ45 cables for stuff like SNES.

It's really fun to play Super C with it.

rsz_xhqcad3.jpg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There are acceptable reasons for using non-legit software: Unreleased/protos, English patches, even games that are prohibitively expensive. However, I can't really understand why one would want a retron5, a Famiclone, or one of those retro 51 games in one deals from the toy store. You can always just find hardware used at reasonable prices for most consoles, and the difference in performance is tangible.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...I can't really understand why one would want a retron5, a Famiclone, or one of those retro 51 games...

Consider it as merchandise of the omnipresent "retro" craze, besides, people tend towards laziness. If a retron5 offers an easy to plug HDMI out, then never mind the 16:9 deformed picture, never mind the lag and glitches. Main point being, I save myself the spaghetti syndrome and four other plastic boxes I'd throw away anyhow, when it's hipsterism ceases. It's quite simple, really.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of wires. Wires connect things. And if you're into this hobby just to follow a trend, then you and I are in it for very different reasons.