Re-programming Flash memory

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
I have a Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ that is reporting three (of the eight) Flash chips as 'Bad' on power up as part of its self test.

None of my programmers will handle this type of Flash (TSOP48, 29F016A-90PFTN which is
16M-BIT [2M X 8] ) and I'm trying to find somebody in the UK who can handle them - can anyone here oblige please?

Also, given that they are corrupted/gone bad is there a chance that they could simply be re-flashed with the correct binaries or is it likely that they will need to be replaced with suitably programed new chips?

caius

n00b
Hi, I could program these flash ROMs (my programmer support them) but I'd need first the adapter and I'm located in Italy.

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks for the offer, a pity that you're in Italy.

How much would the adapter cost?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You sure they are bad and not just linked to a common part that has failed?

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Sure as I can be - they are 'scattered' among the eight and don't share a common chip in the way that would only cause these three to be reported as bad.

Is it likely that they are simply corrupted and can be re-programmed, or is it more likely that newly programmed Flash chip will need to be used?

caius

n00b
Thanks for the offer, a pity that you're in Italy.

How much would the adapter cost?

Hi, adapter (chinese but functional) is not expensive at all, around 40$, I'm thinking to get it also for reprogramming BIOS on CPS3 cart.

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Well, if you're getting it anyway ......... :)

How about the Flash chips? Do you have any of those?

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
You can buy them programmed from buyicnow. I think Fujitsu has a tsop48 that is 90 ns

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Programming is easy. Even a WILLEM will do it in less than 10 seconds. If you aren't really good at soldering let someone who is do it for you. I can't tell you how many CPS3 carts I've had to repair for people after they burned traces off trying to solder the chips back down.

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
I'm used to SMT work, it's just finding a suitable adapter that's the problem - my Galep-4 won't handle the Flash in question and neither apparently will my Wellon VP-280

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You have a System 573, so you can try to reprogram it from a CDROM drive connected to the unit. PM me because I can give you a lead on installing the game. (this goes into the territory of using a CD with the protection patched out, it's not something I did myself but something I'm not sure is kosher to go into detail about out in the open)

Last edited: