Rank Your Top 5 Worst Consoles

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I wish I had more $$ back then...the 32X, the Gen 2 Sega CD, the 3DO, the Jaguar...all were being fire sold new in box for pennies on the dollar by 1995/1996...and I was broke as a joke.

That's why I rarely bought stuff on release but waited for the prices to come down a little, or in case of the 32X and Jag a whole lot. When the Jaguar hit the shops over here, it didn't take long before its price dropped like a rock. I was mildly interested in it at first but never had the urge to buy one, it was just a tad bit too strange, even for me.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I wish I had more $$ back then...the 32X, the Gen 2 Sega CD, the 3DO, the Jaguar...all were being fire sold new in box for pennies on the dollar by 1995/1996...and I was broke as a joke.

I bought a Jaguar new-in-the-box in around 1999 from a local video game store for $24.99. They had a stack of them, and a stack of NIB 32X's for the same price. I got the Jag only because I remembered playing Cybermorph at a demo kiosk way back in late '93 or early '94 and being blown away.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
I'm thinking there was going to be some gaming console that used VHS Tapes instead of carts, but it was never released. Or maybe I just imagined that.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm thinking there was going to be some gaming console that used VHS Tapes instead of carts, but it was never released. Or maybe I just imagined that.

There was, it was light gun games and called action max

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
If this thread was consoles you were most disappointed in looking back on them, and not worst consoles ever, the Turbografx and US Saturn would be #1 and #2 because of the great games IMO that never made it to the States

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
A Failed System != to a shitty system.

My own experience, and what I've owned/played I can think of only 2:

Jaguar
So it really is a shitty system, the controller sucks bad. But even so I don't regret getting it, it has 3-4 decent games for it, and I got this, with Pitfall and Alien v. Predator for under $50 a while back.

Jaguar CD
I haven't played Iron Soldier 2, but everything else I've tried on this POS just fucking blows.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I used to have one of those Action Max systems. I think we must have found it somewhere on closeout. Only game I ever had for it was that Pops Ghostly deal. It was neat. Actually wouldn't mind having one now...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The 32X really had potential. Imagine the stuff a capable developer could have done with the 32X + MegaCD combo but it came way too late and its technical specs were a bit unorthodox to say the least.

Btw., I bought it -almost- new two years after its release when it was almost dead already. As I said, I was kinda pissed after support got quickly dropped but in the end, I got a ton of gameplay out of the titles I've named before so I really can't complain.
I actually drank the koolaid and got a 32x the Christmas it was released with Doom. I didn't have a pc, so this was fucking badass. I rented pretty much every game from Blockbuster until they put them on clearance for $3 each and I bought most of them.

It didn't have a lot of great titles, but that 8 months or so was fantastic. Some of you know this, but I love it enough that I built a Neptune.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
There are only two consoles I ever played that I would feel comfortable completely trashing:

1. CD-i: Played this piece of shit multiple times in Macy's back when they used to push high-end game consoles. It's one of the only game consoles I ever didn't want as a kid.
2. Atari 2600: Fuck whether it was a pioneering system. This thing is the reigning emperor of shovelware. I never enjoyed playing anything on the 2600 even in the 80s. Hell, I had more fun with the Intellivision.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I used to have one of those Action Max systems. I think we must have found it somewhere on closeout. Only game I ever had for it was that Pops Ghostly deal. It was neat. Actually wouldn't mind having one now...

Dude, I literally just threw mine out 3 months ago with like 5 of the games. I didn't think anyone would have wanted it :(

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
If I limit the list to just consoles that I owned, not counting computer types or handhelds, only rate them based on what they were at the time, and my experience with them, then here is my list.

6. Honorable mention - Sega Genesis - There was shit for games here locally for this. I only had like 3 or four games for it and seldom found any to rent that I liked. A good system to be sure, in later years when I got to play more stuff for it but at the time, I was pretty unhappy with it.

5. Intellivision - The controllers were all around a pain. The squiggle cords on them were way too short and that stupid disc and buttons on the side. I just never felt like it was comfortable to play. There were many games I liked but I got the system second hand and by that time there was no buying new games unless you found them used in some thrift shop. It was fun for a summer but not so much after that.

4. 3DO - I fell for the hype. There were several good games but over all there was a lot of crap and the system just didn't have enough to make it feel worth owning. I liked the stupid pack in party game better than almost any game on the system. There were a lot of games that I wanted to like, but couldn't get into.

3. Atari 5200 - Fucking controllers. I mean what the hell. Being a kid and lusting over those super awesome looking graphics but the controls were so shitty you can't play the games. That and a lot of the games were just remakes of the stuff I could already play on 2600.

2. Atari Jaguar - I found one in a pawn shop back when they were still being sold new. I traded a laser printer for it, back when a laser printer was a big deal. (I got it from a job. They upgraded and I got to have the old one) Anyhow, I bought some games for it and was pretty much let down by most of them. I had like 3 games I liked. I really wanted to like that system.

1. N64 - I absolutely hate that system. I hate the controls, I hate the graphics. I hate the color palettes it used. I couldn't tell what I was looking at half the time. The 3D bullshit was mostly just me running into walls. Oh.. you need an expansion pack.. and your stick is going to constantly pull one direction. I hate the N64.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
1. N64 - I absolutely hate that system. I hate the controls, I hate the graphics. I hate the color palettes it used. I couldn't tell what I was looking at half the time. The 3D bullshit was mostly just me running into walls. Oh.. you need an expansion pack.. and your stick is going to constantly pull one direction. I hate the N64.

You are my new, temporary, best internet friend...

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
If you would just apply this line of thinking to your posting style, you would just stop and we'd all be much better off.

Perhaps you should look at your own posts, most of them are worse than mine.

I seem to recall a lame joke about playing with yourself a weekly roundup. If I'm dumb then your definitely dumber.

Next thing you'll take over the news broadcast from Pasky.

Please excuse me while I go ass someone a few questions.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Same here. To say that there is "nothing redeemable" about it is just ignorant. Sure, I'd be unhappy if I bought it brand new back in 1994, but they're cool to pick up now. Same goes for the Jag and the 3DO in my opinion. Those consoles were both technologically amazing when they came out. The Jag didn't get enough must have games, but is still fun to own nowadays, and the 3DO had quite a few good games but just cost too much back then. I own just about every console there is, and they all have at least a few games that make the system worth owning.

Highly agree with this, the 32X has been a great system ever since it became inexpensive. I've always had at least one 32X it seems, it's hard not to when you look at the library. It has around 30 carts, which is honestly quite a lot. Most of us can barely list 30 favorites for most other consoles which have hundreds of games. There are some 32X games I haven't tried out yet. Recently I got Knuckles Chaotix, which is a lot better than people make it sound like.

My all-time favorite failed console is definitely the Virtual Boy. Ever since having played a real one, I've been hooked ever since. It may have few games, but nearly all of them are very good. In fact the only game I don't like much is Mario Clash, but that's because it's missing the hit-ceiling mechanic from the original Mario Bros. I can play the VB for hours with no headaches or anything, it looks fine to me.

Since then I've become very skeptical of what's commonly considered to be "bad" consoles. The VB, 32X and Sega CD are not bad consoles, they all have good games and are very playable. If I had the opportunity, I'd give the CD-i and Jaguar an honest try. They can't possibly be that bad. I haven't played much 3DO but it looks to have some classics of its own. Hard to complain about a console with the best Road Rash on it.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
4. 3DO - I fell for the hype. There were several good games but over all there was a lot of crap and the system just didn't have enough to make it feel worth owning. I liked the stupid pack in party game better than almost any game on the system. There were a lot of games that I wanted to like, but couldn't get into.

1. N64- Cannot agree more. I absolutely hate N64! After all these years, I still hate the controller. Out of all the systems that I own, I've spent the least time on N64.

2. 3DO- My 3DO has been collecting dust at home. Besides Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Road Rash and some Japanese games, I just can't get myself into many 3DO games.

3. Original Gameboy- Playing my friend's GB and looking at the tiny black and white screen made me sick. I was into PC Engine GT and Game Gear, but not Gameboy. I have never owned an original Gameboy despite its popularity.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Perhaps you should look at your own posts, most of them are worse than mine.

I seem to recall a lame joke about playing with yourself a weekly roundup. If I'm dumb then your definitely dumber.

Next thing you'll take over the news broadcast from Pasky.

Please excuse me while I go ass someone a few questions.

U mad, bro.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
...I've become very skeptical of what's commonly considered to be "bad" consoles.

Seeing some of the responses in this thread makes me wonder too, especially the frequency with which the PS1, PS2, and PS3 have been mentioned. Maybe it has to do with the reliability of the PS1 and PS2 (I have gone through several), but this is all subjective and based on personal experience to an extent.

Also, there is a difference with getting these systems today as opposed to when they first came out. Back then, when a lot of us were teens or kids, speaking from personal experience at least, it would have been really disappointing to pay full price for a system and games and then shortly after find out that the system would be discontinued, or that there weren't a lot of games coming out for the system, or that the games sucked. I couldn't just go out and buy another system, so quantity and quality of games for a system was important to me, just like the longevity of the system itself.

Today, when we are adults, have jobs, and many are collectors and have numerous games and systems, I think it is easier to pick up a system like the 32X and enjoy the quality gaming experiences on it and maybe see its redeeming qualities. Not for me though, as far as the 32X is concerned. On the other hand, the SMS is another system that has been mentioned which I personally like. I have been playing the Sonic SMS games through RGB on my PVM and I am surprised at how good these SMS games look. I look forward to exploring more of the SMS library.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Today, when we are adults, have jobs, and many are collectors and have numerous games and systems, I think it is easier to pick up a system like the 32X and enjoy the quality gaming experiences on it and maybe see its redeeming qualities.

I agree with you 90's, but when it comes to the cdi there are no redeeming qualities and i've yet to play a half decent game on it in all honesty.
Can understand why a lot of members dog the N64 as well, i was never on board with it, bought it on launch day with turok and was bitterly disappointed, after waiting months for a decent game to come out for it i gave up, conkers bad fur day was the highlight for me

Last edited: