Rally Chase CD to Cartridge Conversion

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Edit: tldr: Here are the three files to replace in your Thrash Rally rom set to convert it to Rally Chase:

And here's a .neo you can add to your set:

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Has anyone ever tried to convert Rally Chase from the Neo Geo CD to cartridge? It's a single-load game with one PRG file. The CD version has a few differences: Some cars have manual shifting, I think it's easier. I kind of prefer Rally Chase. I thought it would be nice to be able to load the Rally Chase rom on the cart system.

Anyway, I tried to convert the RALLY.PRG to cartridge, but I can't get it to boot. Maybe it's because they've replaced all the music calls in the P rom on this game. Is there anyone better at this willing to take a look at it?
Is there a video coming?

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Nice job and good read! hopfully it gets added to the darksoft cart

neoVLAD

n00b
here is the darksoft rally chase file can someone try it out let me know if it works i added a folder that had the original trash rally name so that the menu can recognize the folder and play the game

Attachments

• trally.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Game saves go by NGH game ID, not the game title, right?

I noticed that the original CD version of Rally Chase saves on the NGCD internal memory as "Thrash Rally". I guess they forgot to change that.

Anyway, I noticed Thrash Rally saves load just fine in Rally Chase on a cart system. It's nice that they are intercompatible.

Reactions: wyo

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don’t see any new firmware update for the darksoft cart yet
It's the menu that needs to be updated, not the firmware (sorry I don't know anything about the Darksoft cart).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
For fun, I decided to do the reverse and ported Thrash Rally to the NGCD. I only replaced the .PRG so far.

Interestingly, the CD music isn't playing, even though the bye at $107 is set to 0 and I'm using the z80 sound driver for the CD version. I wonder what extra code they added for the CD version is needed to make it play the CD audio tracks. The sound effects are working though.

20230221_002427.jpg

Last edited:

neoVLAD

n00b

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I can't imagine why anyone would want it, but here's my completed cart-to-CD conversion of Thrash Rally:

It sucks because I couldn't get the CD audio working with the cart program for some reason, and the V rom samples didn't fit within the NGCD's limit, so I used the cartridge sound data, and you get the usual glitchy annoying sound. I wonder if there is a section of the P rom I could copy over from the CD to get the redbook audio playing.

neoVLAD

n00b
I can't imagine why anyone would want it, but here's my completed cart-to-CD conversion of Thrash Rally:

It sucks because I couldn't get the CD audio working with the cart program for some reason, and the V rom samples didn't fit within the NGCD's limit, so I used the cartridge sound data, and you get the usual glitchy annoying sound. I wonder if there is a section of the P rom I could copy over from the CD to get the redbook audio playing.
your doing great stuff Neo Alec thanks for sharing your work I was wondering if your going to make a second video of the big red now that you have it for a while any chance you can tell us which finish did you pick for the side art matte or gloss

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
your doing great stuff Neo Alec thanks for sharing your work I was wondering if your going to make a second video of the big red now that you have it for a while any chance you can tell us which finish did you pick for the side art matte or gloss
What for? What are you interested in knowing? I was finished working on the big red when I made the video. Since then it has collected dust, I dust it off when I do monthly cleaning or have company. I use it to try out, test or practice things for my Youtube videos. There's no finish on the sides -- It's red vinyls with black paint on the bottom.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
FBNEO team has included it.

For MVSX and ASP, I renamed the rom to trallycd
who submitted it?
Apparently the romhacking.net patch had the wrong xdeltas for the graphics roms. Someone messaged me on their forums on the 18th warning me on it. Oh well lol