Radioshack closing.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Don't know if anybody really cares or not, but the radio shack is liquidating their stores. mind you by now, All that is left is a bunch of phone accessories and the electronic hobbyist section. but everything is 20 to 50 % off, so check it out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's amazing they stayed in business this long. They should've closed shop ten years ago along with Circuit City.

fuck

ten years ago was 2005

ok maybe they should've closed shop 15 years ago...

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
iG5Hj7g.jpg

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-for-the-Radio-SHACKENING&highlight=rat+shack

in the Olden tymes things like these would be merged sumtimes?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I heard about this last week. Thought about making a thread but didn't think anyone cared(considering it's RadioShack). I don't even remember the last time I stepped foot inside one. Whenever I'd pass one it seemed like the place was dead. It certainly was 'the' place to go to for electronic merchandise back in the 80's & 90's however.

I bet those gun freaks up in Oregon are pissed though. Certain "independent" RadioShack's up there sell(sold) guns

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Radioshack to me was the only real place to go in the 80s where I could find all sorts of cables and wires for my home sound system.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I tried to think of things I could use from Radio Shack, but all i could come up with is some solder rolls and random capacitors. I can probably get better material online anyways.

end of an era, but it was time to go.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
One of the few reasons I ever had to visit the mall. Now I have to wait for shipping. Boo.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
oh look, I could use a y-splitter so I could play my ipod on my speakers

*drives to radioshack*

24.99!

*looks on eBay*

3.99 delivered from China, shipping included

fuck you, Radioshack.

Sorry for the people losing their jobs, but it's probably for the better, plus they'll get unemployment for a while.

Also, I worked at Circuit City for about a year until their demise in 2009 (they waited until after Christmas the same way Radioshack did). Had Circuit City just focused on the TV and computers, I think it'd still be around. Prices were actually pretty competitive. The shut down was due to the gigantic stores they couldn't afford anymore and misc. sections that were taking up way too much space. Also, getting rid of their appliances hurt them more than they realized. You lost a serious section of consumers that were buying stoves and fridges.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
oh look, I could use a y-splitter so I could play my ipod on my speakers

*drives to radioshack*

24.99!

*looks on eBay*

3.99 delivered from China, shipping included

fuck you, Radioshack.

Sorry for the people losing their jobs, but it's probably for the better, plus they'll get unemployment for a while.

Also, I worked at Circuit City for about a year until their demise in 2009 (they waited until after Christmas the same way Radioshack did). Had Circuit City just focused on the TV and computers, I think it'd still be around. Prices were actually pretty competitive. The shut down was due to the gigantic stores they couldn't afford anymore and misc. sections that were taking up way too much space. Also, getting rid of their appliances hurt them more than they realized. You lost a serious section of consumers that were buying stoves and fridges.

in the 90s, circuit city employees knew their shit.

but when the new CEO came in, fired all the longtime, knowledgeable employees and replaced them with new workers (the thinking being they're saving money by not paying the new people as much) who knew jack shit, that hurt them.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
RadioShack was THE electronic hobbyist store in the 80's/90's. The internet slaughtered them though and like many stores, they dropped their core users and became some shit gadget store. In the end, Roker is right, their prices were bat shit crazy and they became the "no other option" store for me when I was a field tech.

Circuit City...I always felt that really sucked. In its prime, our CC was far better than Best Buy. I had a friend that worked there for much of the 90's into the early 2000s and his stories of mismanagement were pretty crazy.

After the smoke has cleared, the only big-box electronics store we have left is Best Buy...all others have closed. I wonder how long they will hold on...

landsharkzero

New Challenger
I picked up a soldering gun kit last week for 50% off. The employee working there told me that they were moving in a few months to a better location.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
So true all day long Smokehouse. Those Weird Al commercials aren't helping much either. This is a damn shame. :(

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We have TWO radioshacks in my town. They've yet to begin to liquidate stock. Im hoping the LittleBits products they sell will be 50% off.

I tried to think of things I could use from Radio Shack, but all i could come up with is some solder rolls and random capacitors. I can probably get better material online anyways.

end of an era, but it was time to go.

I've been using RadioShack semi regularly for the past year when I needed a common component to finish a project - I probably would have been better served ordering online.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Out of the four stores in my city, looks like 1 is staying open... or I haven't found it on the list, anyways. They sorted the list by store number instead of city name. Retarded.

No big loss, the last time I went in there they barely had components. Didn't find what I needed and walked straight the fuck out.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
The one near me isn't on the closing list. I got a feeling though that it will just be changed over to a Sprint Store.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
in the 90s, circuit city employees knew their shit.

but when the new CEO came in, fired all the longtime, knowledgeable employees and replaced them with new workers (the thinking being they're saving money by not paying the new people as much) who knew jack shit, that hurt them.

Yep- back when CC was still a good store, I preferred them to BestBuy, way better employees and same prices.

Roker is right regarding RadioShack's pricing- I needed adaptors for wall plugs to use in Germany, so I went there to look. They had them for $20 and up. I got on Newegg at home and ordered 6 for $25 (including shipping), and Newegg sent me 10 extras for free.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Looks like most of the ones near me are closing down. Tempted to go in and see what stuff might be left over.

The thing that annoyed me the most with RS was that the last couple of times I went in just to pick up some resistors and caps for a small project I was working on, the employee was trying to sell me a replacement plan for $5 on an already pricey pack of components.

Good riddance.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I feel bad for all the people that will be out of work.

With that said......

FUCK RADIO SHACK.....hard.....in the ASS!

It's their own fucking fault. Sure RS was the only game in town back in the day. But times have changed and RS failed to adapt.

On their going out of business sales.....

FUCK their sales.

I don't want to even walk into a RS to even see if the deals are any good. What sorta deal could that shit hole of a retailer offer.....stuff at the same price as the other retailers that actually know how to compete and offer reasonably priced products? No, their management is obviously too incompetent to pull that off.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Im hoping the LittleBits products they sell will be 50% off.

Good call, I need to check for those too. Specifically the synth kit.

Last edited:

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I'm really surpried they've stayed open as much as they have. I went in to check out some of components. bought some of those cell phone charging blocks for $10 apiece. Debating on whether to drop some money on the deluxe soldering kit. I'm debating on whether to spend money on a decent usb microphone. They had a bunch of blue and audio technica usb mics cheaper than online. Most of the heavy discounts are on the radioshack branded items while most of the name branded items are discounted only 20percent. Mind you looks like everthing was knocked up to msrp so youd probably find most items are cheaper on amazon or similar.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
A 20% discount is fucking stupid. Stores run 20% sales all the time. More proof that the executives behind RS have shit for brains. Not a single fuck will be given with the RS branded stuff....poorly made knockoff bullshit.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
One of the two we have here is already shut down. It was located in our local mall. The other is in a plaza a few miles down the road. I'm shocked that it was the one not closed yet, but the local mall is kind of doing awful so I guess I shouldn't be too shocked.

Radio Shack, at least here was basically "Cell Phone" shack for a long time, but when they became so common you can buy them at gas stations then it pretty much became Irrelevant Shack.

There are a lot of places I expect to see shutting down in the not too distant future. Around here at least.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Great sale if you need any universal power adapters. You can also get the component video distribution amps for dirt fucking cheap if they have them in stock.