Quick Dreamcast Question....

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Turned my dreamcast on tonight and for some reason its not loading anything at all... the disc spins, but then it stops and nothing happens. When I first turned it on, one of the memory cards started buzzing constantly, so i turned it on and off, and then i noticed it wouldn't load a thing.
When my Saturn died a little while ago, that turned out to be the cd drive, it blew up in a puff of smoke and wouldn't even come on, let alone load a game... Now, seeing as my DC is still spinning games, i'm starting to think that the cd drive is fine, but if so, whats wrong with it then?
If anyone has any ideas or info, it would be much appreciated :)

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Damn, nobody knows whats up? Looks like i'm gonna have to send it off to be repaired then :(

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
That's suprising. Sega systems are suppost to be among the most reliable of gaming consoles unlike the plaguestations. But na I don't know what's wrong. :/

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
I had a problem similar to that and could never figure it out so I sold it on ebay as non working, got like $35 for it and used that to buy a new one that has been trouble free for about 6 months.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
The same thing happened to mine, a couple of years ago.

Suddnely it worked properly again and it never had any problems since..

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Sounds bad. :( You might as well buy another one, to be honest; it will probably cost about the same as repairing. If your current DC starts working again, you'll have a backup unit.

The possibility of a CD drive ceasing to function (well, and the fact that I am obsessive compulsive ;)) is why I have three Dreamcasts, two Saturns (I want to buy a third, if I can find an almost new Japanese system for a good price), and had two NeoCDs (one of them died... it was the lense, I thought, although replacing the lense didn't fix the problem).

PolluxTroy said:
That's suprising. Sega systems are suppost to be among the most reliable of gaming consoles unlike the plaguestations. But na I don't know what's wrong. :/

That's so true! My PS1 is at death's door (has a tough time playing games, skips on redbook audio tracks and FMV), but I hardly ever use it. Still, I'm one of the lucky ones; It's a first generation purchased at launch and at least it (sortof) still works. Most of my friends had to replace their PS1 units within 12-24 months of light to normal use.

Freelancer

Banned
Exact same thing happened to my system, despite the fact that I cleaned it regularly and took great care of it. It just froze on me one day and upon rebooting it, wouldn't read discs anymore.

I bought a used DC at Gamestop to replace my dead one and paid only $30 which includes a 1 year warranty!

Parallax

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ok one suggestion.

Mine does this from time to time
I simply open it up remove the ribbon cable that connects the laser eye to the main board then reconnect it viola problem solved.
not sying this will deninitally fix yours but thougt I'd throw in how I fix mine.

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Parallax said:
Ok one suggestion.

I simply open it up remove the ribbon cable that connects the laser eye to the main board then reconnect it viola problem solved.
not sying this will deninitally fix yours but thougt I'd throw in how I fix mine.

Dude, Thanks a million!!! I just did exactly what you said, and its working again good as new! Next time your in leicester, drop me a line and i'll get you the beer you deserve fella! Thanks Again!

Herzog Drei

Ace Ghost Pilot
Parallax said:
Ok one suggestion.

THX for that advice!:)

Good to know if my unit makes problems one day...;)