Questions about replacing buttons, joysticks on my cab!

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
Ok so I started looking into how to replace buttons and whutnot and I found out some buttons are supposed to be soldered, others can be snapped in and voila? (just adjust the microswitches or quick disconnects?) What about the joystick?

Point is I want to replace my buttons and joystick from my panel. Seimitsu is like an american stick? Is sanwa better? Will sanwa even fit in my cab?

Anyways check out these pics so you have an idea of what my situation is. BTW my cab isn't an original neo, its a conversion from who knows what.

What kind of buttons will adjust easily to these kind :
button.jpg

Here are my Sticks:

joystick.jpg

sticks.jpg

Are sticks hard to replace? Anyone have a guide for this? What would be an appropriate stick for this cab?

I have so many questions, if anyone could help me out thanks!

Found these Semitsu buttons on ebay and they look ok, proble is I don't know if it will work for my cab or w/e.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6287898257&fromMakeTrack=true

or this set of sanwa buttons
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
If you want a perfect fit, then you would need to use Happ (American) parts. If you use Happ parts then it's just a matter of un-screwing and disconnecting. Just make sure you do one button at a time, and mark your quick disconnects with tape. Otherwise you will lose track of what you are doing and make a mess of it. So all you will be doing is swapping parts.

Sanwa can fit, but lots of moddification to the panel will be needed. Sanwa Sticks are smaller and shorter than American sticks. And the buttons are wider.

To fit Sanwa sticks will will need to use a router to make the thickness of the panel smaller. This is not an actual control panel, but you will get an idea of what I am talking about with these picks.
topempty.jpg

backempty.jpg

8.jpg

The button holes will need to be bigger, and if the plastic on your control panel isn't too thick...Then the Sanwa buttons should be able to snap right in.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
cool! Lets say I wanted to put in Happ parts, those are just snap and place the quick disconnects accordingly?

Looking at the joystick (underneath) how the hell do you wire everything correctly to a happ? Is the happ nearly the same thing, just placing the microswitches the same place?

Sorry guys, its just I really don't know ANYTHING about this stuff.

zapatistab

CarlosZ said:
cool! Lets say I wanted to put in Happ parts, those are just snap and place the quick disconnects accordingly?

Looking at the joystick (underneath) how the hell do you wire everything correctly to a happ? Is the happ nearly the same thing, just placing the microswitches the same place?

Sorry guys, its just I really don't know ANYTHING about this stuff.

Yes, all you need to do is put the quick disconnects in the same place.

And yes, as far as the joystick goes, you can just replace the microswitches. If you like the feel of your joystick and don't want new ones, then replacing the microswithces is the way to go.

It's alot easier than you think, just as long as you don't switch any wires.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
Yea im going to order some happ parts, competition buttons and what about the stick?

Competition or Ultimate?

zapatistab

CarlosZ said:
Yea im going to order some happ parts, competition buttons and what about the stick?

Competition or Ultimate?

Competition...stay away from Ultimates. They are really bad.

spotlanx

n00b
zapatistab said:
Sanwa can fit, but lots of moddification to the panel will be needed. Sanwa Sticks are smaller and shorter than American sticks. And the buttons are wider.

To fit Sanwa sticks will will need to use a router to make the thickness of the panel smaller. This is not an actual control panel, but you will get an idea of what I am talking about with these picks.

The button holes will need to be bigger, and if the plastic on your control panel isn't too thick...Then the Sanwa buttons should be able to snap right in.

if thats your stick there, could you share some dimensions please??
as in how thick will the buttons go?? (wood or wood/plastic etc)
and whats a good depth for the sticks??
also how did you get the little cuts for the snap in tabs??

thanks!!

zapatistab

spotlanx said:
if thats your stick there, could you share some dimensions please??
as in how thick will the buttons go?? (wood or wood/plastic etc)
and whats a good depth for the sticks??
also how did you get the little cuts for the snap in tabs??

thanks!!

Sorry thats not my work. I do know it was done with a proffessional router machine. I will look for the dimensions, I may have them on file. You can also check out the Shoryuken.com tech forums. There are tons of stick builders there, and most of them are Sanwa fanboys. They will be able to answer your questions alot faster than I can. I never keep dimensions when I put together a stick. Sorry.

The stick in the pic eventually got a piece of Plastic Plexi. The Sanwa buttons snap on to the plastic plexi.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Competition buttons/sticks are where its at!

You deffinatley want to get hooked up with the comp. buttons from happ. I just started building my mvs systems harness, and a controller, and I am using happs competition push buttons, and sticks, because they are an orgasm at the fingertips!

I have about 24 competition push buttons from multiple arcade projects! They work great, and they can me soldiered sorry i cant spell, or they can be attached with the quick snaps. Since your controll pannel is already wired it will take you like 20 minutes tops. as if your controll pannel is the one displayed at the begining of this topic!

Happy Happing man!

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
Oh man that was wayyy too easy lol. Shit, I even did it drunk :chimp:

DSC04313.jpg

Now onto another question, I just got a HRAP recently (japanese buttons and joystick) and to be honest I liked it more! I would like to put a seimitsu LS-32 Stick on this cab, is it possible? And how would I do it? Same thing? Put in new quick disconnects or w/e?

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Well, the answer to your question is notoriouse.

You can hope for it to work via: quick connect, but there is no guarentee that the sticks, and or buttons will fit your original cab. If you really want to use those buttons, and they dont fit, you will need to make a new controll panell. Consider a nice saturday thru sunday project, that can get pricy$$$, depending on if you still want the original mvs big read controller layout. You can buy those online, but the cheapest Ive seen is 45 bucks... Im going to order one myself. If you can post picture of your controlls, I can right away tell you weather or not You will be able to replace them with the crimped wires (quick connect). I hope this helps! And one more thing, when you post the pictures, and if they don't work, I can show you a totourial, or I could build it myself. "One of my favorite Neo-Projects."

-Post back
idosk8