Question on video connection for AES

cabear

n00b
I just sent my AES out to Neotropolis to get modded for the unibios and stereo sound. I also opted for the s-video upgrade but am now rethinking this decision.

I'm playing my AES on a 52 inch hitachi rear projection hdtv and it has an s-video input, but what if my next tv doesn't? i don't want to have one tv for my NG and another for my ps3.

I also don't want to spend a lot modding the AES itself to component out.

I then found this link, http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=420

since the NG and the genesis 1 share the same pinout, would this be an acceptable alternative? i found some threads here but nothing on someone using this method and having success with it.

any thoughts? should i just go ahead and go for the s-video?

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
Well, you could probably get component out for as much as your paying now if you get it done via one of the forums other modders. KPJ, aka neotropolis, is a hot button guy, most members here dislike him for his incredibly high prices. Jmkurtz, a moderator here, or Xian Xi are great alternatives who can give you a much better deal.

TurboCro

AESwipe,
I'm playing my AES on a 52 inch hitachi rear projection hdtv and it has an s-video input, but what if my next tv doesn't? i don't want to have one tv for my NG and another for my ps3.

I also don't want to spend a lot modding the AES itself to component out.

How's the lag on that btw? Rear projections are supposed to be the "laggiest" of the HDTVs.

cabear

n00b
hmm, i found the prices pretty fair for what i wanted to do. we'll see i suppose. even i just choose to go for the unibios and stereo sound it's still cheaper then finding someone here in fresno.

i've never noticed any lag whatsoever on my xbox 360 when i had it, nor do i notice any on my ps3 or AES. that's weird, i'd never heard that before.

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
No, they are not fair. He charges a heck of a lot more than anyone else.

A CMS just sold in the market forums for like $300. KPJ asks above and beyond the $500 dollar mark. He does nothing new, nothing revolutionary, just the same as everyone else, for more money. I would seriously inquire if I were you, and get it done somewhere else.

How much is he charging you for something as simple as unibios and stereo?

cabear

n00b
80 bucks. even with shipping it's cheaper then around here. Admittedly i didn't do too much research into the different people offering services.

to do this locally, tt'd cost me 150 as the few who knew what they were doing wanted way more. those who wanted less didn't seem too sure of what to do, even with diagrams.

Right now i'm leaning heavily towards the scart to component converter, seems like it'd be the best thing to do and i could use it for my saturn too.

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
Wow. That's a lot no matter who's quoting you. The bios is not too hard, you just de-solder it. I bet quite a few TV repair shops or something could de-solder it for you no problem, and throw in a socket. You can even just piggy back the chip and throw it on top, although some people mess that up.

Regardless of your choice with that, the RGB that comes out the port is rather nice, but you should perform the RGB bypass mod, which is really simple, you just cut some traces. I use one of those converters basically, I just crammed a NEOBITZ and a Sync Cleaner in a box. Works great, I would recommend it.

cabear

n00b
cool thanks for the reply! i'm def going to look into the RGB to component stuff. if it works for the genesis it should work for the neo!

cutting traces? hmm...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You shouldn't be cutting any traces for the RGB bypass mod, just removing components and making new connections. Unless you are talking about a rev 3-6 and are cutting the 3 RGB lines that introduce interference in the video.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Spazmonkey, no sync cleaner is necessary for the Neo. Xian Xi says it can change the screen position.

cabear, yeah you may want to get the component added to the mod, and make sure kpj is doing the bypass properly if you have the 3-6 board.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the AES you do need a sync cleaner, MVS you don't usually but the AES has a very dirty sync from the AV port.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the Saturn don't you need to add a cap and resistor to the RGB lines?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Not being that much of a tech guy, I don't know. At least I already have s-vid cables for the Saturn. So your thought is probably correct Xian!

That's why I was waiting for the Mega Drive scarts to show up. I'll test my Home System as well as my Genesis 1,2 & CDX.

This could be a nice simple alternative for the Genesis/Nintendo but for the Neo, I'm sure a modded Home System with a sync cleaner would be better.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
For the AES you do need a sync cleaner, MVS you don't usually but the AES has a very dirty sync from the AV port.
Is that for all AES models? I was under the impression it's the same as the MVS. Still can't imagine needing a cleaner for a home console.

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
It just cleans it up like it's name implies. It's not unusable without, but it certainly looks nicer with one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It just cleans it up like it's name implies. It's not unusable without, but it certainly looks nicer with one.
Good to know. My supergun has the cleaner applied at all times, so I hope it doesn't fuck up the picture too much. I suppose I'd notice if it made a big difference.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For all AES systems. If you install the encoder internally then you don't need one but if you use the signals from the AV socket without a bypass mod then you need a sync cleaner. Otherwise you get a really screwy picture.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
My AES is even funnier about it. I use the Neo Bitz component video model. Without the sync cleaner the picture rolls. With the sync cleaner the screen scrambles. With a 0.1 uf ceramic cap on the sync input, it works 100%. This is on a Sony Wega Trinitron or any other STDV. The S-video and composite worked fine no matter what method I used. My system is an older model with the nicer looking daughter board.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i feel it should be they since companies are a group of ppl

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
First off, that's totally a spambot post, lately they have been making random off topic posts to gain privileges to post spam threads or something. Also, for the company question, the proper answer is it, since a company is a single object, not a group of companies, which would be plural.