Question: If a Neo-Geo CD can play CD-R, can you burn mvs or aes roms to it?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
NGCD is similar to the AES right, so has anyone tried burning a AES rom to a CD-R and seeing if the NGCD will load it?

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
NGCD is similar to the AES right, so has anyone tried burning a AES rom to a CD-R and seeing if the NGCD will load it?

You've done it! You've cracked the code!

The illuminati will be furious.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This dude has gotta be trolling us.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

That's fucking brillant! You should try burning those AES roms on your CD-Rs with your propane torch while you're at it. Maximum success guaranteed!!!

CGaWaWk.gif

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Serious answer: No

But you gotta be TRooooooolin'

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
That's a whole new level of stupid :lolz:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
CDR's will damage your NGCD over time.Can you imagine what AES roms on CDR's will do?
BB

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
That's a whole new level of stupid :lolz:

Why the fuck is this a stupid question? The system uses the same CPU and co-processor, I can't find out what video processor they used for it, but would SNK really have used a different chipset there?

The only thing I can think of that would prevent it is, if the CD mapped the data differently then the AES does, and RAM/memory issues.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
NGCDs have dedicated RAM chips (7 or 11 MB, iirc) where the data from CD gets loaded into while homecart and MVS systems directly access the data on the PCB roms ("blast processing"). That's why a) you can't just put the contents of the roms on a CD-R because the NGCD won't recognize it, and b) it's the reason why the games that came out in the later Neo years got no CD counterpart, the amount of data that has to be processed at the same time is just too big to load in in the NGCD memory. The last big game that got a CD release was Last Blade 2 and it loads a lot, now imagine the loading times of Slug 3 on NGCD...

EDIT:

Time for the ol' linky: http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Neo_geo_cd_faq :)

Moved.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
If you study up on the Neo Geo CD file structure and memory mapping and know how to code then I think it would be relatively straightforward to convert a ROM dump of a cart game to the CD format-especially with the early games that fit entirely into the CD system's memory. That's pretty much what NCI did with their "licensed" printing of Andro Dunos.

Relevant Dev info here: https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Category:CD_systems

No way you can just burn straight ROMs on the disc and have it work though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Celty boy here is a bit slow guys, cut him some slack. ^

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
They see me postin' they hatin' I'm trollin' and tryna show you that I'm worthy

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
You can also burn snes and genesis roms and they will play on Neo CD. I know because I fucking did it.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
NGCDs have dedicated RAM chips (7 or 11 MB, iirc) where the data from CD gets loaded into while homecart and MVS systems directly access the data on the PCB roms ("blast processing"). That's why a) you can't just put the contents of the roms on a CD-R because the NGCD won't recognize it, and b) it's the reason why the games that came out in the later Neo years got no CD counterpart, the amount of data that has to be processed at the same time is just too big to load in in the NGCD memory. The last big game that got a CD release was Last Blade 2 and it loads a lot, now imagine the loading times of Slug 3 on NGCD...

EDIT:

Time for the ol' linky: http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Neo_geo_cd_faq :)

Moved.

If you study up on the Neo Geo CD file structure and memory mapping and know how to code then I think it would be relatively straightforward to convert a ROM dump of a cart game to the CD format-especially with the early games that fit entirely into the CD system's memory. That's pretty much what NCI did with their "licensed" printing of Andro Dunos.

Relevant Dev info here: https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Category:CD_systems

No way you can just burn straight ROMs on the disc and have it work though.

Thanks, This is exactly what I was asking for. :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
They have rap music in Deutchland don't they?
They do have an education system to prevent idiots like yourself in the USA, don't they?
Alternatively they do have baseball bats to beat the living shit out of the fucks like you in Murica, right?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They do have an education system to prevent idiots like yourself in the USA, don't they?

They know what the problem is, they just don't want to do anything about it.

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
Alternatively they do have baseball bats to beat the living shit out of the fucks like you in Murica, right?

You're like the muppet mascot on this forum. It's pretty entertaining. You and Colorado Rookie take turns putting your hands up each other's ass?
You marketplace rent a cop haha

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Don't get jealous, you're practically part of the club already...lol.