Question about Neo CD Pad

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I just got one in the mail for my AES and so far I'm not liking it. My issues may be because it's broken. While playing it's very difficult to do a low block in fighting games and when trying to pull off moves it does not seem to register very well.

I ran a test on the controller and all points seem to register just fine. But, when I want to press down left or down right I can't just put it in the corner. I have to press down and then slide over to the left or right for it to register.

Is this normal or is my pad most likely defective/broken?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I had similar problems with my NeoCD pads when I first got my system years ago. I found taking them apart and cleaning out the thumbstick area (there was a TON of worn down plastic dust in there, not unlike a well worn out N64 analog stick. Can of air and toothbrush did the trick just fine) That helped a lot. This will help you a lot with the disassembly: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snk-neo-geo-cd-pad-d-pad-repair/
They're still not as precise as my sticks, so I don't actually use them for fighters or even sidescrollers, but I do enjoy them for Super Sidekicks and shmups.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Thank you for the reply. I will give that a go.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Btw James has a video on Youtube (under Supreme Judge), that shows you how to clean the CD pad (if your not replacing the micro switch's).

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah, it was awfully messy in there. But... it didn't change. I guess it's just not made for fighting games. I was hoping that it was going to be as good as the NGP/C thumbsticks. Alas... it is not :(

I don't think it's the micro switches because they seem to be alright... I just cannot make contact to the corners very well. It's strange because I can pull off things like Ryo's Super move, but a simple down back to block does not work very often.

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Hm, Maybe hit up Xian Xi, he might be able to offer some troubleshooting solutions! Also, Xian's repair guide that alsmoneo mentioned;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6op4TMn4mA&list=FLYxqK2DhzEDhU9qexKxX7KQ&index=1

I guess it's just not made for fighting games. I was hoping that it was going to be as good as the NGP/C thumbsticks. Alas... it is not :(

That's generally been my thoughts on the Pads, hence why I never use them for fighters! Honestly, I don't think anything could ever be as good as the NGP/C thumbsticks, IMHO those are still the best handheld sticks ever made.

Last edited:

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
+ 1 Dan, thanks for finding the link.. hehe no youtube access from work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There's 2 different versions of the NeoCD pad. This was discovered by I think Coligion. SNK used two different sets of actuators in the NeoCD pad. One of them creates a square gate type feel and the other is a "cornerless" one.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
There's 2 different versions of the NeoCD pad. This was discovered by I think Coligion. SNK used two different sets of actuators in the NeoCD pad. One of them creates a square gate type feel and the other is a "cornerless" one.

So then, the cornerless one more akin to a D-Pad? Is there a comparison pic of both versions innards? I'd be very interested in this!

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
That did it! Thanks Danthor for showing me that video and thank you to James for posting the video. It works like a charm now. Still not as good as the NGP sticks, but still rather nice. There was so much corrosion on the contacts of the microswitches, no wonder it wasn't working very well.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Fantastic! Well, not the Corrosion, that's not fantastic, but glad you got it working!