Question about Neo CD (First Post)

ZForceFFC

n00b
I've always wanted to own some sort of Neo Geo system, since I already own pretty much every other system, and the Neo is the one system that has escaped me over the years. However, I don't want to spend a ton of cash on the system (since I don't exactly have a ton of cash to be spending) So for me the AES is pretty much out, since getting games for it would be prohibitly expensive for me, and I can't afford both an AES and an MVS Convertor. I'm content with playing the newer Neo Geo games on other consoles (I have pretty much every KOF on either Saturn or Dreamcast except for 94 and 95, and most of the other newer SNK Fighters on Saturn or Dreamcast as well) Mostly, I want to be able to play the older stuff (i.e. Magician Lord, Samurai Showdown 2, etc.)

With that being said, would the Neo Geo CD be a decent purchase for me? I know the load times can be bad, but that's something I'm willing to put up with. Also, how reliable in general are the CD systems (regular or CDZ) Do they tend to break after a while, or will they generally last a while assuming they're well taken care of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
Hi, I think I can help you here.:) I own a Neogeo Home Cart system and a Top-loader Neogeo CD.

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the NGH or MVS, then the Neogeo CD is an excellent replacement.

Also, if your into Samurai Shodown 5, SNK vs. Capcom: Chaos, Metal Slug 4 and 5, and KOF 2002, they are all coming to the Xbox.:)

The Neogeo CD does have somewhat negative load times for later games. Generally, KOF 99, The Last Blade, and The Last Blade 2 are going to be the worst. With those three games, you might just consider them practically unplayable.

However, the Neogeo CD also has a lot of other things to offer.

a. All the old games like Magical Drop 2, Bust-a-Move, KOF 94, even Samurai Shodown 4 really, have minimal loads.

b. It comes, out of box (no mods necessary), with S-video input and Stereo sound.

c. It is compatible with all old style sticks, new style sticks, and Cd pad controllers.

d. It is very inexpensive. The games are anywhere from $15-$100 dollars a piece (most being about $15-$30), and the systems run about $100-$200 dollars.

e. An extremely reputable seller named Bluevoodu has opened a store called http://www.egameaddiction.com. He currently stocks over 3,000 neogeo CD titles (as far as I understand it), but only a small fraction are currently listed on his website. You can e-mail him for further inquiries at sales@egameaddiction.com.

This is extremely good because Bluevoodu has just about every game on CD including the Real Bout Fatal Fury's, The Last Blade's, The King of Fighter's, Magical Drop, and so on.

Most of us online usually have an MVS and an NGH or an NGCD and a NGH. The NGH titles are just too expensive to not find another alterative in some form.

I believe that if you decide to pick up a NGCD system, you will be most satisfied.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Welcome to the boards. Let me be the first of many to suggest an MVS set up. With a supergun or consolized MVS, you can play the system on your tv with real Neo controlers. Also, except for newer releases, the MVS games generally run from around $25-$50 or so.

As for Neo CD, you're better off waiting for someone really knowledgable, like Takumaji, to tell you about it. From my limited experience playing on them, I can tell you that loading is not a problem on older games. And the game prices can be ridiculously cheap. I'd say look around for the games you're interested in. Magician Lord for example, may be easier to find on MVS than CD. But If you are lokking for games from the SS2 and older era, and can find the ones you want on CD from a reliable seller, I'd say go for it. As for CD system reliability, I've played on them but never owned them, so my suggestion would be to do a search on that topic, within the "24-Bit" section, where most of our Neo CD talk happens. I can remember a few threads on this within the last half year or so. Best of luck on your future purchase.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Build a consolized MVS if you have the nohow. It will cost about as much as a lower end AES to do if you do it yourself and will let you play all the cheap MVS carts! :D And no load times...

ZForceFFC

n00b
Thanks for the advice guys. Mystic flame pointed out where I could get a Neo CD system for $65 (at Japangamesnow) so I wound up ordering that for now. Maybe in the future I'll get an AES or MVS, but for now, I'm excited with this :multi_co:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
ZForceFFC said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Mystic flame pointed out where I could get a Neo CD system for $65 (at Japangamesnow) so I wound up ordering that for now. Maybe in the future I'll get an AES or MVS, but for now, I'm excited with this :multi_co:

Damn, I noticed that today and was gonna order it for myself monday :blow_top:

Oh well, congrads on the Neo CD, :)

Baseley09

Hair Group,
The games you pointed out, Magician Lord & Samurai Spirits 2 are examples of classic and mainly cheap AES titles, great starter packages if you werre.

However, Sam Sho 2 on the CD blows AES out of the water in terms of sounds, the soundtrack is magnificent, if you want classic, CD will rawk your house!!

ZForceFFC

n00b
Abasuto, they had another Neo CD listed for $75, although I dunno if it's still there. The $75 one didn't have the problem with the spring that the one I ordered does

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
ZForceFFC said:
Abasuto, they had another Neo CD listed for $75, although I dunno if it's still there. The $75 one didn't have the problem with the spring that the one I ordered does

Cool, just checked and noticed that one. Now I'm torn, get the NeoCD or another AES cart :oh_no:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
winter said:
I would get another AES cart, but that is just me.

I thought you left for the gameaddiction forums?

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
I do not wish to use up another thread discussing it. If you want, you can PM me Xtoo_short.:)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Mystic_flame said:
What cart are you thinking about getting?

I know I want SS2 and my first KoF game, still debating which one to get first, odds are either 96' or 98', but I also wanna get a few non-fighting titles, like magician lord and Nam-75. My prefered game is MS3, but my wallet can't afford that hit yet.
:D

Mystic_flame

Zero's Tailor
Abasuto said:
I know I want SS2 and my first KoF game, still debating which one to get first, odds are either 96' or 98', but I also wanna get a few non-fighting titles, like magician lord and Nam-75. My prefered game is MS3, but my wallet can't afford that hit yet.
:D

SS2 is a really common game. Its a great game, but I would recommend getting a higher end game first like the KOF series. Somehow I think 98 is getting hot again. 96 is fairly cheep because its more common.

Magician lord is an excellent game. It was one of the first games I played on the NG. Nam-75 is really like Cabal. That game gave me a headache.

When it comes down to it I would say get 98 first. The other games are a little cheeper and more readily available.

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
I agree with Mystic Flame. Magician Lord and SS2 are both exceptional games to have on the shelf, but you will eventually be hungering for a higher end and more complex games.

Go with KOF 98.:)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
winter said:
I agree with Mystic Flame. Magician Lord and SS2 are both exceptional games to have on the shelf, but you will eventually be hungering for a higher end and more complex games.

Go with KOF 98.:)

Peer Pressure :D

Well, I've gotta get magician lord next. Back in the day that game use to steal all my quarters in the arcade. Then I found a local game store that rented out the AES, so I rented it with ML for a weekend. Only managed to make it to the 4th stage during that weekend of constantly losing my temper and going into cussing fits. Simply put, that game ruined my childhood :mad: Now that I finaly own an AES, I'm gonna finish that game.
But after that, it'll be KoF98' :cool:

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
Cool, cool. I got my copy of Magician Lord from the Neostore, and it is a great deal. It comes sealed and pristine. Enjoy!

:)

Abasuto said:
Peer Pressure :D

Well, I've gotta get magician lord next. Back in the day that game use to steal all my quarters in the arcade. Then I found a local game store that rented out the AES, so I rented it with ML for a weekend. Only managed to make it to the 4th stage during that weekend of constantly losing my temper and going into cussing fits. Simply put, that game ruined my childhood :mad: Now that I finaly own an AES, I'm gonna finish that game.
But after that, it'll be KoF98' :cool:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
You can get a Dreamcast and KOF Dream match 99 (which is KOF 98) for less than the cost of a neo cd and KOF 98 on Neo CD. Actually it's about the same price as KOF 98 on the Neo CD.

I bought the $75 from Japangames this morning btw. :)

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
I do not recommend getting KOF 98 on CD. I got KOF 97 on CD purely for the novelty of it. The load times between rounds are just too much. It makes 3 on 3 unplayable.

Get the cart. You will thank yourself later.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
winter said:
I do not recommend getting KOF 98 on CD. I got KOF 97 on CD purely for the novelty of it. The load times between rounds are just too much. It makes 3 on 3 unplayable.

Get the cart. You will thank yourself later.

Well here's the thing...

I didn't have the Neo CD, but I have a few Neo CD games. I play them on the emulator on the PC. There's like 2 seconds of loading between rounds. The AST for that game is awesome. It's worth it to get the game, but to actually play it on the Neo CD kind of stinks.