question about AES snap-lock cases.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Well, my snap-lock case for KOF99 JPN AES is a bit messed up, so I want to get another one.

Now, SS3 also has a snap-lock case, but with different plastic for the insert.

Now, my question is, which games use the newer snap-lock cases? Is KOF96 one of them, or is that the same as SS3?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That's a hard call. I know what you are referring too. The plastic on the classic stuff is sturdier. Cases have been swapped over the years. Try a JPN RBFF.
-BB

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Dreamer said:
Well, my snap-lock case for KOF99 JPN AES is a bit messed up, so I want to get another one.

Now, SS3 also has a snap-lock case, but with different plastic for the insert.

Now, my question is, which games use the newer snap-lock cases? Is KOF96 one of them, or is that the same as SS3?
Getting new snaplocks is a chore in itself!!....the early ones were better as the clear plastic seemed to be tighter on the insert 'snug' & they had a mottled matt effect rather than the new shiny ones....good in the sense that they made tattier inserts look better!.
Btw....kof 99 had a satin case....96 ?

Last edited:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Yep, they made the switch sometime in '96, and KoF '96 is one of them with the newer box. RBFF has the older matte sleeve, as does SSIII. There's a list of these but I'm too lazy to dig up the URL.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Yeah , I kinda suspected this because I have a KOF 97' in the new case and I had a KOF '96 in the old case but due to what i believe,people switching cases I've come across JPN RBFF's in the newer style case exclusively so my suggestion was more like a favorable gamble. :D rather than the sound and accurate info you consistently provide.
-BB

Neo Bomber Man said:
Yep, they made the switch sometime in '96, and KoF '96 is one of them with the newer box. RBFF has the older matte sleeve, as does SSIII. There's a list of these but I'm too lazy to dig up the URL.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
BIG BEAR said:
Yeah , I kinda suspected this because I have a KOF 97' in the new case and I had a KOF '96 in the old case but due to what i believe,people switching cases I've come across JPN RBFF's in the newer style case exclusively so my suggestion was more like a favorable gamble. :D rather than the sound and accurate info you consistently provide.
-BB
Switching switchers!!!...my KOF97 is in the old matt case & my KOF96 is in the new 'shiny' case!!! heh he.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Neo Bomber Man said:

Off the top of my head:

FF3
SW3
KOF'95
Kabuki Klash

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I actually prefer the older sleeves, harder to get scratched, however, you have to store in the milder temp condition else they'll get wrinkled up like crazy, it'll drive some people razy.

As for which games come with older sleeve covers, all 95 games from Fatal Fury 3 to RBFF in early 96, after that nearly all games use shiney covers, however I've seen new games from SNK released after RBFF with older, rough sleeves, like

KOF 97 US
Ninja Masters Jp

There're also games with shiney sleeves that came before RBFF, I have seen one US Fatal Fury 3 with such.