Q: about Yoga mats & footwear

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Been a donkey's age since I've posted, but I know that if Google's not coughin' up an answer in a few minutes, the neo-geo forums are the place to ask.

Wondering if y'all might be able to make some recommendations for footwear brands / types that'll work & play nice with yoga mats without chewin' up the surface too quickly.

I know we've had a number of fitness / weight-loss threads here over the years, so hopefully a few of you may be able to offer some insight.

I'm in the market for some new workout footwear. Been enjoying P90X for some time now, including the Yoga workout video. I've noticed that my various athletic shoes tend to tear up the cheapo K-mart yoga mat I've been using. Last week I invested in 2 new large yoga mats for my workout space, and I'd like 'em to last as long as possible.

Step 1: get new footwear that never leaves the house and is only ever used during workouts.
Step 2: make sure that footwear has soles that play nice with yoga mat material (so, less emphasis on jagged treads / traction features).

Many thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide. Cheers! :buttrock:

--Chris

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
In a nutshell, yoga mats are not meant to be stepped on with shoes. Typically athletic shoes have harsh threads underneath the sole to grip, and that's murder on those mats. Ideally you would be barefoot or with socks.

Now, I know P90X has their plyo class that requires a ton of jumping and moving, so shoes are a must.

Maybe seeing if you can either get a pair of shoes similar to Nike Freerunners with foam soles or wrestling shoes and making sure they stay inside would help or getting a wrestling mat thickness for a mat, but only a section to pop down. Wrestling shoes are designed to not tear up the wrestling mats,and they aren't too expensive. Asics makes a good one for around $50

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Nike Roshe Ones AKA Roshe Runs. The treads are rounded blocks instead of actual treads, so they probably won't rip the yoga matte. They're very lightweight - the only inflexible parts are the sole and heel.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Men doing yoga? What sort of slack jawed faggot shit is this?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Men doing yoga? What sort of slack jawed faggot shit is this?

Men *been* doing yoga, ya poof:
b0394eaff1df8818e75cc53f1551083c.jpg

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
jovanni_crow.jpg

Does that look like someone who is going to...oh wait it does. Good workout though.

Edit** looks kind of like that one crochetrocquet guy?

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I can’t plank barefoot without pulling a muscle in my feet. If I am stretching, I keep my feet off the mat and on the floor, while using the mat for my back, knees, etc.