Puzzle Bobble MVS Distorted Sound

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Hi

Im using a almost brand new MV-1C and a Aero City , Problem is my Puzzle Bobble cart has some distorted sound on loud parts , usually when bubbles burst , Is this normal ?

Thanks

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Did you clean the connectors of the cart? If yes, did you try to clean the cart PCBs?

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Hi

Yes , 1st time i booted it i had slight graphic errors so cleaned the connectors , that sorted the graphics but the sound is still distorted , How should i clean the PCB? Thanks

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Still having this problem , its very strange - I thought it was a dodgy Puzzle Bobble cart so i bought another one , Exactly the same problem , Distortion / Sound drops out after a while ? I tried Metal Slug 3 last night for about an hour and it seems completely fine ? Very strange

Anyone got any ideas

Thanks

Asure

Captain Dick,
I've seen this exact distortion on several bootleg pb's that i came across during my days, but no idea how to fix it :(

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I've seen this exact distortion on several bootleg pb's that i came across during my days, but no idea how to fix it :(
Not trying to be a jerk, but the solution seems apparent in this case. Has the OP confirmed it to be a genuine PB?

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Hmm actually ive just reopened the carts , one does look like a boot , The other looks original

CIMG0911_zps7e877a64.jpg

CIMG0912_zps42a792d5.jpg

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Yeah ive tried that , didnt work - I cleaned the chips inside with a Q tip and Electra clean but it still didnt work - Very puzzled (no pun)

Born Full Grown

Collects conversions. Can't seem to prove otherwis
Thats a real one, its not a bootleg.

You could get a couple 27C800s and redo the V ROMs, or at least verify what is in there, if you get a verify error, try verifying V3 against the MAME V4 file and vise versa.

EDIT: before you do the above, verify the M1 ROM, cause it could be that one... Even try burning a new one and droping it in cause it may verify fine.... At least its a UV EPROM so you can wipe it and re-write it.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Thats a real one, its not a bootleg.

You could get a couple 27C800s and redo the V ROMs, or at least verify what is in there, if you get a verify error, try verifying V3 against the MAME V4 file and vise versa.

EDIT: before you do the above, verify the M1 ROM, cause it could be that one... Even try burning a new one and droping it in cause it may verify fine.... At least its a UV EPROM so you can wipe it and re-write it.

He said this is happening on two different Puzzle Bobble carts, though. First thing to try would be to clear backup/work RAM on your Neo. See if there is something weird in memory that is causing this. Turn off your Neo and flip all of the dip-switches ON. Turn on your Neo and you'll see a message on the screen that reads WORK RAM TEST. Leave the Neo on for about 15-30 seconds, then turn it off again and toggle all of the dip-switches off (or only number 7 on, if you have it set to free play). Try your PB cart again and see if it helped.

Second thing to try is using DeOxit on the contacts of the game. OK, that's another fix that assumes this is a cart error, but it's worth a try and this stuff is great to have around anyway if you're dealing with old carts that could use a good cleaning. You can get DeOxit at Amazon, and it seems pricey but this stuff goes a long way and I've cleaned dozens of games with my current bottle and it's still half full. I recommend this applicator, but really any will do... I just found the others make a bit of a mess. Just squirt on the Deoxit right on the contacts and then rub them until they're dry with a cotton-swab. You'll probably have to do this a few times to get off all of the corrosion. Work slowly, working on one side of each edge at a time and move on when you're getting nothing but red on your cotton swab. I've used this stuff on really stubborn games that took forever to seat correctly and it fixes them like new. If it is a connectivity issue at the pins, DeOxit will fix it. The other nice side effect/benefit is DeOxit leaves a little residue on your carts to help protect them and increase connectivity. This also slowly cleans your Neo Geo slots as you change out games. ;) You can go in there and clean the slots as well, but I find that to be a lot more difficult. If your slot(s) are dirty, you are probably better off cleaning them with a nice high quality contact cleaner.

If neither of the above work, you've got something else going on. I still say it's not the cart if you have two doing the same thing, but it could be the sound caps in your Neo starting to die. Easy enough to fix, but takes a bit of soldering work. Anyway, that should get you heading in the right direction before you start removing chips from a legit PB board. We certainly don't want to go screwing up legit PB carts if we can help it... They're rare enough as is.

Last edited:

Born Full Grown

Collects conversions. Can't seem to prove otherwis
Its not the caps.... If it was it wouldnt do this, and it would do it with every game.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Its not the caps.... If it was it wouldnt do this, and it would do it with every game.

Probably not, but I have a Neo Geo that will only have sound problems after it warms up. When you turn it on from cold there are no issues at all, but after five to ten minutes it will develop scratchy sounds only in certain samples/portions of games. Samurai Shodown 4 seems to trigger it on specific levels. Every thing else seems fine, but some samples drop out from other games. Basically, it could be happening with other carts and he just isn't picking up on it ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Probably not, but I have a Neo Geo that will only have sound problems after it warms up. When you turn it on from cold there are no issues at all, but after five to ten minutes it will develop scratchy sounds only in certain samples/portions of games. Samurai Shodown 4 seems to trigger it on specific levels. Every thing else seems fine, but some samples drop out from other games. Basically, it could be happening with other carts and he just isn't picking up on it ;)

Most likely a thermal issue with the YM2610, starting to fail internally.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Most likely a thermal issue with the YM2610, starting to fail internally.

Hmm, this board may get a flight to Hawaii in the future. It's a great 4 slot otherwise, but this sound issue is a pain. Caps have already been replaced on it, so your diagnosis makes a lot of sense. I'm back on a 2 slot at the moment because the sound issues were driving me batty on this 4.

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Ill try cleaning it again but maybe theres something wrong with my mobo :( - its brand new but this is the first time ive got round to using it after about 4/5yrs