PSP Releases in Japan at 19800 Yen ($185 US!!)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Battery life isn't the issue it was because batteries today are rechargeable.

Belive me tho.... The battery life issue had a hand in killing the Gamegear. This is not revisionist. YOu gotta remember that back then, these systems were played mostly by the 18 and under cround. Parents usualy had to buy batteries and systems, not kids. Of course with rechargeable lithium it's not the issue it once was.

BUT DO BELEIVE THIS:
Battery life is JUST a big of an issue today as it ever was. REmember that Nintendo did not backlight the gba screen originaly because of Battery Life concerns.

If a game has to constantly be charged, It makes it NO FUN.. And word does get out quickly.

buster_broon

The Rock,
still sticking with my ds pre-order as well

waiting to see what the PSP has to offer at around 3 months after release

all the games i want to play are on the ds, dont get me wrong the PSP games look amazing especially ridge racer but the ds is the choice for me

well i am just a fanbois anyway

funny how the portable war is already over and its not even been released

maybe i'm not the only fanbois here :p :p :p :p :p :p

buster_broon

The Rock,
chimpmeister said:
Well if by hatred you mean dislike for poor quality products (which every Nintendo handheld has been), then sure. I just call them as I see them. I actually bought a GBA and was excited about all the old-school 2D games being ported to it, but the dim crappy screen and lousy d-pad ruined it completely for me, and I sold the lot.

shame really as i prefer to play my gba sp over my neo geo

the gba sp is a cracking little console and i could easily name 20 or more games that are totally amazing on it

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
buster_broon said:
funny how the portable war is already over and its not even been released

maybe i'm not the only fanbois here :p :p :p :p :p :p

Seconded. Incredible how only people that buy Nintendo hardware and software are considered fanboys. :shame:

Pocket PC's with integrated WiFi will use up the battery about 20-40% faster, depending on the radio they use.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
buster_broon said:
shame really as i prefer to play my gba sp over my neo geo

the gba sp is a cracking little console and i could easily name 20 or more games that are totally amazing on it

The games are good, but the SP itself SUCKS. The screen is washed out with dull, weak colors (and tiny), the dpad will RUIN your left thumb (horrible for action games, which are my favorite types), and the overall feel of the system is too small. Notice that both the DS and PSP are larger and probably a lot more comfortable to use? Notice that they are more in the size range (a bit bigger) than the original GBA? For good reason, even Nintendo realizes that the GBASP is too freaking small and cheesy for most adults (fine for little kids of course). Overall the hardware is really poor, which is why I'm so glad to see a real competitor on the market now. I'm not a "Sony Fanboy", but I do think that Nintendo has gotten away with release crap products for long enough, and their time as leaders in this market is finally coming to an end, thankfully. And its tiresome to hear the diehard Nintendo people harp on and on about how great their products are, when they aren't . . . they ruled the market by default but that is finally ending (soon). :D

buster_broon

The Rock,
chimpmeister said:
but I do think that Nintendo has gotten away with release crap products for long enough, and their time as leaders in this market is finally coming to an end, thankfully. And its tiresome to hear the diehard Nintendo people harp on and on about how great their products are, when they aren't . . . they ruled the market by default but that is finally ending (soon). :D

totally disagree my friend

sure they release far too many 'special' editions but the gba sp is a marvel to use and its perfect

i'm not a small guy and i dont have any problems using the gba sp, maybe people with opposable thumbs find it easier </sarcasm>

i will buy both in the long run - just the same way i buy everthing else, just cant understand your absolute hatred for Nintendo and everything they produce even if it was the best game in the world you would still find flaws in it to call it awful

but it would be funny if sony fucked this up - but i agree there is a real competitor in the hand-held gaming market now, but with a user base of almost 100million plus users worldwide and a franchise like pokemon (which has been endorsed by all parents as a possible learning tool) i dont see Nintendo going away in the short term, the PSP has a lengthy battle ahead of it and its not marketed by the user base that Nintendo are aiming for

so why cant you have both out there - PSP for the adults, due to price and machine options and the DS/GBA for kids/adults/fanboys

If microsoft where marketing this they have very deep pockets to make this battle last for some time, but i just dont see Sony throwing money away like Microsoft mainly because their pockets arnt as deep - and how are Sony pulling in mega bucks - they take so much of a loss on every ps2(pstwo) sold nowadays whereas Nintendo dont lose that much if at all anything

but since you know the future and sony are going to wipe the floor with Nintendo can you pick the winner tomorrow at the 2:30 at chepstow :make_fac:

infact the Celtic vs Motherwell score would be a start :loco: :loco:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Indeed the PSP looks GREAT!

I mean its one sexy piece of hardware.

But why would I want one?

I can play similar games on the PS2 or get a LCD for my PSTwo and take it on the road.

I'm glad all of you are excited, hell even I was as you can see from my previous posts in this thread.

Less than 30 days for my DS and I can't wait to sit around and play Mario 64 with all of the extras.

Shit, when I bought SMA4: SMB3 I was all giddy about the extras.

I mean, the PSP looks AMAZING for a portable.

But what does it have to offer that hasn't been done?

A RR re-hash?

A NFS: UG remake?

I'd be too scared to play it, cause I might scratch it.

Nintendo has never let me down on a portable.

And I can't wait to see Castlevania... Just looking at my inventory and selecting my weapons and armor with a touch of the screen :)

You guys have fun with the PSP.

I'm gonna sit this one out.

(It did take me a long time to think about it.)

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
buster_broon said:
totally disagree my friend

sure they release far too many 'special' editions but the gba sp is a marvel to use and its perfect

i'm not a small guy and i dont have any problems using the gba sp, maybe people with opposable thumbs find it easier </sarcasm>

i will buy both in the long run - just the same way i buy everthing else, just cant understand your absolute hatred for Nintendo and everything they produce even if it was the best game in the world you would still find flaws in it to call it awful

but it would be funny if sony fucked this up - but i agree there is a real competitor in the hand-held gaming market now, but with a user base of almost 100million plus users worldwide and a franchise like pokemon (which has been endorsed by all parents as a possible learning tool) i dont see Nintendo going away in the short term, the PSP has a lengthy battle ahead of it and its not marketed by the user base that Nintendo are aiming for

so why cant you have both out there - PSP for the adults, due to price and machine options and the DS/GBA for kids/adults/fanboys

If microsoft where marketing this they have very deep pockets to make this battle last for some time, but i just dont see Sony throwing money away like Microsoft mainly because their pockets arnt as deep - and how are Sony pulling in mega bucks - they take so much of a loss on every ps2(pstwo) sold nowadays whereas Nintendo dont lose that much if at all anything

but since you know the future and sony are going to wipe the floor with Nintendo can you pick the winner tomorrow at the 2:30 at chepstow :make_fac:

infact the Celtic vs Motherwell score would be a start :loco: :loco:

Well you obviously don't mind the crappy washed out tiny screen and the crappy thumb-killing dpad. But to illustrate what I'm talking about, compare the GBASP screen with the DS or PSP screens, when those come out (both will be backlit I believe). Look at the difference in quality, then ask yourself how you could stand the crappy little low-res frontlit screen on the SP all this time, squinting to see the games and imagining the colors that aren't there (they aren't, I looked).

I know, the SP is a lot cheaper than the other new ones coming out, and it came out a few years ago, but still it looks like crap (just like every other handheld Nintendo has released, they were all really bad in various ways). The colors aren't rich and saturated looking, they're dim, weak, and washed out. And the dpad on the SP is horrible, it kills your thumbs in any normal action game. These are the things I've had a problem with (the games themselves haven't been that bad actually).

I bought the GBA early on, and about 20 games total for it, but with each new game that I got excited about, my hopes were dashed again when they looked like crap on the dim (unlit) GBA screen and played poorly with the dpad. At LEAST Nintendo could have SOMEHOW improved that dpad, don't you think? And here they are, releasing a BRAND NEW system, with just another cheapass little dpad once again!! (But at least the screens are backlit now, aren't they?). It proves they're out if it when it comes to system design and quality (look at the gimmicky second screen, WTF are they thinking, seriously?).

The only advantage I see is that the DS will play GBA games, thus (maybe) giving those games a new, better appearance on a backlit screen. In fact if that is the case and the games look OK, I might even buy a DS, since I did like many of the GBA games, I just hated the GBA/SP. :annoyed:

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
The cross-shaped d-pad is something of a nintendo trademark (in fact, it might even be a registered trademark, or a Nintendo patent, or something).

I'm perfectly happy with my SP and its screen. So happy, in fact, that I'd prefer neither of the two new machines to be released.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
PlayerOne said:
The cross-shaped d-pad is something of a nintendo trademark (in fact, it might even be a registered trademark, or a Nintendo patent, or something).

I'm perfectly happy with my SP and its screen. So happy, in fact, that I'd prefer neither of the two new machines to be released.

I prefer the classic GBA to handle. If I could get an afterburner kit, I would be set.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If anyone prefers Sony's 'punctuated' dpad to Nintendo's they're on crack. Then on the PSP they've got that pad way down and out of the way so I think Sony has way more problems regarding controls than Nintendo does.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
PlayerOne said:

It is a classic Nintendo controller, BUT, it dates back to the NES!!! Don't you think by now they'd be able to make something that doesn't trash your thumbs?!?! Sony's controller on the PSP is a good example, it looks like it would be a LOT easier on your thumb than the GBASP or DS dpads. and the best of all would be a true analog controller, supposedly the PSP has one of those hidden inside too. It just looks to me like Nintendo cheaped out on the DS, just as they did with the GBA/SP, GBA, and all the ones before. LAME. :oh_no:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
Well you obviously don't mind the crappy washed out tiny screen and the crappy thumb-killing dpad. But to illustrate what I'm talking about, compare the GBASP screen with the DS or PSP screens, when those come out (both will be backlit I believe). Look at the difference in quality, then ask yourself how you could stand the crappy little low-res frontlit screen on the SP all this time, squinting to see the games and imagining the colors that aren't there (they aren't, I looked).

The screen isnt washed out... and depending on the programming the colour can be quite good. And u are comparing two consoles that are not even out yet to a console that has been out for a few yrs. And what would u need a high rez screen for that can displays primarily 2d graphics. So all in all the sp does exactly what it was designed for.

chimpmeister said:
I know, the SP is a lot cheaper than the other new ones coming out, and it came out a few years ago, but still it looks like crap (just like every other handheld Nintendo has released, they were all really bad in various ways). The colors aren't rich and saturated looking, they're dim, weak, and washed out. And the dpad on the SP is horrible, it kills your thumbs in any normal action game. These are the things I've had a problem with (the games themselves haven't been that bad actually).

If u are judging the look of the game... blame the developers. Not the actual hardware... it is very capable of doing anything within the capabilities of other systems of its time. And what are u doing?? jamming your thumb into the d pad.... The pad is very responsive. if u are injuring your thumb using the thing... your just not using it right.

chimpmeister said:
I bought the GBA early on, and about 20 games total for it, but with each new game that I got excited about, my hopes were dashed again when they looked like crap on the dim (unlit) GBA screen and played poorly with the dpad. At LEAST Nintendo could have SOMEHOW improved that dpad, don't you think? And here they are, releasing a BRAND NEW system, with just another cheapass little dpad once again!! (But at least the screens are backlit now, aren't they?). It proves they're out if it when it comes to system design and quality (look at the gimmicky second screen, WTF are they thinking, seriously?).

SO u own about 20 games for it... u liked it alot to warrent 20 game purchases... And what did u expect, a revolution in gaming based on the internal mechanics of a machine that is supposed to bring back alot of the old games. And in regards to design and quality... the systems that nintendo has released in recent yrs have all been designed well... they dont break down... (unlike the ps and ps2) the arcitecture structure of the gamecube is absolutely genious with it being able to produce some of the best results through various tricks and software apparatus. And in regards to the dpad.. they could have used a analog pad with a digital base for transmission but the dpad is what works for them. Especially for the gameboy...

chimpmeister said:
The only advantage I see is that the DS will play GBA games, thus (maybe) giving those games a new, better appearance on a backlit screen. In fact if that is the case and the games look OK, I might even buy a DS, since I did like many of the GBA games, I just hated the GBA/SP. :annoyed:

There will be no better apparence... if there is it will be minimal, hardware tricks to blend pixelation. Other then that the software stays the same.

Over all... your arguements are biased based on your personal experience with the system and in no way suggests facts or general overall conception of the general public

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Chipmeister, get your head out of your ass..

Please name me one one portable released so far where "The colors aren't rich and saturated looking, they're dim, weak, and washed out".

Shit man you just described every LCD screen ever made (except many high end plasma tv's but i think they suck Too!). Wether it's on a Gameboy, Gamegear, My office workstation, TG 16, Nomad, PSone travel or they are all washed out and weak compared to a CRT.

As for the controller, get the F outa here. I have been playin' on the Trademark Nintendo D-Pad since 1986 and never did my thumbs hurt so bad I stopped playing.

Your thumbs hurt? Maybe your Pussy hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
Nintendo is gona get an ass kicking...

:buttrock: FINALLY, Nintendo has real compitition in the handheld department ! All this time they have been doing the same ol same ol stuff like rehashing old classics etc... no real innovation IMO.

I use to be a big supporter of Nintendo... but it's just time they become competitive for the real gamers out there.

The Sony PSP will rouse Nintendo's efferts, unless they have not learned a thing from PSX1 and 2 yet !

ST-V

Never had a problem with Nintendo's d-pad, outside of it still not being as good as the Genny six-button/SS pad. But still better than Sony's, by far.

As for the PSP, I'm so close to pre-ordering that value pack, Minna no Golf & Ridge Racer as well as a battery pack. Still, I wish they pushed the Japanese release til next year, I'm gonna be broke after the DS. :(

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Well I'm a Sony fanboy, not just the games mind. 99% of all of the electrical items in my house have SONY on the front of them. I'm not in any way against Nintendo products though, growing up with the Famicom after all. I'll be picking up the PSP first, mainly for Ridge Racer on the go. MGS Acid should be good too. From what I've seen of the DS (and it isn't too much as I'm not really that interested) is that it's fekking massive. I may be wrong but it looks way bigger than the PSP and only the wireless feature really grabs me. I'm not really up for touch-screen (although it could be very good) and voice activation. The PSP can play movies and music too. Battery life is not a problem for me as I'll most likely only use it when travelling to work on the train and of course I will buy a second battery. I don't beleive for a second that an extended battery will not make an appearance. If I use it at home I WILL have it plugged in.
I'll prolly get a DS way later in its life when there is a huge established library of games, but for now only the PSP holds my interest.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
Well I'm a Sony fanboy, not just the games mind. 99% of all of the electrical items in my house have SONY on the front of them.

You know that son'y doesn't really make any electrical items right? All of thier TV
s are made 3rd parties.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
norton9478 said:
Chipmeister, get your head out of your ass..

Please name me one one portable released so far where "The colors aren't rich and saturated looking, they're dim, weak, and washed out".

Shit man you just described every LCD screen ever made (except many high end plasma tv's but i think they suck Too!). Wether it's on a Gameboy, Gamegear, My office workstation, TG 16, Nomad, PSone travel or they are all washed out and weak compared to a CRT.

As for the controller, get the F outa here. I have been playin' on the Trademark Nintendo D-Pad since 1986 and never did my thumbs hurt so bad I stopped playing.

Your thumbs hurt? Maybe your Pussy hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a complete idiot. The TurboExpress had a WAY better screen than all the lame Gameboys combined. The original gameboy had a horrible blurry b&w screen, and they've all been lame from there. Plus, you're agreeing that the screen is weak and washed out, so obviously you don't care that the product is crap. Nintendo basically tacitly acknowledged the crap quality of the GBA screen when they released the GBA/SP, due to many complaints about the dimness of the original GBA. And they doubled their sales of the stupid handhelds due to the fact that the masses all flocked to buy the GBA once again, with its "improved" frontlit (washed out) screen.

I've discussed the problems with Nintendo handheld systems by pointing out actual facts or opinions regarding the hardware, as opposed to using stupid flame logic without anything to back it up. Try growing up and discussing the real issue instead of using your 13-year-old baby shit, idiot. :rolleyes:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
I've discussed the problems with Nintendo handheld systems by pointing out actual facts or opinions regarding the hardware, as opposed to using stupid flame logic without anything to back it up. Try growing up and discussing the real issue instead of using your 13-year-old baby shit, idiot. :rolleyes:
The real issue is whether or not the Gameboys have "sucked".

They have not.

Who gives a flying fuck about TurboExpress' screen? Gameboys over the years have had the games. That's what matters. The games. Games that are fun to play. Anything and everything else is secondary. That's not flame logic. Also, you are the first person I've ever heard crying about the Gameboy D-pad hurting his wittle thumb.

You can like what ever you want, and TurboExpress was great, but saying Gameboys have "sucked" makes you sound like a complete lunatic. There has never at any point in handheld history, been another handheld with even close to the GB's variety of library or number of GREAT games.

This is not meant as a flame, but I doubt I'll ever be able to take your opinion any more seriously now than the opinion of someone who believes JFK was killed by tigers.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
You're a complete idiot. The TurboExpress had a WAY better screen than all the lame Gameboys combined. The original gameboy had a horrible blurry b&w screen, and they've all been lame from there. Plus, you're agreeing that the screen is weak and washed out, so obviously you don't care that the product is crap. Nintendo basically tacitly acknowledged the crap quality of the GBA screen when they released the GBA/SP, due to many complaints about the dimness of the original GBA. And they doubled their sales of the stupid handhelds due to the fact that the masses all flocked to buy the GBA once again, with its "improved" frontlit (washed out) screen.

All LCD's are weak and washed out.... That was the point....

I don't know what your talking about as far as being hard to see..... Get your eyes checked.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
;) I'am going to order the Japanese release of the PSP. :cool:
Instead of the US release. :cool:

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Shawn Carr2o said:
;) I'am going to order the Japanese release of the PSP. :cool:
Instead of the US release. :cool:
Same here. Although the price may be higher than Japan retail through an import house, you can bet its gonna beat the crap out of the price here in the UK. If the PSP is released at $185 US in the US, then it will probably be released at £185 Stirling in the UK, even though this would equate to $340 US. Such are the ridiculous prices here. If only we would join the Euro. :rolleyes:

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Mawdsley said:
Same here. Although the price may be higher than Japan retail through an import house, you can bet its gonna beat the crap out of the price here in the UK. If the PSP is released at $185 US in the US, then it will probably be released at £185 Stirling in the UK, even though this would equate to $340 US. Such are the ridiculous prices here. If only we would join the Euro. :rolleyes:

If you get a JAP PSP all the games will display with Jap text regardless of where you buy the software, right?