PSP Releases in Japan at 19800 Yen ($185 US!!)

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
$175!?.....thats.....not good. I don't feel comfortable with a device that high tech being release that low. Chances are that they took shortcuts with the build quality/construction. I would have been happy with it at $200 to $250.

And Lolz at all the lame ass responses to this thread. I remember all the bashing of this system here and now everyone is embracing it like it's thier first born just cause $100 was knocked off the speculated price. Gotta love Cheapo, penny pinchining internet dorks, their about as fickle as they come.

EDIT: The import price on this thing is probably going to be a bullshit lie.

Last edited:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
ORPHEUS said:
$175!?.....thats.....not good. I don't feel comfortable with a device that high tech being release that low. Chances are that they took shortcuts with the build quality/construction. I would have been happy with it at $200 to $250.

And Lolz at all the lame ass responses to this thread. I remember all the bashing of this system here and now everyone is embracing it like it's thier first born just cause $100 was knocked off the speculated price. Gotta love Cheapo, penny pinchining internet dorks, their about as fickle as they come.

HAH!

It could be because they'll just take an initial loss like the PS2 and then sit back as production costs drop through the floor. Remember, unlike Nintendo and MS, Sony fabricates its own chips and does all of the assembly in house which reduces the cost of the system a ton compared to its competitors.

Also, I said in the initial PSP/DS thread that if it came out for under $200 and had decent battery life it'd win hands down. Look it up if you want. :p

TonK

Least Valuable Player
ORPHEUS said:

Am I Cheapo, penny pinchining internet dorks?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
broken said:
Hopefully later today or tomorrow we will see some of the import shops start listing some prices on this bad boy for import.

Watch those pricks want like $300 for the basic PSP package.

I'm going to try to not think about this, it'll kill my buzz. We all know it is more than common for Importers to jack up the price on a new console release...

I'll say this though, I am willing to pay up to $300 for the value package. I assume you will need the memory card. Plus, Who can live without the soft-case to protect your precious screen? You also don't need to twist my arms to get me interested in the headphones... ;)

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
HAH!

It could be because they'll just take an initial loss like the PS2 and then sit back as production costs drop through the floor. Remember, unlike Nintendo and MS, Sony fabricates its own chips and does all of the assembly in house which reduces the cost of the system a ton compared to its competitors.

Also, I said in the initial PSP/DS thread that if it came out for under $200 and had decent battery life it'd win hands down. Look it up if you want. :p

No wonder no here likes you. Did I say I was refering to you specificaly. I think you give yourself too much credit.
Also, What about battery life? Is that a fucking EXTERNAL battery pack I see in that pic? Just watch the battery life be confirmed at 3 hours and watch all the kids on the first page go right back to the DS.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:

My old post in the "PSP price leaked" thread:
ResOGlas said:
$350 is a lot, but what did you expect? It's not a piece of N64 crap like the DS. I'm definitely buying one at launch, it's no different that buying a new homecart from the neo-store...

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
TonK said:
Am I Cheapo, penny pinchining internet dorks?
No, not you Mike. You throw around $ like it's going out of fashion
It's No one inparticular, but it is the overall characteristic of many, if not most, of the people on this board. When contrasting the replies in this thread to others about the DS and PSP it is absolutely hilarious.

TonK said:
Drama!
Thank GOD!
And I didn't even start it!

LOL!

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
fuck me, bring on the Neo ports with those sexy four buttons on the face of it :buttrock:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
ORPHEUS said:
No one inparticular, but it is the overall characteristic of many, if not most, of the people on this board. When contrasting the replies in this thread to others about the DS and PSP it is absolutely hilarious.

I just don't understand the statement?

Can you clarify?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
This is great news. I've been dead set on getting one of these, even if the price was $300, but a sub $200 price tag is definitely a plus. Even if Ridge Racer is the only title I buy for awhile, this is a must own. Now we just need a US release date. That is, unless this thing will truly be region free, in which case I will grab an import.

I know it sounds nerdy as hell, but this little tidbit of news has gotten my day off to a good start. :D

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
TonK said:
I just don't understand the statement?Can you clarify?

Um, no. Not now at least. I have my mid term in less than an hour. Gotta do my last cramming session. I'll post later.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Fact 100.00 is a big deal to a lot of people. If you are some sort of baller that throws 300.00 around then more power to you. If that makes me cheap and a dork then eat my cheap dork taint .

JHendrix

ORPHEUS said:
No wonder no here likes you.

:lol:

Also, What about battery life? Is that a fucking EXTERNAL battery pack I see in that pic? Just watch the battery life be confirmed at 3 hours and watch all the kids on the first page go right back to the DS.

Perhaps you should read the PDF I linked to IN THE FIRST POST IN THE THREAD. Or you could have seen the post Broken made on the first page with a link to IGN on battery life.

But since you're too lazy I'll post it for you AGAIN, please take care to read it this time:

IGN said:
] Battery Life Revealed
Sony talks specifics on battery life for the PSP.

October 27, 2004 - This is it. The one piece of information we've all been waiting for. Sony Computer Entertainment has at last managed to mention the word "battery" with regards to the PSP and follow that up with solid numbers.

In the words of the company, "PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides a play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing." These numbers, according to SCE, were determined with the system's luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2), volume set to half the maximum level, headphones used instead of speakers and wireless LAN not in use (note that the maximum luminance value rises to 200 cd/m2 when playing through AC power).
While SCE did not provide details on how much of a hit LAN play would bring about, it's good to at last have an idea of how long we'll be able to play games and watch movies on the PSP. Plus, extra batteries cost just about $45, so doubling the available time (if you're willing to carry a spare with you) could be an legitimate option.

All that's left now is to get the system in our hands and start checking these numbers out for ourselves. With PSP now launching to Japan on 12/12, the wait won't be too long (if you plan on importing, as we do).

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
So, back to the PSP topic.

Why are both the PSP and DS embracing 802.11b for their WI-FI? Isn't 802.11b only 11Mbps a sec? Is that even do-able for online gaming? Why not just fork out the extra 20 cents a unit and go full 802.11g at over 100Mbps a sec?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
FatGuy said:
I'm a big deal to a lot of people. If you are some sort of baller that throws 300.00 around then step up. I can buy whatever the fuck I want, nigga.

:emb:

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
HAH!

Orpheus has doubts about the build quality of this device, and jhendrix references the PS2 in an attempt to argue his point. Am I the only one here who sees the problem with this?

Matt

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:

I don't see your logic in this:

$175 = cheap build quality

$200 or more = Vastly better product

This is a completely new market for Sony to enter into that has been dominated by Nintendo for 15 years now. I am willing to bet, that just like the PS2 and XBox, they will take a loss on the hardware, atleast initially. We all know thats how it works. Give the razor away, make the cash on the blades.

Besides, Sony isn't known for uber high quality on most of their consumer stuff anyways. Yeah, once you get to their ES series home audio stuff (for example) than you are looking at some nice stuff, but I wouldn't worry too much about this.

JHendrix

ResOGlas said:

Why are both the PSP and DS embracing 802.11b for their WI-FI? Isn't 802.11b only 11Mbps a sec? Is that even do-able for online gaming? Why not just fork out the extra 20 cents a unit and go full 802.11g at over 100Mbps a sec?

Dude no home internet connection offers bandwidth greater than 3Mbs/sec DOWN and 256k up. There are some more than that but it's rare to see in a basic home use package. The majority of people only get a 768k down/128k up on a DSL package.

11Mbs/sec is more than enough to handle gaming on a LAN, also considering your wireless internet connection isn't going to be able to pump data faster than your WLAN can connect to it's really not going to be an issue this generation.

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
ResOGlas said:

Why are both the PSP and DS embracing 802.11b for their WI-FI? Isn't 802.11b only 11Mbps a sec? Is that even do-able for online gaming?
More than enough for online gaming.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Force said:
Orpheus has doubts about the build quality of this device, and jhendrix references the PS2 in an attempt to argue his point. Am I the only one here who sees the problem with this?

Matt

Yes, you are.

JHendrix is remarking to the selling of the hardware below actual cost. This has been a trend in video game hardware since the original PS and Saturn launched.

We all know the PS2 build quality is dodgy, at best.

JHendrix

Force said:

Matt

Sony's defect rate on PS2 is well within industry standards, reguardless of what people on the Internet try to tell you. Industry standard manufacturing defect rates for any piece of consumer electronics allows for 1-2% of defective units to slip past QC and make it out to the public. Sometimes it can be much higher in the case of more complex electronics, upwards of 3%. Remember 1% of 60 Million is 600,000. 2% would be 1.2 Million, and so on.

That and my release day PS2 still plays games and DVD's perfectly; I'm not a big believer in the "OMG MY PS2 DIED SONY SUXX!" type arguments.