PSP Light (redesign) confirmed by Sony UK boss

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I'll get one if it's compatible with custom firmwares and has a decent d-pad. My own PSP has the d-pad quite fucked since I tried to fix it :loco:

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Amano Jacu said:
:make_fac:

PS: they should just remove the UMD drive. Most useless part of the PSP.

Seconded, it should be replaced with a hard drive or at least an SD card slot... I hate "Memory Sticks".

Hopefully they'll at least fix the on-screen ghosting and crap.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Soniku said:
Seconded, it should be replaced with a hard drive or at least an SD card slot... I hate "Memory Sticks".

The UMD drive is for the games themselves... :loco:

Must of slipped passed ya'?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I thought it was a slot for 45s. :conf:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
ResOGlas said:
The UMD drive is for the games themselves... :loco:

Must of slipped passed ya'?

I think he was trying to say that UMD's suck. They're way too fragile for a portable system, and barely anyone uses the psp to watch movies. Besides, load times are tough to endure on a portable system. ATV offroad had 1'30" load times for certain courses. I'd much rather play my ds or ngpc.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I haven't used my UMD drive in ages. Playing games from it is a torture, and UMD videos are a failure. Both playing games (and homebrew) and watching movies (which I don't do anyway) can be done from the memory stick.

Without the UMD drive the PSP would be cheaper, smaller and less fragile.

I know it's not gonna happen, but this is just my wish. I'm pretty sure any new portable gaming device will not use an optical drive.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Soniku said:

Fuck that, I like my memory sticks. No harddrive for me, I dont want the thing breaking on me like my damn ipods.

Plus the 4 gig is only 70 bucks now.

I also question how much smaller the thing is going to be. Not really sure what they can move around. As the d pad and buttons on the first revision didnt even work right because of space and I cant see them changing the size of those. Also the speakers go in the bottom. Maybe the umd drive would get a tiny bit smaller but overall Id say about 10 percent as the screen is going to be keep it roughly the same.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
I haven't used my UMD drive in ages. Playing games from it is a torture, and UMD videos are a failure. Both playing games (and homebrew) and watching movies (which I don't do anyway) can be done from the memory stick.

Without the UMD drive the PSP would be cheaper, smaller and less fragile.

I know it's not gonna happen, but this is just my wish. I'm pretty sure any new portable gaming device will not use an optical drive.

Um, did we forget that downloading games and putting them on memory stick isn't legit? Sony would have to find a way to distribute them so that they could still make money. I highly doubt Sony would abandon the UMD.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
That's why I said "I know it's not gonna happen". And backing-up your own POS UMDs and using them in a more convenient way is perfectly legal, of course many people just download them without owning the original.

I mean, the UMD media hasn't prevented PSP from piracy and has made stupid to buy the original games. A way to legally download games would be nice, but again it's not gonna happen. They should learn about mp3 stores, but this is much different.

Maybe they should just distribute the games as flash carts similar to DS games, the problem would be price (although they are getting cheaper every minute) and memory available.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lol changing it to SD, SD is slower by miles you fool, plus its a panasonic format.