PS3 power up question

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
So, I'm buying one of Kray's Vewlix clone cabs. I plan on putting in either an xbox or ps3 in there to play KOF13, SF4, Blazblue etc. But, my question is this:

Can you power up a PS3 by turning it on from a power supply? in other words, if I were to have a power supply or surge protector turn on, would that automatically fire up the PS3, too? Or, would I have to still turn the PS3 on after?

I ask, because I'm trying to figure out a easy way to turn everything on all at once, without having to power up the cab, and THEN the PS3 after. Just ease of use is all. I know for a fact that Xbox 360 doesn't turn on by this method, otherwise I'd just go that route.

Bonus question: Is there a way that you can have multiple games saved onto a hard drive, so I wouldn't have to open up the cab to change out games? I haven't owned a PS3 in 5 years, and can't remember the details.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I haven't seen this as a possibility at all. If power is completely cut to the system, it has to be turned on by pressing the button on the system, rather than by the controller. I haven't heard of any other way, and haven't seen this option in the system diagnostic screen (by pressing the power button and holding until the double beep happens).

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I see, thanks. I may just get a computer with the Taito x2 emulator on it and be done with it. Anyone wanna sell me a PC that they have that runs the emu perfectly?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
So, I'm buying one of Kray's Vewlix clone cabs. I plan on putting in either an xbox or ps3 in there to play KOF13, SF4, Blazblue etc. But, my question is this:

Can you power up a PS3 by turning it on from a power supply? in other words, if I were to have a power supply or surge protector turn on, would that automatically fire up the PS3, too? Or, would I have to still turn the PS3 on after?

I ask, because I'm trying to figure out a easy way to turn everything on all at once, without having to power up the cab, and THEN the PS3 after. Just ease of use is all. I know for a fact that Xbox 360 doesn't turn on by this method, otherwise I'd just go that route.

Bonus question: Is there a way that you can have multiple games saved onto a hard drive, so I wouldn't have to open up the cab to change out games? I haven't owned a PS3 in 5 years, and can't remember the details.

As far as I am aware, no and no.

I'd suggest doing emulation, or accepting the fact that you will need to open your cabinet up anytime you want to turn the system on/change games. Obviously for any downloaded titles you will not need to change the disc (SF2, MvC2, SF3 come to mind)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
why not have the ps3 remote on hand? i power my ps3 up via that without turning on controllers all the time.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
If I go this route, I may as well just do an xbox 360, and have the power button on the controller wired up to one of the buttons on the side.

Here's the cab I'm getting:
P1010020.JPG

Based on this, those side buttons will just be power and maybe power for the rest as the second button.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
If I go this route, I may as well just do an xbox 360, and have the power button on the controller wired up to one of the buttons on the side.

Here's the cab I'm getting:
P1010020.JPG

Based on this, those side buttons will just be power and maybe power for the rest as the second button.

that plan would work on the ps3 too.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What's the connection to the monitor? If it's HDMI, there is an option in the PS3's settings, HDMI Control I think, that as soon as it gets an HDMI signal, it will turn on. When my PS3 was directly connected to my TV, if I changed to that input it would immediately turn on the PS3. It's definitely not perfect, though, as I have it wired through my receiver now, but it won't turn on when I change to that input. That's something the receiver is doing, though, and probably the receiver is waiting for a signal before it actually turns its port on or something. Basically, if you're connecting via HDMI, though, you can probably get this to work by simply turning on the cab.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
What's the connection to the monitor? If it's HDMI, there is an option in the PS3's settings, HDMI Control I think, that as soon as it gets an HDMI signal, it will turn on. When my PS3 was directly connected to my TV, if I changed to that input it would immediately turn on the PS3. It's definitely not perfect, though, as I have it wired through my receiver now, but it won't turn on when I change to that input. That's something the receiver is doing, though, and probably the receiver is waiting for a signal before it actually turns its port on or something. Basically, if you're connecting via HDMI, though, you can probably get this to work by simply turning on the cab.

Hmm, that may work? And yes, it's HDMI.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Agreed, I hadn't even heard of these Vewlix clones until this thread. The prices are very affordable and I love the DYI aspect of getting a kit and putting it together. Very cool indeed.