[PS2] Sengoku Anthology

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I thought Sengoku 2 was decent enough, but I'll buy the PS2 game just so I can (legally) play Sengoku 3. I love it, although I do think it's a tad too long for its own good. It's one of the few games I'll never own on MVS since I don't think it's worth the price tag it currently goes for.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
No side-scrolling beatemup has ever managed to top the arcade Alien vs. Predator game. Awesome for its time, still awesome today.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That really was a low blow there, it all fun and games until you start comparing stuff to ninja combat.

What if I said that Ninja Combat should have had a sequel of this caliber? I didn't mean to lump it in with the original as a shit game, I just was saying that the gameplay is closer to NC, at least to me anyways.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
No side-scrolling beatemup has ever managed to top the arcade Alien vs. Predator game. Awesome for its time, still awesome today.

Well a bunch of other capcom side scrollers come close but yes AVP actually does get your adrenaline flowing in a non sarcastic literal way especially towards the end of the game with 3 players going, its king of arcade brawlers much like streets of rage 2 is king of the console brawlers.

What if I said that Ninja Combat should have had a sequel of this caliber? I didn't mean to lump it in with the original as a shit game, I just was saying that the gameplay is closer to NC, at least to me anyways.

A squeal of any real caliber would have eclipse the original ninja combat even on the level of double dragon 3.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Only problem was that it was too easy. I beat it with only 5 quarters the first time I played it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
A squeal of any real caliber would have eclipse the original ninja combat even on the level of double dragon 3.

Sengoku 2001 isn't even as good as Double Dragon 3 on the nes, much less Double Dragon 1. 14 years later, a company managed to make a shittier game on a more powerful system. Wow. Impressive.

Only problem was that it was too easy. I beat it with only 5 quarters the first time I played it.

But it has an advanced combo system!

buster_broon

The Rock,
I'm with Wasabi on a few points, but no way is it as bad as Rosetta Stones

the game is far inferior to Sengoku 2, heck even Sengoku 1 has its little things that makes it great, i particularly love the music and effects

but for me Sengoku 2001 or 3 is a great advertisement of what the Neo Geo could do in the looks department

it does look magical on 1990 equipment

for a collection at a price point of $20 with 1 great game and 2 decent games on it - who can complain

just need to wait and see what Playmore have up their sleeve wrt to Ninja Masters, as Richard pointed out it is part of the Neo geo collection in Japan if the intro has anything to go by

I've got all 12 so far - whats a couple more

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I said "more advanced combo system." Key word being "more."

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Sengoku 2001 isn't even as good as Double Dragon 3 on the nes, much less Double Dragon 1.

What happened? Why the vitriol? Did Sengoku 2001 talk about your mom?

While its failings are many (lack of enemy variety, uninspired bosses, boring backgrounds) it comes through with a surprisingly deep (for a beat-em-up) combat system and nice character selection.

If someone was still wet over the first two I can why 2001 would irk them. It was totally different and not as good as it should have been. But hell, I was just glad to see a new beat-em-up in 2001. And for the record, that combat system is better than anything coming out of Beats of Rage. (forgive me Beats, I still love you)

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Sengoku 2 is where it's at. It had it all, including Hitler. It's still fun to play to this day whereas Sengoku is a fucking chore anymore.

Sengoku 3, while only linked to 1 and 2 by virtue of the Sengoku name and nothing more, is a fun 2D brawler. When I had my cabinet I put a lot of play time into S3 with my friends.

All that being said, I'll gladly pick this anthology up if it comes out stateside.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The problem with Sengoku 3 is it feels slightly rushed and unfinished: A boat pulls up and enemies get off... but you never ride the boat. The characters jump off a building, but you never play as they fall. It's just lacking the kind of extra bonus parts and variety of scenery that you expect from even some of the oldest beat'em ups. It's just a straight forward romp.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The problem with Sengoku 3 is it feels slightly rushed and unfinished: A boat pulls up and enemies get off... but you never ride the boat. The characters jump off a building, but you never play as they fall. It's just lacking the kind of extra bonus parts and variety of scenery that you expect from even some of the oldest beat'em ups. It's just a straight forward romp.

slightly rushed?

very rushed. Could have done so much more with it.

Deuce

This thread has inspired me to go play Sengoku 2 tonight. I don't think I've ever played through it to completion.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
@Ki_Atsushi:

An old member, Chainsawyak (a big fan of Ninja Combat), had a small list of reasons why he thought this game was originally a Ninja Combat game. I can't remember NC one bit, but his argument seemed well founded.

Interesting at least one other person felt the same way.
--------
"Deep" and "repetitive" combo systems aren't the same thing. If you like Sen3, cool. I thought the game was a steal at the prices it sold for shortly after it came out. Lacking, yes. A crime to play, no.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
@Ki_Atsushi:

A old member, Chainsawyak (a big fan of Ninja Combat), had a small list of reasons why he thought this game was originally a Ninja Combat game. I can't remember NC one bit, but his argument seemed well founded.

Interesting at least one other person felt the same way.
--------
"Deep" and "repetitive" combo systems aren't the same thing. If you like Sen3, cool. I thought the game was a steal at the prices it sold for shortly after it came out. Lacking, yes. A crime to play, no.

the price definitely took a nice rise, which I took advantage of.

Sadly, Sengoku 2001 seems to have incurred the Kizuna Effect, where a steep rise in price leads people to think the game is actually better than it is.

Deuce

Kizuna Encounter is a decent game, marred by an almost-completely worthless character roster.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Button mashing is not an advanced combo system.

Listen, Sengoku 3 is a decent game in of its self, but it doesn't belong in the same series as the first two. They should have named it Ninja Combat 2.

Holy shit, thats the same fucking thing I said to Shawn when I bought Sengoku 3. It is better looked at as a Ninja Combat 2. It is definately no Sengoku 3. Sengoku 1 and 2 shit all over the boring piece of shit that Sengoku 3 was.

mungrin

Panko KING,
When Sengoku 3 came out in arcades,i tried really really hard to like it.It had awesoem graphics and was cool and all but really repetitive.I just couldnt get into.Sengoku 2 is like an adventure.Its a fun game to beat as where 3 is like a chore.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member

Thems fightin' words.:shame:

I'll always love 1 for nostalgia value alone.

Sadly I never played 2 and with everyone's fond memories of it I now wish to play it.

Like some have said, 3 is good for what it is but I'll be honest...that game makes my wrists hurt after a few minutes.

I'll pull off a 16-hit combo if I really pound the controller for 3 minutes straight and then whoopie, I get to do it all over again for the next 50 guys. And the guy I just laid out with the 16-hit combo still takes another five to seven whacks before he goes "aark" and bursts into flames. Great looking game but I'd rather avoid it.

TheLastTrin

NEST Puppet
I find it ironic that the cover art for this title is from a game not originally intended to be a Sengoku game.

While S2K1 wasn't close to being the best one in the series, it really is the one with the most marketable art.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
While S2K1 wasn't close to being the best one in the series, it really is the one with the most marketable art.

Sengoku 3 is the only one in the series still worth playing, IMO. Its game play destroys most other 2D beat-em-ups. It just needed (much) better enemy variety.