PS2 modding...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I just found a 90001 series PS2 slim and I have a modchip (Xeno) that I've had sitting around for a while. I've tried installing the Xeno in a 75000 (or 70000, I forget) series slim and had the laser die on me.

Is that something I have to worry about when I try to mod this 90001 slim? Do I have to some resistor fix to make sure the laser doesn't die?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I remember there was a diode that had to be installed. Sub zero, is what the mod was called, iirc. My laser still died, however.

Edit: Now that I'm on a computer, I see this is only for v12 models.

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I would sell the 90001, buy literally any other model, and softmod that with FMCB Installer. Use an Action Replay disc, or set it up with another modded PS2.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nice setup if you're playing lots of backups but it won't boot original imports that way.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I already have a modded Phat PS2 and a Free McBoot. I don't know if Free McBoot would work with all my old burns; I've read that there's a patch or something to get burned games to work with McBoot.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I already have a modded Phat PS2 and a Free McBoot. I don't know if Free McBoot would work with all my old burns; I've read that there's a patch or something to get burned games to work with McBoot.

Couldn't you just rip those burns, or download fresh copies and load onto you HDD?

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Nice setup if you're playing lots of backups but it won't boot original imports that way.

An Action Replay disc should fix that problem. Easier than chipping, albeit slightly less convenient.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Couldn't you just rip those burns, or download fresh copies and load onto you HDD?

That's how I do it. I've got an unmodded Fat with a HDD and I just connect the HDD to my computer and copy downloaded images directly over.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Some games just don't work right off the hard drive.
for example, you can't play any Gummi stages in KH2FM+ or the game freezes.
Phantasy Star Generations has silly graphical corruption.
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick just plain won't load.
Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 1 freezes up after the intro.
.hack//MUTATION wont load
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum freezes

there's many others too.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Are you trying those on the latest Open PS2 Loader (OPL)? I know it's fixed a lot of troublesome games that HD Loader plays badly with.