PS2 LB and NW Covers

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
On the covers:

Neo Wave one looks nice, good ensemble, simple and clean.

Last Blade collection has nice artwork but cover looks a bit cluttered with all the text and so on.

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
honeyman said:
On the covers:

Neo Wave one looks nice, good ensemble, simple and clean.

Last Blade collection has nice artwork but cover looks a bit cluttered with all the text and so on.
Exactly ^^

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
maybe it's already said, but... Fran, do you go to arcades in order to play NW? Or got atomiswave?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The LB one looks great. As much as I hate the artwork from the person that did Neo Wave (worst part of Matrimelee... otherwise a great game), I don't mind that cover, either. Looking good.

I agree, on the off-topic comment about NBC, as I can't wait for it to come out. So many cool characters to pick from.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Shito said:
Hiroaki is a pure art genius. God bless him for the BRILLIANT KOF2001 cover.

I also dig Nona. He got style and attitude, and he's capable of putting them BOTH in his portraits especially.

Shiroi Eiji is great too.

TONKO is a kind of art god.

Murata Range is great.

But hey, that Murata Range wannabe stinks. And yes, Falcoon with his 'doujinshi-like' digipaint art stinks as well, possibly more.

Screw them both.

What a series of terrible opinions, ending with the ultimate insult of Falcoon. That guy's a total badass. Nona's stuff got better, but he started off TERRIBLE.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Good to see I'm not the only one amazed that Fran now likes Neowave and KOF2k2.

:cool:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
person that did Neo Wave (worst part of Matrimelee... otherwise a great game)

NOT. THE. SAME. ARTIST.

FOR THE 10000 time :oh_no:

(also the 10 time in this very thread) :oh_no:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Spike Spiegel said:
What a series of terrible opinions, ending with the ultimate insult of Falcoon. That guy's a total badass. Nona's stuff got better, but he started off TERRIBLE.

Well its only an opinion but I pretty much think a lot of Falcoon's stuff is rubbish. Too bubbly, fat & under detailedfor me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shito said:
NOT. THE. SAME. ARTIST.

FOR THE 10000 time :oh_no:

(also the 10 time in this very thread) :oh_no:
Yeah, it's been said a bunch of times, but you know what? I now don't think Murata did Matrimelee, either. I think it was this joker. Look closely. I think we always all assumed it was Murata, because we had no reason to expect any differently at that time. Now, I'm not sure.

I think Matrimelee looked more like Murata because this guy had all the old Goketsuji Ichizoku character illustrations to reference from, whereas Murata never drew KOF, so that was easier to spot as being a different artist.

H

hermegildo

SouthtownKid said:
Yeah, it's been said a bunch of times, but you know what? I now don't think Murata did Matrimelee, either. I think it was this joker. Look closely. I think we always all assumed it was Murata, because we had no reason to expect any differently at that time. Now, I'm not sure.

I think Matrimelee looked more like Murata because this guy had all the old Goketsuji Ichizoku character illustrations to reference from, whereas Murata never drew KOF, so that was easier to spot as being a different artist.

I never bothered to look at both of these guys' work side by side, but now that the mention it, the illustrations in Matrimelee and the ones in Neowave look extremely similar. I've googled Matrimelee, and I always seem to find that Murata is the official illustrator for the game though. If the guy in Neowave is indeed a wannabe, then his work is really close to that of Murata's, to what he did in Matrimelee at least. Does anybody have official information on who the artists for both of these games were?

I'm curious about this myself now.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:

It's Murata. I personally talked with the Gonzo staff (I was working on Last Exile back then) and we were discussing about how great was that Murata actually did the last Gouketsuji chapter art. On top of that, is clarely his art. Females are especially typical of his style, Kurara and Sissy on top. Everyone knows Murata has a lolicon. :kekeke:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Baseley09 said:
Well its only an opinion but I pretty much think a lot of Falcoon's stuff is rubbish. Too bubbly, fat & under detailedfor me.

Typical doujinshi style. Otakus get all exicted for the OMG OMG big b00bs. But females all looks like retards (after-rape-retards, that is), and portrayts have almost 0 attitude. Lame.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Shito said:
It's Murata. I personally talked with the Gonzo staff (I was working on Last Exile back then) and we were discussing about how great was that Murata actually did the last Gouketsuji chapter art. On top of that, is clarely his art. Females are especially typical of his style, Kurara and Sissy on top. Everyone knows Murata has a lolicon. :kekeke:

Average Joe was right.

He does practically write the jokes for you.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
NW: Looks bland and generic like most anime. Of all the SNK / SNKP covers, this is one of the worst ever.

LB 1 and 2: A lame attempt to duplicate the style of LB, while at the same time, making it look like bland old manga art.

There is nothing about these arts that would make them stand out, and nothing that would make them appeal to a fan, even.

I liked the MOTW cover, much, much better.

Cover Posse Out.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Average Joe was right.

He does practically write the jokes for you.

I'm just missing something here... :conf:

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Rade Kuruc said:
NW: Looks bland and generic like most anime. Of all the SNK / SNKP covers, this is one of the worst ever.

LB 1 and 2: A lame attempt to duplicate the style of LB, while at the same time, making it look like bland old manga art.

There is nothing about these arts that would make them stand out, and nothing that would make them appeal to a fan, even.

I liked the MOTW cover, much, much better.

Cover Posse Out.
If you read the discussion, the Garou cover and the Last Blade cover are both illustrated by Tonko (who did the character art for the Last Blade series). There is nothing to be duplicated, since it's the original artist who's doing it. :spock:

Rade K

20 Year Member
sQuareh4t3r said:
If you read the discussion, the Garou cover and the Last Blade cover are both illustrated by Tonko (who did the character art for the Last Blade series). There is nothing to be duplicated, since it's the original artist who's doing it. :spock:

I never said they weren't by Tonko.
:glee: :glee: :glee:

The Last Blade Art is not up to the standard set in 1997/1998. I guess if I wanted to cover my ass, I could say that the artist produced something that does not duplicate the effectiveness of his original works.

I still hate both of them.

MOTW cover still very nice.

:glee: :glee: :glee:

Though I have not put any kind of order down on it. I honestly bough the original DC release only for the art.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
sQuareh4t3r said:
...according to one guy, in his first post here. I'm not saying it's not Tonko, but it would have been nice if that guy had backed his statement up with a source or a link or something.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
The NW cover...I like it, but then again, I'm biased as a result of all three members of my main team of choice appearing on it.

sQuareh4t3r

Rade Kuruc said:
Though I have not put any kind of order down on it. I honestly bough the original DC release only for the art.
Which version? There are three variations of the Garou DC covers (two Japanese and the American). If you're talking about the original Japanese cover, then hell yes. The others are just kinda meh, if I recall.

Regardless, I think Playmore is just sort of living up to our subpar standards when it comes to overall product quality with these covers. Far from awful, but not much to really get worked up into frenzy over, either. :annoyed:

Rade K

20 Year Member
sQuareh4t3r said:
Which version? :

Original DC release. Japanese DC, first released around Sept 23rd-ish, 2001. Came along with a copy of CVS2 from NCSX. I wrote (poor) reviews for both of them, which can be found on this very site.

With time, I like the cover art more than the port.

It was an ok port.

garou_motw_mini.gif

sQuareh4t3r

Rade Kuruc said:
Original DC release. Japanese DC, first released around Sept 23rd-ish, 2001. Came along with a copy of CVS2 from NCSX. I wrote (poor) reviews for both of them, which can be found on this very site.

With time, I like the cover art more than the port.

It was an ok port.
The image you linked wasn't working, but I assume you were talking about this cover:

a71076c9.jpg

Yeah, I was always fond of that cover art, too. It brings back fond memories of hours of pure pwnage at the local video game store I worked at; everyone was always so pissed at me because I would beat them down with Rock's Deadly Rave Neo.

But I digress. I have no idea why Playmore felt the need to change the cover art when they re-released it, but whatever. They just haven't made any really good cover art for their games (KOF2001 not included), and these two recent examples, while not awful, just don't have the same charm and feeling that the SNK-era games and art had.

PS. The port is quite good (sound issues aside), and the art galleries are frickin' sweeeeeeet.

Last edited:

Rade K

20 Year Member
sQuareh4t3r said:
The image you linked wasn't working, but I assume you were talking about this cover:

a71076c9.jpg

PS. The port is quite good (sound issues aside), and the art galleries are frickin' sweeeeeeet.

Yeah, that's the one. I believe it was the last port SNK released as SNK. The sound on the port really bugged me after a while. And the borders. And the filtered graphics. I really, really don't like filtering. Let me see the pixels.

I'll give you the art galleries. Unlocking those were great for the sole purpose of seeing the Kyokugen Karate Poster.