PS2 KOF2002 Ultimate Match Tougeki

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i haven't ordered an import in a while... let's see how this goes.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
The best part about this news for me is that KOF 2002 is rebalanced for Super Battle Opera 2010!

I didn't know that, hopefully there will less Namelesses and other top tiers (i.e. more variety in characters used)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I wish they had kept the pink color theme of the original AES cart. My fav cart looks wise in my collection

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This game has already been released in Japan. Has anyone got their copy yet?

Yes, I have it and have played it quite a bit.

Presentation-wise, it's no different as far as I can tell. Other than the clamshell insert, nothing seems different about it lookswise. Same interface, cutscenes, music, etc.

Whatever 'rebalancing' has happened, I can't tell yet and the changes are likely rather subtle.

But it's not a perfect rebalancing. Last night, I was playing Endless mode with '99 Robert Garcia and his :down: hold, then :up: + :B: or :D: has RIDICULOUS damage. So there are still some issued with supposed balance.

Your old save file will not work with this version of the game. You'll have to do all challenges and unlocks all over again.

Also, game feels a little glitchy. Every once in a while, the music on the character select screen plays super fast, and when this happens, the cutscenes go to a black screen. It feels like the game freezes, but pressing buttons takes you to the fight, so it doesn't stop you from playthroughs.

For $30 US, it's worth it if you like KOF 2002 or KOF 2002 UM.

speaking of 2K2 UM, anybody have an idea of when this is supposed to hit for XBLA?

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
I regret making this purchase. It is no different from the original, and it isn't arcade perfect either. Some of the glitches from the original UM is still present, notably foxy's SDM follow-up, which the arcade version DID NOT have. Arcade version's 2d BGs are also missing(only UM's 3d BGs). No neo geo mode of the original KOF 2002 either. The other subtle balances form the arcade version are present, but still not a 100% exact port. I wonder if the XBLA version would be better...

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
It doesn't even have the 2D backgrounds from the arcade version. Unless you are a SUPER-HARDCORE TOURNEY PLAYER, don't bother getting this if you already have the original 2002 UM.

Add me to the list of people wondering where the hell the XBLA version is. NGBC is still fun, but I'd much rather be playing 2002 UM. I'm sure it will get more players than NGBC has, too.