PS2 game recommendations.

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
I need recommendations on some good PS2 exclusives. I was between jobs for a bit and had to conserve cash, but now that I'm back in the mix I am finding that I have a lot of catching up to do. The thing is, my Gamecube games already vastly out number my PS2 games. Even my GBA games do. I just don't seem to find the good ones in the mix of all the general crap. If people could give me some good recommendations I'd be greatful. On PS2 I have.

Maximo
Devil May Cry
Contra: Shattered Soldiers
Virtua Fighter 4
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X
Parapa the Rapper 2 (It was 4.99, don't care for it much)
DDR Max

A few I know I'll be picking up are.
Castlevania: LoI
DDR Max 2

That's about all I can think of. I know there are a few minor ones I'm leaving out, but I just can't recall at the moment. Anyway, thanks in advance. Hope that gives you a decent idea of what I'm into.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
I would skip red faction 2. The first one was much better. As for my list:
Ico
GTA
Grand Turisimo
Guilty Gear x
Jak and dexter
Armored core (any)
Suikoden 3
Harvest Moon
Ring of Red
Aqua Aqua
Adventure of cookie and cream (if you like strange mulit-player puzzle games)
ATV off road fury 1 & 2
Ace combat
Wild arms 3

I'll think of more later

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
You really need to play ICO. It's cheap and sooooo well done.

Others mentioned Suikoden 3. I'll throw Shadow of Destiny in the mix (also from Konami) for a completely different style of game. A lot of puzzle solving, a lot of "watching", but the story is genuinly interesting and every ending is worth replaying for (they fill in different parts of the story rather than being slight variations).

Jade Cacoon 2 is also a very overlooked but very solid, unique RPG. Charming, deep, fast paced...

There's more of course, but I figure nobody else has even tried the last 2 on my list, so I thought I'd share the love.

Frame Gride 2

Robert Garcia's Butler
Nick Goracke said:
You really need to play ICO. It's cheap and sooooo well done.

Others mentioned Suikoden 3. I'll throw Shadow of Destiny in the mix (also from Konami) for a completely different style of game. A lot of puzzle solving, a lot of "watching", but the story is genuinly interesting and every ending is worth replaying for (they fill in different parts of the story rather than being slight variations).

Jade Cacoon 2 is also a very overlooked but very solid, unique RPG. Charming, deep, fast paced...

There's more of course, but I figure nobody else has even tried the last 2 on my list, so I thought I'd share the love.

I totally agree about Shadow of Destiny.. its a very original game and I loved the story. Although it was short, 5-6 hrs.. it had like 6 or 7 different endings and I went back and got all of them.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Dynasty Tactics
Kessen 2
Gungrave
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
Ninja Assault
Armored Core (2 onwards)
Silent Hill 3
Onimusha 2
Clock Tower 3
Primal
Resident Evil: Dead Aim
Chaos Legion
Contra: Shattered Soldiers
Dynasty Warriors 4
Metal Gear Solid 2
Shadow Hearts
Ratchet and Clank

Judging by your sig these 2 may not apply, but for others who are after PS2 games:
Tekken Tag
Takken 4

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Guilty Gear X2
Gungrave
Xenosaga Episode 1
.hack (volumes 1-4, 4 being due in November)
Shadow Hearts
Wild Arms 3
Jak and Daxter
Jak II
Grandia II (DC version would be better, though)
KoF 2000/2001 compilation (due in November)
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Onimusha 1 and 2
Disgaea
Ace Combat 04

Avoid Devil May Cry 2, though. My explanation:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67585

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
Metal gear solid 2: substance
Gran turismo 3
Burnout 2
Rygar(awesome!)
Silent hill 3
Guilty Gear XX
Fatal frame
Soul Calibur 2
Jak II(already out and is an awesome platformer)
Zone of the enders 1 and 2
Soul reaver 2
Blood omen 2

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Jak II
Pro Evo III
Tenchu III
GTA III
Soul Calibur II
Tekken IV
Virtua Fighter IV Evolution
Capcom Vs SNK II
Onimusha
Desert Storm II

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Get these:

Barbarian
Hunter The Reckoning: Wayward
Ace Combat 4
Rygar
Chessmaster online
War of the Monsters

My favorites- besides Virtua Fighter 4:Evo of course.

Megatron X

X nortageM,
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon DX & the others that have been mentioned.

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
Thanks everyone. I'm a bit iffy about Ico, but seeing as everyone seem pretty keen on it I'll probably look into it more. I'm not a big fan of games like GTA, Gran Turismo, and Red Faction however. I'm not much on FPS games. I would enjoy GTA more if I didn't get tired of it so fast. And I'm just not that into cars, so a lot of the upgrades and stuff in Gran Turismo really confuse me. I prefer a little more "noob" level racer. R: Racing Evolution is looking quite pretty right now as I hear it takes a lot of stuff from Gran Turismo and simplifies it.

There are a lot of titles listed that I haven't heard much of at all. But I'll try to look into those some more. A few I already have on Cube and Dreamcast, but most seem to be good. I'll definately pick up Rygar, I don't know why I forgot about that, probably since I don't see it on shelves so much. But I have being meaning to pick it up. I'll also check out Amplitude and Frequency, as well as suggest Gitaroo Man for anyone that was into those two games. It's a little more quirky but great fun.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
some over-looked titles:

Mark of Kri : don't care about it being short. it's fucken worthy

Zone of the Enders 2: very challenging and involves skills (DMC). along with the other great stuff (story, control, ... etc.)

Winning Eleven 6

Ico (duh)

Fatal Frame

Rygar

shinobi: (3d just doesn't fit this genre, but I still like it's unique style)

you should check some of the more popular games as well, like twisted metal, GTA 3/VC, MGS2, Onimusha, FF X, silent hill 3 ..... etc. if you could be more accurate about what kind of games you're looking for, we would be able to help more.

uh and the PS2 has some great RPGs:

wild arms 3, arc the lad, grandia xtreme, legaia 2, Suikoden 3, FFX and Kingdom Hearts. I don't know whether there will be a US release for star ocean, but it seems cool as well.

Ring of Red and Shadow of Disteny have their own style. I remember playing RoR during Ramadan a couple years back ...... great memories :D

Last edited:

Ein_boser_Schotte

Quiz Detective
shin sangokumusou or the Dynasty warriors series
Ace Combat 4 and five when it comes out.
Jak 2
SOCOM II, been beta testing it and it is bloody great.
FF X-2
FF XI
Legacy of Kain series
Nearly any title from Koei

these are among my favourites. Ace Combat 4 is about the best game, i play it all the time, though i've played through it well over a hundred times.

CraigPilecky

Zero's Tailor
Im just going to reiterate whats being said about Ico. The game friggin ROCKS!

Unless you HATE exploration/puzzle solving gameplay, and have no heart whatsoever, you will love this game. I was practically crying at some points. One of the best games ever.

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
War of the Monsters is probablly one of the most overlooked games on the PS2. Multiplayer is a blast! Wrecking cities while beating rivals senseless is a beautuful thing. Now if only there's a sequel which supported 4 players....