PS1 game recommendations

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Castlevania symphony of the night,crash bandicoot,resident evil 2,parasite eve,metal gear solid
So many gems really...

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Builder's Block is the best (puzzle) game no one ever mentions. It has a lot more to offer than the original arcade game, Landmaker. Ignore everyone else and start with this.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
OP will be broke to get all the titles we recommend.............most likely he needs a small personal loan or do some OTs..........

Well I did install that modchip so I wouldn't have to go broke playing some of the classic Playstation games.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's odd...while I often consider the PS1 to be the best gaming system ever made...it hasn't aged well at all. This single fact is why I often think of the SNES as my all time favorite.

Some of the best of the best PS1 titles are a "had to be there when it was new" kind of deal, some of then have aged horribly and while the play mechanics are solid, the graphics are such shit, it is painful to play in 2015.

i used to play games like Soul Blade, Wipeout, or Jet Moto for hours...now...yeah, not so much.

The 2D titles are still awesome though...and I am a HUGE Castlevania SOTN fan (yeah, I"m not afraid to admit that)...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Some good recommendations here. I was also a PS2 and SNES diehard.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
most of my favorites have been named, but if you're in the mood for a quirky music game, check out Vib-Ribbon.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
SOTN is one of the best games ever made, second only to Rondo in the series.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
My ONLY gripe with SoTN is that it's too easy.

I did an accessory only run and was able to beat it easily.
Barehanded fighting with no armor or capes or items is surprisingly easy. If you get the distance just right, punches hit twice.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I like Dino Crisis and the other Castlevania that is not SotN. Nice games. Also the Gran Turismo series, can't go wrong with them IMHO.

Regards.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My ONLY gripe with SoTN is that it's too easy.

I did an accessory only run and was able to beat it easily.
Barehanded fighting with no armor or capes or items is surprisingly easy. If you get the distance just right, punches hit twice.

Very true. If you get any really good weapon/item combos it pretty much breaks the game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Why would you be? Tak's the only one who doesn't like it.

Let's say I'm one of the few people who don't like the game. It looks great and the mechanics are quite tight but the backtracking sucks IMO. I love the original CVs on NES and specially Bloodlines on MD and played them to hell and back, that's why CV is only CV for me if it's a straight-forward 2D platformer with cool bosses, high difficulty level and a touch of 1960s Hammer Film productions Dracula.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Point Blank 1, 2, & 3...
Bust a Move/Bust a Groove
Poy Poy 1 & 2
Ten Pin Alley
Kagero
Bushido Blade
Einhander
Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Kartia, Vandal Hearts, Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Panzer Bandit
Gunners Heaven
Asuka 120% last ver I guess
Adventures of Little Ralph
Harmful Park
Ridge Racer 4
Tenchu

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
A lot of them were mentioned already but I enjoyed:

Castlevania: SotN
Castlevania Chronicles
Einhander
Metal Slug X
Strider 2
Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2
Ape Escape
Raystorm/Raycrisis
Tempest ( I forget if it was X3 or 2000?)
Mega Man X4
Namco Museum
Saga Frontier ( yeah it's an Rpg but I thought it was cool and original)
Silhouette Mirage

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Why would you be? Tak's the only one who doesn't like it.

For some reason, SotN seems to be the CV title people love to bitch about…even mores than Simon's Quest. Every time it comes up…out comes the butchers calling it a fake CV title and proclaiming Rondo was so fucking amazing, it actually produced a few children in the 90's via divine birth...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
As I said, my fave CV is Bloodlines, not Rondo. I don't bash on SotN because it's popular, I just don't like the shift of focus to certain RPG-ish elements, that's all.

If that makes me a butcher, so be it. :D

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
As I said, my fave CV is Bloodlines, not Rondo. I don't bash on SotN because it's popular, I just don't like the shift of focus to certain RPG-ish elements, that's all.

If that makes me a butcher, so be it. :D

For a long time I preferred Bloodlines to IV, but in recent years IV is back to being my favorite for no reason other than nostalgia.

Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps is Mega Drive Konami at their finest. No bullshit, no filler, all action and great setpieces all the time while pushing the MD to its limit.

And just a few threads away, 19 years later Konami is ceasing all AAA-game production...eh, times have changed.

Here's a Classic neo-geo.com thread not authored by LoneSage but it's about Bloodlines so here it is:

www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?206758-I-really-like-Castlevania-Bloodlines

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
For a long time I preferred Bloodlines to IV, but in recent years IV is back to being my favorite for no reason other than nostalgia.

Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps is Mega Drive Konami at their finest. No bullshit, no filler, all action and great setpieces all the time while pushing the MD to its limit.

And just a few threads away, 19 years later Konami is ceasing all AAA-game production...eh, times have changed.

Here's a Classic neo-geo.com thread not authored by LoneSage but it's about Bloodlines so here it is:

www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?206758-I-really-like-Castlevania-Bloodlines

Nice link.

I like CV IV on SNES. Most of the minor gripes I have with it are related to the graphics and general layout, I much prefer the darker, grittier tone of Bloodlines or the NES games here. The waggly whip also gave me some headaches at first.

Bloodlines and Hardcorps are two of the best games the MD has to offer, I've put an awesome amount of time into both of them, and yeah, given the current state of things, we will never see games like that again... sad but true. I also don't have any hope for a proper revival of the CV series, for ex. by a small developer who picks up the CV IP down the road and makes a new game that reportedly follows the old path, the last game that received such a treatment was Strider but again they dragged in all that irrelevant mush like backtracking that bores me to tears.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I love Motor Toon Grand Prix. Someone in this thread mentioned MTGP 2, but I haven't seen that one. Was it Japan only?