Problems with a TMNT pcb.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I got a TMNT pcb and when I tried it wont boot it does nothing, the pcb is very beat up and when I compare with other pcb it has two components missing, the ones marked in the photo. I don't know what are those and what they do. Maybe there are more issues with the board but right now that is what I found missing everything else is there.

TMNT_PCB2.jpg

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Those two circled items are the clocks for the audio section. You won't get sound or music with them missing.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Those two circled items are the clocks for the audio section. You won't get sound or music with them missing.

Bingo, no sound effects or music.

But that alone would not stop the board from booting, meaning at least to the rom check bios screen. The only things that could do that is going to be 68K/program rom or faulty tilemap generator customs.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I'll take picture of the board itself because is very bad, it does not do the rom check, it had some traces that I patch from underneath and a broken leg from one of the chips that I also have to do some jump.
In the pics those are the most significant damage I found everything else looks normal.
DSC01247.JPGDSC01248.JPGDSC01250.JPG
The traces I check and they have continuity.

The 68k at least physically looks ok.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Check the continuity of the program roms to the 68k.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Sorry I'm not an expert on this, are the program roms the 5 with the stickers or the 4 square ones?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The blue things are called ceramic resonators. The value would be printed on them.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
ok I check continuity from the 68k to the programs rom and some of the pins have continuity and other not. Another thing I forgot is that when I turn it on it does something like the Nes when you turn it one and keep resetting or blinking.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
ok I check continuity from the 68k to the programs rom and some of the pins have continuity and other not. Another thing I forgot is that when I turn it on it does something like the Nes when you turn it one and keep resetting or blinking.

Which ones don't have continuity? That kind of stuff is important in helping you getting it to work again.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Well according to the schematic I download every pin from the 68k that goes to both 1MJEDEC and both 27515 have continuity including the 5v and ground. The pins 24 on the 1MJEDEC and 22 on the 27515 cant check them out because I don't find the CPG2 that also says NW1CS and NROMCS.

But all other pass.