Problem with Metal Slug 3 MVS

Kcsims

n00b
I am having problems with a Metal Slug 3 MVS cart. The sprite graphic are heavily corrupted. I have tried cleaning the contact with alcohol, but no changes. None of my other carts have problems like this. Anything I should check for on the PCBs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Could be a bad C-ROM, bad NEO-CMC or bad trace(s).

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Post pics of what it looks like. Perhaps try a more abrasive contact cleaner.

Kcsims

n00b
ms3.jpg

Text appears fine, but as can be seen the graphics are screwed. All my other games work fine. Playing on an Omega system. Tried cleaning with alcohol, any suggested contact cleaner?

Thanks!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That looks like the CMC (BIG SMT chip) went bad on the CHAFIO board. You will need a new CHAFIO board if that's case. You will then have to transplant the C roms on to the good CHAFIO board
BB

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I hope OP doesnt mind if I share issues im having with my mslug3 carts... I feel like ive been cluttering the board up enough with my issues. So I currently have two mslug 3 carts that ive unfortunately have gotten off ebay. Both of which came in pretty bad shape. I thought the second sellers pics looked good but i was woefully mistaken. The first cart had an audio issue. no amount of cleaning seemed to help. When I got the second cart the audio was perfect however when I got to mission 3 there was a lot of weird garbled horizontal lines. I checked the stage on the first cart and it ALSO has the same issue. Both carts pins are in pretty bad shape, scratches, worn off gold, etc. Ive already tried cleaning the contacts of the second cart with dexoit but the issue persisted. I already got my money back for the first cart but what are the odds that both carts would suffer the same issue on the same stage because of bad contacts?

pics: http://imgur.com/a/iiLlZ

video: https://youtu.be/IvEwJp6Oa2Q

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I see it. What motherboard are you using? Two different carts with the same problem is most likely the mother board.
BB

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I see it. What motherboard are you using? Two different carts with the same problem is most likely the mother board.
BB

its an mv1t. im waiting for a 161-1 in the mail. I wanna see if it happens on the metal slug 3 on the multicart as well.

edit: so I got the 161-1 cart today and the problem is still there on stage 3. So I guess that means its the MVS *sigh*. So whats the next step I should take here to getting this fixed?

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Do you have any issues with any other games? If you are having issues with other games it would make it easier to detect the problem. The multi-cart is known to have buggy translations so I'm not referring to that.
I would suggest purchasing another motherboard as it would probably end up being cheaper in the long run.
BB

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Do you have any issues with any other games? If you are having issues with other games it would make it easier to detect the problem. The multi-cart is known to have buggy translations so I'm not referring to that.
I would suggest purchasing another motherboard as it would probably end up being cheaper in the long run.
BB

the only other game I noticed any kind of issue was Metal Slug X. It had some minor flickering during explosions but only some times. Every other game ive played on it seems fine.

edit: forgot I had pics http://imgur.com/a/iF0vS

Last edited: