Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon PCB? Your thoughts...any good? Prices?

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Has anyone played or own the Sailor Moon PCB. Hows the game play? I've seen the price range from $200 - $400 is that about right?

Any thoughts about the game is helpful...contemplating getting it for my daughter. My cab is in her room.

Last edited:

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
I own it.

I would rate it as a definitely above average beat em' up with great graphics(both character sprites and environments). It was developed by Gazelle and published by Banpresto. While the game has a lot of visual style it may not appeal to some if you don't like anime or Sailor Moon.

The current ebay prices for it are bat shit insane. I bought mine like 6-7 years ago and I think I paid $120-130 for it shipped. A good game, but I don't think you should pay over $200 for the game shipped.

I think the prices are just really out of whack because people are trying to take advantage of the Sailor Moon collectors market.

- TGM

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I've played the PCB at Otakon and since I'm a huge fan of the anime, manga etc I downloaded it right away once I knew there was an arcade game for it.

I have to say honestly its one of the worst video games I've every played in my life. The game's a VERY bad Final Fight clone. The problem is the game is WAY too cheap. Characters do shit for damage, you get swarmed by enemies left and right and your special attacks often don't work. I played the game on MAME with unlimited credits and I just gave up. The boss characters have a way to position themselves on the screen so you get hit and you can never hit them.

The Super Famicom Sailor Moon games are much better and also, much cheaper then the arcade game goes for. I'm a huge fan of the series and I have a lot of the video games they've made with Sailor Moon, but after playing the arcade game, I would never plunk down money for it, even just to show off to other fans that I had something different. It's THAT bad.

I would look for a cheaper game, or if your daughter is a Sailor Moon fan, just look into getting the Super Fami games. Their cheaper, and much better then the arcade game is.

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
YuckMud makes some good points. The game is super cheap. That alone could really frustrate younger folks. You definitely might want to try it on MAME first and see if its something you really want to invest in.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "bad" Final Fight clone though. While FF is a game a lot of folks fondly remember playing it honestly has not aged well. So far as beat 'em ups go I would rate it as being only average and extremely cheap to boot.

- TGM

zapatistab

Thanks for the info...I can see her playing it for a day then giving up due to the difficulty. I have a Mame disk a friend made for me years ago...maybe the game is on there.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
That's a dreamcast bootleg emulator running one of the super fami or mega-drive games.

Actually, that's running the Beats of Rage games of Sailor Moon. I actually met the guy who helped program that game. I knew because it looks like a cross of the arcade and home version. Of course, he's got it up to download for free, so I guess this dork just slaps on a quick label and tries charging stupid people for something they can get for free.

zapatistab

Actually, that's running the Beats of Rage games of Sailor Moon. I actually met the guy who helped program that game. I knew because it looks like a cross of the arcade and home version. Of course, he's got it up to download for free, so I guess this dork just slaps on a quick label and tries charging stupid people for something they can get for free.

Hook me up with one for my JP Dreamcast and I'll pay for shipping :)

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I own the game as well and it is just above average but the sprites and animated specials are pretty cool. I have not found it to be THAT difficult though. I would say Final Fight is actually cheaper than this title. Having just played through FF on X360 with GreenMachine I almost never want to play FF again.

Too many people have rose tinted glasses for Final Fight and Double Dragon. Yes Double Dragon basically set the beat-em-up craze in motion and Final Fight made everyone get in on the action but being the early birds, they kinda suck now. Most of the stuff that was released in 93-95 was true gold:

Zero Team
Shadow Force
Alien vs. Predator
Ninja Baseball Batman
Violent Storm

I could play Zero Team or AvP over and over. I can't say the same for Final Fight or Double Dragon.

I am actually thinking about writing a FAQ for this game. (I do not like the sailor moon anime in any way). As a fighting game fan, I was surprised because while I first thought that the game was horrid too, I experimented with the engine a little more, and last time I played the game 2 years ago, I counted 5-7 different kinds of jumps you could do. There is a ton of depth to the game's engine, it is a shame it was only ever used for a Sailor Moon game.

edit: And I don't think I touched the final boss without using magic, even once. Ever.