pre internet days 80s and 90s games magazines

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
EGM, Game Fan, and Nintendo Power were all on my subscription list. Occasionally a Gamepro from the pharmacy here and there.

gamefan.jpg

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I still have a bunch of my NP, EGM, and GamePro. It's fun to flip through them, my son does as well and says "Hey there's Mario and Sonic" "oooo what's this game with Bonk".

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Growing up in the UK, I always enjoyed C&VG and Mean Machines. From the age of 11 to 16 I worked for a newsagent delivering papers. I'd often leaf through the mags after work. The US mags didn't really interest me at all and neither did the official Nintendo propaganda publications.

I agree with you mate. We got all the mags over here but I could never warm to the US ones like EGM, Gamerpro etc. I just found them full of advertisements and light on detail even though they seemed like they were 200 pages.

British mags were where it was at back in the day. Super Play, Mean Machines, Zzap, C&VG etc. Funny, informative, glorious glorious things they were. I used to look forward to the mags more than the games sometimes.

MEAN YOB was fucken great! :lolz:

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Still have all my old gamer mags.
I miss gamersrepublic and gamefans

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Loved opening up Gamepro and EGM in the late 80s and early 90s, was my only source for upcoming games. All my friends had Nintendo Power which was cool, but I always liked Gamepro and EGM way more with articles and the stuff they showed.

Anthony1

n00b
I remember getting GameFan issues from 1993 thru 1996, and every time I got one of those issues, it was a dream come true. Each issue was a treasure chest of information. Plus the magazine actually used decent paper and had great RGB scans of all the games. The proof reading in Gamefan was nonexistent, and they were often too hyped up on everything. Halverson would treat the average misc. platformer like it was a gift from God, but still.... that magazine was all that a bag of chips back at that time. Nothing could touch it. I'm talking early days GameFan. First 4 years or so.

The other magazine that was super amazing back in 95, 96 and 97 was Next-Generation. (USA version of Edge kinda) Their reviews sucked, but man... they covered the business side of the industry so well. So many great interviews. Also, they could hype up a game and a new technology like none other. They were the absolute masters of hype. They would hype the hell out of something way before it came out, and then never talk about it again. If you go back and look at those old Next-Gen issues, there is so many games that they gave like 3 or 4 pages to that ended up getting cancelled or whatever...

Still a great magazine...

Next-Generation-May-1997-480x643_c.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree with you mate. We got all the mags over here but I could never warm to the US ones like EGM, Gamerpro etc. I just found them full of advertisements and light on detail even though they seemed like they were 200 pages.

British mags were where it was at back in the day. Super Play, Mean Machines, Zzap, C&VG etc. Funny, informative, glorious glorious things they were. I used to look forward to the mags more than the games sometimes.

MEAN YOB was fucken great! :lolz:

thing is in England we grew up on Beano and Dandy and maybe Viz (not me), so the humor, the way it was all constructed I think came from that heritage.
even the early days of CEX had that thing happening in and around it.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Used to read mainly CVG, Mean Machines (didnt really like when they split it up later on into separate Nintendo and Sega publications), Super Play and EGM (when it was in stock). A good source for scans of these old mags is the Out of Print Archive website - still quite enjoy reading a few features or reviews from back in the days about a game before actually playing it.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I will never part from my Super Plays and Nintendo Magazines. Too much great memories.

Back in school we nerds always fought over reading the new PC monthly when it came to the library. "Struggle of the giants" the jocks called it. :lolz:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'm young af and I was introduced to video games when I was 4 or 5, in '96/'97 when my dad took me out and we bought a PlayStation. the only thing I remember fondly is when Final Fantasy VII was all over the PSM magazines and others. We would get PSM in the mail and you bet I'd sit there and look at them all day and fantasize about Cloud Strife and Tifa Lockhart what with all the fan art they'd put in those things. i cant believe it took me almost 20 years to be completely open about having had a lifelong crush on Cloud Strife

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I bought the EGM magazine at ridiculous prices at a train station near where I lived - it was the only place where they had those foreign mags :) (and covered the NeoGeo, which I didn't own but adored ;))

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
thing is in England we grew up on Beano and Dandy and maybe Viz (not me), so the humor, the way it was all constructed I think came from that heritage.
even the early days of CEX had that thing happening in and around it.

i think we've had a similar upbringing there, D. i remember beano and dandy mags really well. desperate dan and his cow pies, lol. the mags usually came with a lollipop to. and CEX was my holy grail for games back in the day.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
EGM was expensive ag down here but I'd pick it up occasionally. It was epic!

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Currently working my way through Super Play magazine. Just finished 17 the other day. Plan to buy the rest I don't have and read through them all cover to cover. Best gaming mag I've ever read, even better than EGM. Any Euro member wanna help me locate the rest I need?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
These were great reading materials on the shitter...You can only read a bottle of shampoo so many times...I also like going to grocery stores(Albertson) to read one when they come out. I bring a piece of paper & pencil to copy down moves, codes & secrets.

LOL...this was me early on, I had no scratch for the magazines. I would go grocery shopping with my mom and then head straight for the magazine section...notepad in hand. I got caught a few times and they would bust my balls about it.

Later on in the early 90's, I had one buddy with a Nintendo Power sub, and another with an EGM sub. I had the Die Hard Game Fan. Between the three of us we had the bases covered. By the mid 90's, it seemed only DHGF had the nuts to give a game a bad review. By the late 90's, they were gone (I think). EGM became a pile of ads and fluff articles...the dream was gone.

I picked up a Nintendo Power sub in the mid 2000's to get a free copy of the GC Zelda collection...that was the last time I had a magazine sub.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Currently working my way through Super Play magazine. Just finished 17 the other day. Plan to buy the rest I don't have and read through them all cover to cover. Best gaming mag I've ever read, even better than EGM. Any Euro member wanna help me locate the rest I need?

What is noteworthy is that it was one of the only mags which had good technical articles for its time regarding technical aspects related to importing games / consoles from abroad, PAL/NTSC differences, explaining the differences in various video output standards and even how to fix the blown SNES fuse. This was at a time when with reference to the latter other mags were advising stuff along the lines of 'the electronics in your console had been damaged, u need to buy a new console' :oh_no:

-SD-

Camel Slug
Mean Machines was a fantastic magazine, shame it lost a lot of its personality when the split happened, although MM Sega was a more enjoyable read than Nintendo Magazine System.

Super Play is probably the greatest video game related publication ever. It's also the magazine that introduced me to anime and manga through its varied articles. And huge adverts for Manga Mania.

C&VG was never one of my favourites, I'd only get it if there was nothing else worth reading. But I did have The Beano and Sonic the Comic delivered until I was about 15.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm a hoarder, so I've still got every single video game magazine I ever purchased, save for one Game Informer I chopped up for a high school collage project. I have big stacks of EGM, Gamepro, Diehard Gamefan, PSM, Game Players, Nintendo Power, Game Informer, etc. As I mostly only buy games from the 8-32bit eras, their news is still "current" in a silly way to me. I often leaf through them, both for nostalgia, and because I can frequently find games that I had completely forgotten about and want to try again or for the first time.

I agree that, pre-internet, they were the best, and often only, way to get information about what was coming down the pipeline, codes, etc. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them unless I absolutely had to, although it would be nice to have them all on some kind of digital media with an index that I could search.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
LOL...this was me early on, I had no scratch for the magazines. I would go grocery shopping with my mom and then head straight for the magazine section...notepad in hand. I got caught a few times and they would bust my balls about it.

Later on in the early 90's, I had one buddy with a Nintendo Power sub, and another with an EGM sub. I had the Die Hard Game Fan. Between the three of us we had the bases covered. By the mid 90's, it seemed only DHGF had the nuts to give a game a bad review. By the late 90's, they were gone (I think). EGM became a pile of ads and fluff articles...the dream was gone.

I picked up a Nintendo Power sub in the mid 2000's to get a free copy of the GC Zelda collection...that was the last time I had a magazine sub.
one time in the early 2000s me and my friend went to the grocery store, right into the magazine aisle, and started ripping open magazines and pocketing the demo discs for PS2 and XBOX. there was an undercover cop with a jeff gordan windbreaker on watching us the entire time. got busted. i didn't understand what i did wrong

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm a hoarder, so I've still got every single video game magazine I ever purchased, save for one Game Informer I chopped up for a high school collage project. I have big stacks of EGM, Gamepro, Diehard Gamefan, PSM, Game Players, Nintendo Power, Game Informer, etc. As I mostly only buy games from the 8-32bit eras, their news is still "current" in a silly way to me. I often leaf through them, both for nostalgia, and because I can frequently find games that I had completely forgotten about and want to try again or for the first time.

I agree that, pre-internet, they were the best, and often only, way to get information about what was coming down the pipeline, codes, etc. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them unless I absolutely had to, although it would be nice to have them all on some kind of digital media with an index that I could search.

Same here. I have nearly all NP made from the beginning up until the late 90s, a ton of random EGM's, and the first 2-3 years of Die Hard Game Fan...minus that no. 1 issue...never could get my hands on that.

I have my original, complete 1st issue of Nintendo Power framed and hanging in my office.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I remember begging my mom at the grocery store to buy a egm mag. Those mags really were special back in the days.