pre internet days 80s and 90s games magazines

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, I had Sega Visions as a sub when I was a kid because they would give them away with some game purchases/registrations. I've still got piles of those left at my parents.

I would occasionally beg my mom for an EGM or something else when we were at the grocery store, those weekends were always the best as I'd spend hours pouring over the magazine and looking at all the new screenshots.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
GamePro, when I was still young enough to find LamePro funny.

Also had a sub to Dreamcast magazine.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
GamePro, when I was still young enough to find LamePro funny.

Also had a sub to Dreamcast magazine.

I hated GamePro...I'd read it if there was nothing else available, but it seemed like they were the first to start taking the "we love everything!!!" approach. I remember often seeing high scores for total shit games in their mags...

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I remember getting GameFan issues from 1993 thru 1996, and every time I got one of those issues, it was a dream come true. Each issue was a treasure chest of information. Plus the magazine actually used decent paper and had great RGB scans of all the games. The proof reading in Gamefan was nonexistent, and they were often too hyped up on everything. Halverson would treat the average misc. platformer like it was a gift from God, but still.... that magazine was all that a bag of chips back at that time. Nothing could touch it. I'm talking early days GameFan. First 4 years or so.

The other magazine that was super amazing back in 95, 96 and 97 was Next-Generation. (USA version of Edge kinda) Their reviews sucked, but man... they covered the business side of the industry so well. So many great interviews. Also, they could hype up a game and a new technology like none other. They were the absolute masters of hype. They would hype the hell out of something way before it came out, and then never talk about it again. If you go back and look at those old Next-Gen issues, there is so many games that they gave like 3 or 4 pages to that ended up getting cancelled or whatever...

Still a great magazine...

Next-Generation-May-1997-480x643_c.jpg

This magazine brings back great memories.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I used to read those all the time whenever i went to the supermarket with my mom. Eventually when i got old enough i did end up getting a yearly subscription to EGM. Good times indeed.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
It's just one of those things that has sentimental value to me. I have a few items like that in my office...

Back wall of my office:
photo_zpsgds2qvoz.jpg
Can i borrow that first issue of nintendo power just kidding.I remember that issue being a freebie by nintendo and if you wanted more you then had to subscribe.That was the only time i did read nintendo power during it's nes era.By the time the genesis,snes and TG16 came out i had move onto egm,gamepro and gamefan by that point.